• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I wouldn't have said that many mate. I would say a quality young right back, and a playmaker/ game changing player (could be a striker or midfielder). Thought we might have gone in for iheanacho in that respect. Who were you thinking out of interest?

well for me i want to see a a starting XI and a good second XI with some youngsters in and around making up the numbers

Lloris, Vorm
Trippier,
Rose, Davies
Alderwiereld,
Vertonghen, Wimmer
Wanyama, Dier
Dembele, Winks
Alli,
Son,
Eriksen, Lamela
Kane, Janssen

KWP, CCV etc as additional squad players

as a starting point leaves us short in RB, CB, and attacking midfield

My biggest concern is that if we lose Rose after losing Walker we may get to a time when Poch will simply say he has had enough

Depends what his motivations are. I think he believes in running a club the correct way and achieving success honestly. I think he apreciates the power and influence he has at Spurs. Rose and Walker leaving wont bother him. What might bother him is not being able to get the players he wants. That doesn't mean he is demanding big names, far from it, he knows the restrictions at Spurs and I'm sure he picks his targets accordingly.

My biggest concern is that if we lose Rose after losing Walker we may get to a time when Poch will simply say he has had enough

It'll come down to whether he is happy to have sold Walker and potentially Rose if that happens as he says or whether he is just paying lip service

Is it going to get to the point where Poch will be frustrated that we are not paying the wages the players want and having to sell 2 or 3 first team players because they spat their dummies out?

Is it going to get to the point where Poch will be frustrated that we are not paying the wages the players want and having to sell 2 or 3 first team players because they spat their dummies out?

Possibly. It might also be that Poch understands the position that we are in and is happy to see a certain amount of player turnover in order to raise money to invest in improving the squad.

How many clubs can pay those wages though? He seems bright enough to understand that we need to be careful right now, but starting next season we'll have more money to play with.

One coach I keep thinking about in relation to Poch is Diego Simeone. He's been at Atletico (who is also opening a new stadium) for about six years, and in that time, he's competing with much richer clubs and had to sell a number of huge players who are better than Rose or Walker, basically one per season. De Gea, Turan, Felipe Luis, Falcao, Miranda, Costa, etc. A good chunk of those players weren't nearly as successful without him, and it looks like Costa will join Luis by returning this summer. He's got a similarly dicey record when it comes to big transfers — for every Greizman (30), there's big money flops like Gamiero, Jackson Martinez, Savic, etc — but he's done incredible at improving players who buy into his system. By all accounts, when players want to leave, he lets them walk and rebuilds with a nice combo of youth and mid/early 20's players. There's also plenty of long-standing players (Koke, Godin, Juanfran, Saul, Gabi, etc), who rejected bigger teams and wages b/c they loved playing for him so much.

The main difference between the two is, obviously, trophies, and I think that's going to be really important for Poch and the squad this year. If Levy and co can prove to Poch that we can continue to be competitive and he's allowed to run the club his way (this is also massively important), there's a decent chance we can convince him to stay for at least a good few more years. All that I care about is that Levy back him. If he thinks he can replace Rose with Shaw or whoever, go for it. If Poch thinks he needs another year from Rose, keep him. I don't think Barkley is that good, but if Poch does, sign him. Mauricio is obviously the most important person at the football club, and I think as long as Levy doesn't forget that, we should be in good shape.

Another thing that just popped into my head... Simeone has had to sell a bunch of players, but he almost never sells them to La Liga teams. I'm not sure if that's possible with English players, but if Dele, for example, pipes up about leaving, I'd really hope we'd send him to Bayern or Madrid or something.

Last edited:
Possibly. It might also be that Poch understands the position that we are in and is happy to see a certain amount of player turnover in order to raise money to invest in improving the squad.

Assuming those players are actually brought in...

Assuming those players are actually brought in...

gMCsxdX.gif

One coach I keep thinking about in relation to Poch is Diego Simeone. He's been at Atletico (who is also opening a new stadium) for about six years, and in that time, he's competing with much richer clubs and had to sell a number of huge players who are better than Rose or Walker, basically one per season. De Gea, Turan, Felipe Luis, Falcao, Miranda, Costa, etc. A good chunk of those players weren't nearly as successful without him, and it looks like Costa will join Luis by returning this summer. He's got a similarly dicey record when it comes to big transfers — for every Greizman (30), there's big money flops like Gamiero, Jackson Martinez, Savic, etc — but he's done incredible at improving players who buy into his system. By all accounts, when players want to leave, he lets them walk and rebuilds with a nice combo of youth and mid/early 20's players. There's also plenty of long-standing players (Koke, Godin, Juanfran, Saul, Gabi, etc), who rejected bigger teams and wages b/c they loved playing for him so much.

The main difference between the two is, obviously, trophies, and I think that's going to be really important for Poch and the squad this year. If Levy and co can prove to Poch that we can continue to be competitive and he's allowed to run the club his way (this is also massively important), there's a decent chance we can convince him to stay for at least a good few more years. All that I care about is that Levy back him. If he thinks he can replace Rose with Shaw or whoever, go for it. If Poch thinks he needs another year from Rose, keep him. I don't think Barkley is that good, but if Poch does, sign him. Mauricio is obviously the most important person at the football club, and I think as long as Levy doesn't forget that, we should be in good shape.

Another thing that just popped into my head... Simeone has had to sell a bunch of players, but he almost never sells them to La Liga teams. I'm not sure if that's possible with English players, but if Dele, for example, pipes up about leaving, I'd really hope we'd send him to Bayern or Madrid or something.

The similarities between us and them are huge

The only difference is that they play in such an un competitive league where their one of 3 sides that can win the league where as we have double that

But 100% it's the club id most compare us to and I used the example of Felipe Luis as an Example last night of how a manager can make a player better

Yep, throw the toys out the pram and blame it on not enough money to spend. When the going gets tough, AVB gets going.

First season, lose Modric before a ball's been kicked - lose out on a direct replacement because Levy spent four months haggling for Moutinho and ended up haggling past the deadline (something he was probably quite happy with, in the end). Figure out that Bale is ready to become a world-class CAM, play him there and finish with a record points total anyway, despite having a defense unsuited to any sort of high line or pressing game. Next season, lose Bale, lose out on multiple first-choice targets (from Villa to Willian) and get told to integrate the alternate Magnificent Seven into the side straight away, no time allowed for adjustment or adaptation.

But yes, it was *AVB* who threw his toys out of the pram in that scenario. Sigh.

Back