1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Mauricio Pochettino

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by DubaiSpur, 27 May 2014.

1. billyiddo

billyiddo Jimmy Cantrell Staff Member

He's had to shop in the bargain basement and i doubt whether he's had a single first choice signing in the last 3 or 4 years. This summer we had some money to spend and on paper look to have bought well - as with all top managers if they are allowed to buy the players they want for their teams they generally do well - see Klopp at Liverpool and Guardiola at City, both struggled until they had several windows of big incoming transfers.

2. billyiddo

billyiddo Jimmy Cantrell Staff Member

this, some people have gone off the deep end recently and it's a sad sight to see

Last edited: 21 Oct 2019
    parklane1, Yermiyahu and thfcsteff like this.
  3. the goat

the goat Stuart Nethercott

you seem to be forgetting last season, from Feb last year we were awful in the league, we were lucky to get to the CL final, against Emirates Marketing Project & Ajax it wasn't Poch's tactics that got us the result it was a bit of luck and moura just having a mad spell, its easy of me as I never was a Poch supporter, (I don't think getting players fit so they can press is a tactic, what happens in training ? they can't be practicing corners or free kicks or defending, we can't be this bad if we practice them)

4. the goat

the goat Stuart Nethercott

in the Leicester season we were mentally weak, both players & manager, Poch said we will learn for the season, but did he bring in mentally strong players or mental physiatrist ? we are still weak

5. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

Eriksen’s meteorology is a thousand miles from Modric’s. It is why Modric is at Real Madrid with a brickload of CL winner medals under his belt, whereas Eriksen isn’t.

6. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

Frankly it appalls me.

7. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Colin Calderwood

I wasn’t at the game on Saturday. But what do people make of Poch’s comments about the fans? I know people who were at the game and they said considering what was served up and how bad we are currently the atmosphere was good.

It’s not like he can point to a toxic atmosphere at home games and everything is hunky dory on our travels either because our away form is even feckin worse!

galeforce likes this.
  8. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Vedran Corluka

I think on Aurier, and generally the other players that will be out pretty soon, is he is responding to something I thought about Walker.

If we’re to understand it correctly, Walker went to Poch in the middle of a title race and said his heart wasn’t in it anymore. He was then shocked that Poch dropped him for the big games. My opinion on this is that I can’t believe Walker is that thick, to not understand why that happened to him. But footballers are a special breed.

Footballers will say they want to leave and yet expect to play if they are still contracted to one club. It is ridiculous, and it is not how we as fans would reasonably expect to act if we were in the same situation. But they are footballers, and I think Poch has to deal with that. It isn’t optimal, but not doing it this way could make things even worse more quickly.

thfcsteff likes this.
  9. Mikey10

Mikey10 Terry Fenwick

It’s a developing narrative in which it’s never Poch’s fault. It was “agendas” a few weeks ago. Before that it was because he was “a coach not a manager.” Now it’s the fans.

Another sign that it’s over, I’m afraid. It reads like the last weeks at every club Mourinho’s ever managed.

10. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Dean Richards

The "lucky to get to the CL final" narrative gets my back up.
    The one true piece of luck was Inter not beating PSV in the last group game, which allowed us to go through to the knock-out stages, after a well-earned away draw against Barca.
    Beyond that we still had to negotiate difficult ties against Dortmund, City and Ajax which we did. Is getting correct decisions via VAR deemed as luck? Or was it rather things falling for us as they should? Are we the first team ever to play through a competition without being the best team in every single game?

I'm not disputing that there are a lot of issues now, nor that there were issues last season. But let's not dismiss getting to the final of the biggest competition in club football as mere luck. That does a huge disservice to everyone.

11. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Vedran Corluka

Read the entire quotes in context. Picking at one line out of many isn’t helpful to anyone.

Yermiyahu and thfcsteff like this.
  12. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Sergei Rebrov

You're taking Pochs word on that from his book. Walker disputed his version of events if I'm not mistaken.

13. harr1984

harr1984 Pat van den Hauwe

Whether you want Poch out or not, looks like he will be given this season at the very least unless involved in a relegation battle. So might aswell accept this is going to be a painful one of transition and once Lo Celso and Sess have been integrated into the team look to see if we start to get an upturn in performances. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool have all had a season or two of transition before going again - we arent good enough or big enough to just stay up around the top 2/3 forever, it's probably just our turn to take a step back.....

RunTMC, parklane1 and glasgowspur like this.
  14. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Sergei Rebrov

Fair enough. It is harsh but I think fair. My main problem is not with results. If you have a manager for the long term you'll get spells like this particularly with the restrictions we have. What is unforgivable in my eyes is how Poch has conducted himself over the last few months. He had endless credit in the bank for me 12 months ago but he's behaved like a child and that's because he has no clue how to fix this.

SylDave and Mikey10 like this.
  15. Junior19

Junior19 Paolo Tramezzani

I was there, and I felt the atmosphere was rather subdued. It was nervous, and for long periods you could hear a pin dropped.
    People joined in on songs and chants, but it all died away rather quickly again, there were no sustained singing/chanting like before. It felt very eerie at times.
    And that total silence at the end of the match was just weird.

We need to get back into the groove, players and fans alike.

Even though we just managed to fork out a point in the end, I thougth there were a few encouraging things to see, most notably that the players (most of them, at least) do care. Body language and expressions clearly said that. Of course, some are more expressive in that language, but you clearly saw Son, Alli, Kane, etc, were not happy with just 1-1.

Watford were absolutely ridiculously compact, and we should know how to deal with that. I'm not sure if it would have helped if we still had Fernando Llorente, but at least he gave the defenders a different threat to handle. All our subs had impact on the game, Son immediately bought more pace and determination to the front, and Lamela too was much more direct and purposeful, and just bringing them on bought Dele much more into the game, and I thought he looked better in the tight spots in the second half than he have been for a while.

We need to rebuild confidence. We need a few feel-good experiences, and it would be a good thing to start this tuesday. It should not be hard to motivate the team towards the Liverpool-game, and it will be a completely different type of game.

Finney Is Back and glasgowspur like this.
  16. Mikey10

Mikey10 Terry Fenwick

I have read them, thanks. My opinion remains the same.

And these are the latest in what is now a long line of baffling pronouncements. Many on here excuse them, usually because they are “taken out of context” or because “Poch’s English isn’t great”. It does seem, though, that more and more of the players are taking them at face value, hence those wanting out and our pitiful level of PL performance over many months.

17. tynesidespur

tynesidespur Jason Dozzell

I thought we were poor again on Saturday and only sparked into life after we finally scored.
    It was good to see some karma strike on Ben Foster with a mistake after all that time wasting again.

It was interesting to watch Liverpool on Sunday who should be flying but got worse as the first half wore on and never really looked like scoring in the 2nd half until Lallana popped up at the back post late on. You would've had your house on Liverpool running riot given United's recent form but they looked disjointed and poor - with just 1 key player removed from the line-up.
    It just goes to show it can happen to any team on any given day.

I was expecting us to bounce back after the Bayern game but now it looks like a bigger issue. Its clearly knocked the players' confidence very badly. I think they're taking extra touches which is slowing the tempo and they generally seem uneasy & nervous in case of making a mistake. We really need to dig out a win to get past this.
    The players also look quite unfit. They're not closing down effectively, never mind pressing. And they're also missing tackles they should make - Rose in particular but Toby/Jan too.
    I still think the issue stems from midfield, Watford were comfortably able to breeze past Winks - a problem that we've masked for nearly 12 months because we've had a confident strike force to bail us out. I don't feel we can persist with him at the base any longer. His lack of physicality and now the fact he's out of form when in possession means he needs to sit out for a while. N'Dombele and a defensive partner need to be paired to stiffen things up. If needs be add Sissoko in to make us obdurate and physical in midfield.
    Lamela, for all his weaknesses, is a man in form and not hiding. He needs to be in the starting line-up too. I would be happy to see Dele to continue to play his way into form. We need Son in the XI.
    For me, Kane is treading a thin line. He was another who was running through treacle at the weekend. He's shown some good performances this season mixed in with being completely invisible at other times. Watford was one of those. If needs be he should drop deep and get involved because he offered absolutely nothing. Time to stand-up and be counted.
    I agree about the calls for Davies & Sanchez to be drafted in at this stage.

I think the vast majority of the players care deeply about the current situation. Toby, for all he is badly out of form, didn't hide on Saturday and improved as the game went on. He also needed to be consoled by Dier after Conolly skinned him for the 3rd goal at Brighton. There was no shrug of the shoulders.

These are all difficult decisions for Poch. He isn't sitting on his hands - he's making sweeping changes to line-ups and formations each game to try and find the right chemistry/dynamic. Unfortunately nothing is working. I suspect the dressing room leaks about the diamond may have had an element of truth since he seems to have listened and ditched it.

I don't think changing manager is going to bring about a change of fortune at this stage. I do think he needs to make the changes above and also integrate Sessegnon & Lo Celso very quickly to try to change the general direction/mood.

Bullet, Yermiyahu and glasgowspur like this.
  18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Chris Jones

Toby gave the ball away 27 times I believe... he can’t have had that many touches
    That’s shocking for ANY player
    He was also the one caught when docoure ran past him

winks could be the best in the world but when you have defenders who can’t run and can’t defend your fudged

19. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

Sorry for cutting the rest of you post ( which i also agree with) but this section is one i have 400% agreement with.

As most will know i am a big fan of Eriksen ( and think he has been our best player over the last few seasons) but as you say Modric is different class to him and most CM players over the years.

Good post.

20. Raziel

Raziel John Lacy

Well I stand corrected ..

Obviously Poch is greater than any other manager, there is no way he could expect to beat the might of Watford, Brighton & Colchester with a squad like ours, and having scored 1 goal in those three games is completely understandable, after all it's not like we have a PL & WC golden boot winner backed up by multiple goal scoring attacking midfielders.

We the club and fans must worship him, must accept a close to 50% loss ratio over more than a season, if he needs another season (who cares about CL anyway), if he needs to sell 7 players and the club has to spend 200M it is the least we can do for this guy who is the most successful manager we have every had, after all, we have never made CL or been a runner up in a cup before he joined us ..