• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I like Poch’s thinking. New stadium is the key, once we’re in we’ll have no excuses. It’s going to be a game changer.

One more reply to this...

Our "young and inexperienced players" have seen us outperform our financial expectations quite consistently now. Had we finished 6th, sacked the manager and signed new players for £200m getting us to third or fourth would probably been seen as a reasonable improvement.

It's only because of the tremendous performances of these young and inexperienced players that the goalposts can be moved to where their performances are seen as sub par.

It's not the young and inexperienced players that have let us down. It's the likes of Sissoko, Llorente and Dembele that's stopped us from pushing on even further than we have.

Get me more of the "young and inexperienced" players like Kane, Alli, Winks and Sanchez performing like they have and I'll be absolutely delighted.
Er Dembele has been a massive part of us achieving what we have. Just because you don't like him doesn't make that untrue.

Er Dembele has been a massive part of us achieving what we have. Just because you don't like him doesn't make that untrue.
I do like him. I think he's great at what he does well, and he's been an overall very good player for us for many years.

For me he has never stepped up to the level he has the potential to. Unlike quite a few of our younger players. If you look at my post and what I replied to I think it makes some sense and I don't say that I don't like Dembele.

How many players would you classify in the "has been a massive part of us achieving what we have" category?

Wow...surprised that wasn’t one of the funny forum word replacement things that have been happening lately. I see what you’re saying @braineclipse, but it’s incredibly harsh to say he hasn’t played a big part in helping us get to the level we have gotten to. He certainly hasn’t been one of the players stopping pushing us on.

I'm waiting to see how long he continues with this system. We don't look fluid going forward and are finding it hard to build from the back.

Our pressing shape is being passed through for fun and the defence is being left inadequately protected.

Wow...surprised that wasn’t one of the funny forum word replacement things that have been happening lately. I see what you’re saying @braineclipse, but it’s incredibly harsh to say he hasn’t played a big part in helping us get to the level we have gotten to. He certainly hasn’t been one of the players stopping pushing us on.
It's not "incredibly harsh" it's just plain wrong. How can you compare Dembele's contribution to Sissoko and Llorente? He's not so much held us back but held us together at times, even if his powers are waning. The disrespect towards him is extraordinary.

When I read it yesterday I thought there must be something wrong with the site.

I still can't work out a response to the suggestion that Dembele has held us back.

It's not "incredibly harsh" it's just plain wrong. How can you compare Dembele's contribution to Sissoko and Llorente? He's not so much held us back but held us together at times, even if his powers are waning. The disrespect towards him is extraordinary.
Like you and others I was gobsmacked at that comment but tbf I didn't think braineclipse came across as being disrespectful. He was simply putting forward a different if somewhat puzzling take on Dembele's contribution, that is all.

Even HRH Sir Harry gets criticised the moment he fails to score two games running so what chance do the rest of them have?

We started to function so much better when he came on.
+ a sublime pass for Pamela's goal!!

Poch needs Lucas to not just 'runnin around abit' he's everywhere and yet nowhere in the same breath. Puts in a real shift but....

Last edited:
I do like him. I think he's great at what he does well, and he's been an overall very good player for us for many years.

For me he has never stepped up to the level he has the potential to. Unlike quite a few of our younger players. If you look at my post and what I replied to I think it makes some sense and I don't say that I don't like Dembele.

?

For me the bolded bit is spot on, he has/had ability no doubt but he usually never shows it to the fullest ( imo). He is one of those player who frustrate the hell out of me ( and i am sure some of the coaches who have worked with him).

For me the bolded bit is spot on, he has/had ability no doubt but he usually never shows it to the fullest ( imo). He is one of those player who frustrate the hell out of me ( and i am sure some of the coaches who have worked with him).

I don't understand that either. He's a midfielder with a skill set. The things he's good at he excels at and the things he's not good at he doesn't, that in itself is better than most midfielders out there are capable of.

How can that judgement be made as what he's potential level is meant to be when every single player says he's the best player they've played with. That to me sounds like he has fully hit his potential, whether we think he should score more etc isn't the same as saying he hasn't hit his potential, cause then you're trying to add another skill set that he (might) not have the ability to do.

If people were saying he doesn't play at top form often that's different, but also harsh I think. The numbers tell the story of our success when he does/doesn't play. Wanting a player to do x is far from them not achieving what they are capable of.

I don't understand that either. He's a midfielder with a skill set. The things he's good at he excels at and the things he's not good at he doesn't, that in itself is better than most midfielders out there are capable of.

How can that judgement be made as what he's potential level is meant to be when every single player says he's the best player they've played with. That to me sounds like he has fully hit his potential, whether we think he should score more etc isn't the same as saying he hasn't hit his potential, cause then you're trying to add another skill set that he (might) not have the ability to do.

If people were saying he doesn't play at top form often that's different, but also harsh I think. The numbers tell the story of our success when he does/doesn't play. Wanting a player to do x is far from them not achieving what they are capable of.

Fair enough answer mate and you make some good points, but with the amount of ability he has i just feel some time he fails to use it fully. Maybe its because i spent most of my life coaching players for a living ( at a decent level) and because of that i am looking to see the full potential of the player on the pitch in a game situation.

Buts Stop! Hammer time i guess but i do believe that with his ability he could have played at the very top level at the worlds biggest clubs, as much as i love our club we are not one of them ( yet). The fact that he has not/does not may suggest he is not good enough or as i say does not fully deliver on that ability.

Fair enough answer mate and you make some good points, but with the amount of ability he has i just feel some time he fails to use it fully. Maybe its because i spent most of my life coaching players for a living ( at a decent level) and because of that i am looking to see the full potential of the player on the pitch in a game situation.

Buts Stop! Hammer time i guess but i do believe that with his ability he could have played at the very top level at the worlds biggest clubs, as much as i love our club we are not one of them ( yet). The fact that he has not/does not may suggest he is not good enough or as i say does not fully deliver on that ability.

Yeah, I understand and was off the same mindset as you for a long time. But as you know, a large chunk of the game is mental. He might be a player that has sacrificed personal glory for the team, in our eyes making it look like he's underachieving. Or he might not have the belief in himself needed to what it looks like he's capable of....could be none, all or any of a combination of things.

One thing that makes me of the mind that he sacrifices himself for the greater good, is that I can remember games where we needed 'something', Arsenal away for example and then there he was marauding forwards. I played centre mid myself, and there are a large amount of players who play that role who do sacrifice themselves for the team.

Yeah, I understand and was off the same mindset as you for a long time. But as you know, a large chunk of the game is mental. He might be a player that has sacrificed personal glory for the team, in our eyes making it look like he's underachieving. Or he might not have the belief in himself needed to what it looks like he's capable of....could be none, all or any of a combination of things.

One thing that makes me of the mind that he sacrifices himself for the greater good, is that I can remember games where we needed 'something', Arsenal away for example and then there he was marauding forwards. I played centre mid myself, and there are a large amount of players who play that role who do sacrifice themselves for the team.

Again you make good points and i agree fully with the mental side of the game being so important, and it may well be one of the reasons why he does not run the games or do more in them ( his ability should enable him to do). I guess we will never know, he is not getting any younger and with the injurys he keeps picking up i doubt we ever will.

Do not get me wrong he is a very good player but as i said before he does frustrate me ( more then any other player we have) because i believe ( rightly or wrongly) he could do so much more.

Back