• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So best team in the country for two seasons, by what measure?
Were we ever at the top of the table?
Was it the cups we won?
And with a team he inherited, so why did sherwood or AVB not get us up the table?

1. By common consensus, we were the most attractive team in the PL in the Leicester and Chelsea seasons. In the calendar year we achieved more points than all our rivals. Iirc, we scored most goals and conceded fewest as well.
2. No - primarily due to a lack of winning mentality. The games against Leicester were pivotal and we drew away and lost at home - conceding late goals in both games where we were by far the better team. Win those two games and there is a 9 point turnaround. We were serial bottlers unfortunately. It still rankles.
3. None - primarily due to the low priority given to cups by Poch
4. Players inherited included: Lloris, Walker, Verts, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane whilst Dier and Dele were other peoples doing. I do not doubt he improved certain players, but with that nucleus already in place, he was given a hefty head start. I think the team he inherited had already finished fifth ( a considerable achievement under those two!!!)and under Redknapp we finished fourth, twice.

So best team in the country for two seasons, by what measure?
Were we ever at the top of the table?
Was it the cups we won?
And with a team he inherited, so why did sherwood or AVB not get us up the table?

I think it best to move on personally mate. We will all always have different views as to what Poch did for us. Personally speaking, I feel he did incredible things for our club, built many careers from virtually nothing and helped create the reborn giant we are seeing. For me, if we win a big pot this season, I will sing a song (perhaps for myself) and it will be "Mauricio Pochettino - he built this -you know!" I will never forget him, but Mou is evidently the driver who can bring this glorious vehicle across the line, so I support him and all his staff (ballboys included) until such time as they turn clamy!!!!!

1. Most attractive doesn't mean best. There's no two seasons trophy. We were the most consistent, not the best.

2. Leicester and Chelsea had no European campaign and as I remember it considerably less games than us. Fatigue at the end of the season played a part in it.

3. Can't argue with that. His remit though was to get us CL. We did get to a final and a sf only to get knocked out by "bigger" clubs. During the rebuild of the stadium rebuild I'm sure the CL money was more important than a league or f a cup.

4. Another thing I find strange, we've got the best team in the league and yet other than son and Harry go through their threads on here and there's a fair amount of people saying they're not good enough.

Last word on this, until the Leicester season did anyone ever say we were a title contender? No, and yet as you have pointed out the team hasn't changed that much.
So why change, we haven't brought in a world class player, there's been no rebuilt squad, in fact until possibly this set he squad has gone backwards.

I think it best to move on personally mate. We will all always have different views as to what Poch did for us. Personally speaking, I feel he did incredible things for our club, built many careers from virtually nothing and helped create the reborn giant we are seeing. For me, if we win a big pot this season, I will sing a song (perhaps for myself) and it will be "Mauricio Pochettino - he built this -you know!" I will never forget him, but Mou is evidently the driver who can bring this glorious vehicle across the line, so I support him and all his staff (ballboys included) until such time as they turn clamy!!!!!

I have moved on, there's absolutely nothing I can do about what happens at the club so I don't stress or worry about it.
It is what it is.
People at the club change, the constant is the club.
I can't not challenge a rewriting of history though, 6 months ago the narrative was we were over achieving, now its poch has held us back.
It's laughable.

1. Most attractive doesn't mean best. There's no two seasons trophy. We were the most consistent, not the best.

2. Leicester and Chelsea had no European campaign and as I remember it considerably less games than us. Fatigue at the end of the season played a part in it.

3. Can't argue with that. His remit though was to get us CL. We did get to a final and a sf only to get knocked out by "bigger" clubs. During the rebuild of the stadium rebuild I'm sure the CL money was more important than a league or f a cup.

4. Another thing I find strange, we've got the best team in the league and yet other than son and Harry go through their threads on here and there's a fair amount of people saying they're not good enough.

Last word on this, until the Leicester season did anyone ever say we were a title contender? No, and yet as you have pointed out the team hasn't changed that much.
So why change, we haven't bought in a world class player, there's been no rebuilt squad, in fact until possibly this set he squad has gone backwards.

I did.

The players we had and the state of everybody else.

This will sound catty or sarcastic but it's not meant too, well done.
I never thought we win it until maybe end of Feb, but those hopes didn't last long, Leicester had to much momentum and good will going their way.

This will sound catty or sarcastic but it's not meant too, well done.
I never thought we win it until maybe end of Feb, but those hopes didn't last long, Leicester had to much momentum and good will going their way.

I was absolutely 100% that we’d win it at that point, in what universe could little Leicester, with their team of average journeyman hold off the juggernaut of Spurs.

I was equally confident last year, we’d got our dodgy period out of the way and had an easy run, I expected us to emerge from our shell, win comfortably at Burnley then win out the schedule.

I was quite bullish at the start of this season too, surely 3 months off and the exceptional business we did in the summer would make this season a gimme for Poch and his crew.

Jose now, next season you can bet your house on us.

So why change, we haven't bought in a world class player, there's been no rebuilt squad, in fact until possibly this set he squad has gone backwards.

In my lifetime the only time we genuinely challenged before Poch was 87!!!

I’ve never grown up expecting a spurs side to compete for anything other than league and FA cups. Never the title and never ever ever the CL final

I have moved on, there's absolutely nothing I can do about what happens at the club so I don't stress or worry about it.
It is what it is.
People at the club change, the constant is the club.
I can't not challenge a rewriting of history though, 6 months ago the narrative was we were over achieving, now its poch has held us back.
It's laughable.

I agree with you of course, but I think sometimes people don’t quite mean what they are saying in the way it is taken? As we know, in life, history sadly gets rewritten - there are always people who remember, if only so as when the stories are told years later they are accurate. Modern history is bizarre!!!!

It's interesting how people who were up in arms at the idea we would lose Pochettino a year or two ago have now reached the conclusion he didn't really do much of a job
Not sure that’s fair - I haven’t seen anyone say he didn’t do a very good job let alone not do much of a job. But every manager in modern football has an expiry date, at the top level you don’t get managers coaching the same team for a decade or so and it’s difficult to know when the managers expiry date is until you see the signs. How many more signs did you want? The results were ridiculously bad over a long period of time. The football at both ends was awful. Poch himself looked burnt out. As difficult as it is for some to accept this is the best for all parties. We still have a shot at getting CL and even a trophy maybe this season. Had Poch continued? No chance.....

Not sure that’s fair - I haven’t seen anyone say he didn’t do a very good job let alone not do much of a job. But every manager in modern football has an expiry date, at the top level you don’t get managers coaching the same team for a decade or so and it’s difficult to know when the managers expiry date is until you see the signs. How many more signs did you want? The results were ridiculously bad over a long period of time. The football at both ends was awful. Poch himself looked burnt out. As difficult as it is for some to accept this is the best for all parties. We still have a shot at getting CL and even a trophy maybe this season. Had Poch continued? No chance.....

Im not talking about the opinions based on the last year of his reign - thought that was pretty clear.

Back