• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Ha...and my last line there about principles was written before I read Poch's comments about honesty and lying. Clearly in his mind, he thinks there is no problem if it's honest. But he doesn't appear to be considering that some people may just not want personal details made public, even if it is the truth. I love the guy, and it is true we beat Madrid and Dortmund after it came out, but I really hope there doesn't end up being something more to it. Even if we purely think, Dier has been pretty bad the last few weeks, and the most interesting story in the book came out about him.

What was said about Dier?

All of the Mourinho stuff? The suggestion that Dier should have done something different and that Mourinho was trying to tap him up?

Having just read Poch's quotes from pre-Watford in full, he does make the good point that - Eriksen is mentally tired but so is Dier. Those two have played the most and are being forced into it due to injuries elsewhere. He also gives Sanchez more of a pass because he travels a lot, and he rotates Son more than anyone bar the full backs, but that is probably because he has the most to do with being a talisman with South Korea.

Hopefully we're about to hit good form again and get back among it. Lamela is back. We can rest players against APOEL - definitely should be giving Foyth a run to rest Dier. Llorente and Son should definitely be playing that game. I really hope Poch is right.

I remember having the same discussions about Eriksen's dip in form around the same time last season. Dier had a tendency to be a bit flaky before this season- great one minute and a liability the next (still love him though). Add to that Dele is young, Aurier is still adjusting, Trippier is not quite as good as Walker was and Rose is just coming back from long term injury. Also we have lost big Vic and Alderweireld, 2 key players. It's not difficult to explain a loss of form without having to speculate on the effects of a book, especially as I have not read any reports of sensitive personal information being revealed in the book unlike in Fergie's book. Admittedly I have not got round to reading it yet.

I wouldn't be playing Dele deeper atm because he seems to taking too long on the ball and getting caught in possession a lot, as we saw at the weekend in deeper positions that can be damaging.

With our injuries Sissoko in the middle is kind of forced on us really if we want to play 3 at the back - might be worth going back to 4231 and playing Dier in CM

I think this is sound.
Dele deeper needs a Wanyama or Dier beside him.
One thing (not your point but in this thread) is regarding Son. We have to consider that he might not be able to play every minute of every game for whatever reason, thus managing him? If I remember, did they not think his injury a couple seasons back was chronic and needed management? Some sort of deep planter facsatis (brutal SP!)?

One thing I feel deeply is that we should not panic and trust the manager. I asked around and am assured the book has not had an impact (that was my fear!) so this is just a slump. What is the mystery is how we can avoid having them in seasons to come, and I believe (sadly) that is where the money factors in. We need to have a couple of big changers in the squad to sub on/rotate in, and that will cost money.

This season was always going to be the toughest and if we weather it we will be royal!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think this is sound.
Dele deeper needs a Wanyama or Dier beside him.
One thing (not your point but in this thread) is regarding Son. We have to consider that he might not be able to play every minute of every game for whatever reason, thus managing him? If I remember, did they not think his injury a couple seasons back was chronic and needed management? Some sort of deep planter facsatis (brutal SP!)?

One thing I feel deeply is that we should not panic and trust the manager. I asked around and am assured the book has not had an impact (that was my fear!) so this is just a slump. What is the mystery is how we can avoid having them in seasons to come, and I believe (sadly) that is where the money factors in. We need to have a couple of big changers in the squad to sub on/rotate in, and that will cost money.

This season was always going to be the toughest and if we weather it we will be royal!

We've got to panic. We're in a bloody relegation dog fight. We'll struggle in the Championship you know...

I’m amazed that some people really think the book is a factor behind our recent results.
Do the players train fine all week (which presumably they must do to pass the Poch test for being selected to play) and then when the whistle blows on match day suddenly don’t play well because they are aggrieved at some perceived slight in a book they all knew was in the making and to which many contributed? And maybe they just feel aggrieved for PL games but manage to shrug off that feeling for CL games?
Something is not quite clicking recently but there doesn’t have to be any extraordinary reason for that. It can just be one of, or a combination of,injuries, bad form, bad luck, bad decisions, but nothing more sinister than everyday footballing reasons.

Ha...and my last line there about principles was written before I read Poch's comments about honesty and lying. Clearly in his mind, he thinks there is no problem if it's honest. But he doesn't appear to be considering that some people may just not want personal details made public, even if it is the truth. I love the guy, and it is true we beat Madrid and Dortmund after it came out, but I really hope there doesn't end up being something more to it. Even if we purely think, Dier has been pretty bad the last few weeks, and the most interesting story in the book came out about him.
Dier gave the details. The book is written by Balague as a ‘first person biography’, putting words in Poch mouth.
He said on The Spurs Show podcast that anyone who thinks the book could derail Poch’s Spurs, doesn’t understand the huge impetus and unstoppable awesomeness currently in progress.
Worth a listen. Says Poch is very emotional. Can see auras. Has to have his car running for ten minutes before driving it.

Dier gave the details. The book is written by Balague as a ‘first person biography’, putting words in Poch mouth.
He said on The Spurs Show podcast that anyone who thinks the book could derail Poch’s Spurs, doesn’t understand the huge impetus and unstoppable awesomeness currently in progress.
Worth a listen. Says Poch is very emotional. Can see auras. Has to have his car running for ten minutes before driving it.
"Jesus. Warm my car up"

When did Paul Scholes turn into such a clam? what is his problem with Poch.

What has Scholes had to say?
One thing I remember him saying about 18 months back. He didn't rate Kane in the top bracket because he hadn't scored against Utd...wtf - is that what top strikers are now judged on?
He reckoned he was half a yard short of being a top striker. Of course Kane then knocked one in at the last game at WHL. Mug.

I think that there are a lot of positives to come from the book but the main two are:

1. The money raised is going to charity; and
2. It has given us fans an insight into the club and what goes on. A much better and more truthful insight than we have every had before, but still careful with what was and was not disclosed. We have been crying out for more information for ages, and there is no real scandal in there that we didn't really know about. What we do learn is just how harmonious the set up is, and the way Poch thinks which is exactly what I certainly want.

The book is not a reason for the loss of form, but in some ways it is a nice distraction. I'd rather people say the book is the reason rather than the usual clap trap of we don't spend enough.

For me, the loss of form can be attributed to a number of factors, but specifically that our players have played a lot of football and we have had a number of niggling injuries. Playing at Wembley is something that is new as at home games our players are covering significantly more ground. Poch and his team won't have worked out the best recovery phase for us. It has to be said that it would not surprise me if a young team also started to believe its own hype. Before the Arsenal game, I don't think I have ever seen such positive things written about us in the press. If I've never seen it, I am sure our players would have never seen it. Then there's Alli and the fact he is auditioning super-agents, and doing a lot more media activities. What Poch is doing now is resetting their focus. He's reminding them of what got them to where they are and what they need to continue to do.

That is why I think we need one more leader in our team. Someone that will demand players up their game, because we just don't have that. Maybe Lamela with his extra energy and pressing is that, because it sets the tone, but I am talking about a Gattuso, Viera, Keane type.

Having said all of that, the Christmas period is going to be crucial. We have always done well out of this period under Poch, and I hope that continues.

looking at how we are now playing it reminds me al lot of how we did under redknapp.
all i see is a loose formation - and leave everything up to the players ingenuity

not so much tactical discispline in attack or set pieces - nothing repeatable even simple schoolboy tactics like fast break down the wing and early cross (which Emirates Marketing Project recently employed to good effect).

redknapp didn't have a great defence and it kept shuffling due to king's availability, poch without alder seems to have lost his king too.

just saying. rant over.

My view was that it was too early to write such a book .First win something or even a few things.I did get the book and its an enjoyable read but am still of the opinion that the book shouldn't have been written yet.There are several reasons why we have gone off the boil the main being injuries to alderwierld and wanyama and several others including Kane not being fully fit.Tactically maybe we have been found out a bit and need to adjust we have become a tad predictable .Does any of this explain why we couldn't beat Wba,Leicester or Watford probably not because we should be beating them with whatever team we put out and whatever way we set up.

looking at how we are now playing it reminds me al lot of how we did under redknapp.
all i see is a loose formation - and leave everything up to the players ingenuity

not so much tactical discispline in attack or set pieces - nothing repeatable even simple schoolboy tactics like fast break down the wing and early cross (which Emirates Marketing Project recently employed to good effect).

redknapp didn't have a great defence and it kept shuffling due to king's availability, poch without alder seems to have lost his king too.

just saying. rant over.

Come on! Do you believe that??????
Poch relies heavily on a system where he has strong, mobile DMs...why do you think he wanted Wanyama the way he did?
He not only lost Toby, he lost his wing-backs too when one decided to act like a clam last season and the other decided to act like a clam, finagle his way back into good books only to act like a total fudging clam again!!!!!!!
I am amazed that you do not see the tactical shape he employs during games, how he changes that shape and how the players he has fit it (for the most part)...

Come on! Do you believe that??????
Poch relies heavily on a system where he has strong, mobile DMs...why do you think he wanted Wanyama the way he did?
He not only lost Toby, he lost his wing-backs too when one decided to act like a clam last season and the other decided to act like a clam, finagle his way back into good books only to act like a total fudging clam again!!!!!!!
I am amazed that you do not see the tactical shape he employs during games, how he changes that shape and how the players he has fit it (for the most part)...

I think people, including myself, talk out of frustration. Spectacular improvement over the past two seasons has bred a false expectancy that we should be challenging for the league. We are certainly at the best level we have been at for a long time in terms of the infrastructure (players, manager, stadium*, board members, facilities etc). And to end the season with the number of consecutive wins that we enjoyed, bar the West Ham loss, had many believing that this would be a very good season and that we had chance to finally achieve something of note, something that we had been building towards achieving - glory.

Yet, our form this season can, and has been questioned. I have raised my points in a prominent manner. We have not played as well as we are capable of for most of our matches. Wembley, of course, can be blamed but, let's face it, we did ok away from home last season at grounds which were not necessarily suiting our style. Yet this season, we can't play well at Wembley, and struggle even on our away days. We are top 6 but I feel we could be so much more.

I did raise the point about a lack of depth for Eriksen earlier this season. And so, it has proved as Eriksen is not on top form, he's been closed down more by opponents & we have no plan B, as we've also lost our wingbacks. I can understand why we are struggling at times...but...it doesn't mean that I'm not frustrated with our form. To be frustrated is a sign of passion, not apathy, so all those who shout 'plastic fans' at people who raise their concerns couldn't be further from the truth in most instances. I can't just close my eyes and pretend that everything is ok when we should be striving for more than 'ok'. Is that really our level when in the past we've talked about glory, and aiming for the highest that we can be?

So to those who will aim to shut down discontent, please appreciate that we are all on the same side and that frustration is every part a side of the game. I guarantee you that a LOT of you, if you watched us lose 1-0 and fail to turn up, wouldn't be full of words of support about how great we are. We talk about what IS, we talk about the NOW, not the past, as achievements mean nothing if they cannot be sustained. And no one can know the future, so whilst we all hope for the best, we do not know that it will be so.

I do think though that those with frustration could be served to employ some sense. Were anyone to call for Pochettino to go, then I too would think they were naive. Whilst I talk about now, we can't change managers every time we have a drop in form. We keep faith and see where that takes us. He has brought us to our highest level, but he will be judged on what happens from here.

I hope my post makes some sense.

I think people, including myself, talk out of frustration. Spectacular improvement over the past two seasons has bred a false expectancy that we should be challenging for the league. We are certainly at the best level we have been at for a long time in terms of the infrastructure (players, manager, stadium*, board members, facilities etc). And to end the season with the number of consecutive wins that we enjoyed, bar the West Ham loss, had many believing that this would be a very good season and that we had chance to finally achieve something of note, something that we had been building towards achieving - glory.

Yet, our form this season can, and has been questioned. I have raised my points in a prominent manner. We have not played as well as we are capable of for most of our matches. Wembley, of course, can be blamed but, let's face it, we did ok away from home last season at grounds which were not necessarily suiting our style. Yet this season, we can't play well at Wembley, and struggle even on our away days. We are top 6 but I feel we could be so much more.

I did raise the point about a lack of depth for Eriksen earlier this season. And so, it has proved as Eriksen is not on top form, he's been closed down more by opponents & we have no plan B, as we've also lost our wingbacks. I can understand why we are struggling at times...but...it doesn't mean that I'm not frustrated with our form. To be frustrated is a sign of passion, not apathy, so all those who shout 'plastic fans' at people who raise their concerns couldn't be further from the truth in most instances. I can't just close my eyes and pretend that everything is ok when we should be striving for more than 'ok'. Is that really our level when in the past we've talked about glory, and aiming for the highest that we can be?

So to those who will aim to shut down discontent, please appreciate that we are all on the same side and that frustration is every part a side of the game. I guarantee you that a LOT of you, if you watched us lose 1-0 and fail to turn up, wouldn't be full of words of support about how great we are. We talk about what IS, we talk about the NOW, not the past, as achievements mean nothing if they cannot be sustained. And no one can know the future, so whilst we all hope for the best, we do not know that it will be so.

I do think though that those with frustration could be served to employ some sense. Were anyone to call for Pochettino to go, then I too would think they were naive. Whilst I talk about now, we can't change managers every time we have a drop in form. We keep faith and see where that takes us. He has brought us to our highest level, but he will be judged on what happens from here.

I hope my post makes some sense.

An excellent and balanced post IMO. I may not agree with the overall perspective but I can respect and appreciate articulated frustration. My biggest concern at these times is feeding outside forces. So knee-jerking, to me, feeds exterior negative narrative. A reasoned viewpoint such as yours is far from that mate.

FWIW I was very very concerned about this season. Between the temp home, expectations, rivals spending 200 million and summer long wage disruptions, I was concerned. Tis why for me top4 was all I hoped for, with next season the push-on.

In so many ways the move is happening a year too early. One more season at the Lane would’ve bridged that 200 mill gap IMO...

Back