• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Less upheaval, less cost and it can be done at any time

The cost I always think is a bit of a red herring.
Tally up the outgoing compo, possible in coming compo, an increase in salary and most managers want a budget to refresh the squad and is any money really being saved?
At best it's deferred imo.
It's easier though to blame one guy, get him out and move on and up.
Well easy to say, seldom actually makes anything any better.

The cost I always think is a bit of a red herring.
Tally up the outgoing compo, possible in coming compo, an increase in salary and most managers want a budget to refresh the squad and is any money really being saved?
At best it's deferred imo.
It's easier though to blame one guy, get him out and move on and up.
Well easy to say, seldom actually makes anything any better.

Flexibility of timing is probably biggest factor, you can pick the moment.

Look at United with OGS, picked the easiest run of games for season, he got great run on the off.

very fair.

I appreciate our new boss is like marmite.

felt very emotional after what @DubaiSpur wrote about poch, and I’m not trying to hide that there’s some guilt and shame on my part, that’s all I can say.

I don’t think he will cause lasting damage, I certainly hope not, he’ll no doubt be more concerned about fixing the here and now, rather than thinking about tomorrow.

right now I think we need that.

Thanks steff and always best to you also.

I think you make a very fair point re: here and now mate.

I am sad but it has happened, so onwards.

Flexibility of timing is probably biggest factor, you can pick the moment.

Look at United with OGS, picked the easiest run of games for season, he got great run on the off.

Yes, players hold way more cards than the manager.
They can make you ir break you.

Apologies.
I was simply trying to praise your post and did so from the context I have been reading your comments for some time.

That context might explain why youve been so narcy with me, but it was never my point of view.

I saw the poor performance, and the writing on the wall - Tuesday night came with resignation, not surprise - that is all.

Ive argued for months now the things I wanted to see Poch doing to right the ship, it was never a case of my wanting him out or not rating him or anything.

Though I appreciate your post.

Seems quite prophetic, doesnt it? Perhaps a lesson should have been learned.

All of this talk of cycles and refreshing has got me wondering. Of all the top teams in the top leagues, how many refresh the entire squad for a manager whose performances have dropped off, against those who just replace the manager.

My gut feel is that it's the manager who gets replaced.

It is.

And the new manager might get some funds to spend, perhaps that the old one wouldnt - but he also tends to get more of a tune out of those same players/squad in apparent need of a refresh.

Chelsea is a classic example, looking utterly past it one minute and title contenders the next...

All of this talk of cycles and refreshing has got me wondering. Of all the top teams in the top leagues, how many refresh the entire squad for a manager whose performances have dropped off, against those who just replace the manager.

It will almost always be the manager. Firstly because it is the easier option (and often cheaper) and secondly because I think probably most managers have a period of 4-5 years before their ideas start to get stale and boring to that group of players.

It is what made Ferguson particularly unique (and to a much lesser extent Wenger as well).

I think when people mention the refreshing of the squad, it isn't that they're saying we need to replace half of the squad now. It is that football squads need constant refreshment, constant investment, otherwise things get boring and results suffer. This happened even with generational managers like Ferguson.

So the argument was that we'd need to refresh more than usual because we've spent the last 18 months standing still, whilst our rivals have mostly tried to improve. So the consistent churn of 2-3 players per window ends up needing to become 6-9 players overall because we've stood still. And in football, that means you go backwards.

I also see the argument that regardless of this, Poch was doing a far worse job than he should have been doing this season. From an outsider's perspective, I feel this is partly due to burnout and for his own sake, I hope he takes a bit of a rest before coming back to football energised and ready to take on another big project.

None!!!
They have all replaced the manager
Most that didn’t react quick enough slip
Look at Dortmund, Ajax, Liverpool, Monaco, inter... all sides that did amazing well but let things slip. Then also didn’t necessarily find the next appointment the right one so it’s tricky
The only caveat is they didn’t appoint a proven manager either
IMO it’s took Ajax 10 years to become a force again
Dortmund... well Klopp quit when he had them at their lowest (very very similar to what we had with Poch)
Liverpool struggled after slippy G
Monaco.. not sure what’s happened there and possibly it’s an outlier
Inter are only now looking like a real top side
AC Milan can’t seem to get anything right since their giddy heights too

It will almost always be the manager. Firstly because it is the easier option (and often cheaper) and secondly because I think probably most managers have a period of 4-5 years before their ideas start to get stale and boring to that group of players.

It is what made Ferguson particularly unique (and to a much lesser extent Wenger as well).

I think when people mention the refreshing of the squad, it isn't that they're saying we need to replace half of the squad now. It is that football squads need constant refreshment, constant investment, otherwise things get boring and results suffer. This happened even with generational managers like Ferguson.

So the argument was that we'd need to refresh more than usual because we've spent the last 18 months standing still, whilst our rivals have mostly tried to improve. So the consistent churn of 2-3 players per window ends up needing to become 6-9 players overall because we've stood still. And in football, that means you go backwards.

I also see the argument that regardless of this, Poch was doing a far worse job than he should have been doing this season. From an outsider's perspective, I feel this is partly due to burnout and for his own sake, I hope he takes a bit of a rest before coming back to football energised and ready to take on another big project.
It certainly looked a lot like the burnout I've seen people suffer from before.

Tbf I don’t think Poch is like marmite....I haven’t met a single Spurs fan who doesn’t love Poch and have fond memories of him. But there became a growing consensus that he had taken us as far as he could with his methods. In the end I think it was the right time for all parties to part ways, in fact in hindsight probably the right time was after the CL final - it probably would have been more understandable and easier to stomach. I’ve a feeling Levy would have started to have been concerned about Poch some time ago, those consistent negative sound bites many on here wanted to make excuses for were probably an indication that things weren’t well behind the scenes. But Levy would have persisted with him recognising what a great job he had done to date. Reading between the lines it seems more and more issues came to the surface and alas we are where we are. Some are happy that he has gone viewing this as the end of the road for him here, some wanted to give him more time but I have no doubt practically every Spurs fan will have memories to cherish of his era and will be eternally grateful. Just that for some the grieving process will be a lot longer than others. I’m confident we will move forward positively under Jose, and it’s important all fans get on board and we get that feel good factor back in this new era....

Fair comments.

Levy wins again, mean he will pay a fraction (Poch will be in a role by beginning of next season)

Obviously it's SSN so take it with the requisite pinch of salt, but it is basically what I predicted when everyone was saying we'll be on the hook for £30m if we let Poch go.

Not sure I see it as "winning" rather than simple prudence/good business

And I do genuinely hope Poch takes the money and has a break rather than rushing back into management

Obviously it's SSN so take it with the requisite pinch of salt, but it is basically what I predicted when everyone was saying we'll be on the hook for £30m if we let Poch go.

Not sure I see it as "winning" rather than simple prudence/good business

And I do genuinely hope Poch takes the money and has a break rather than rushing back into management

Similar to you, wasn't mean in a bad way other than Levy rarely ends up on the wrong side re money.

However I'd agree with last part, he needs a break, looks a lot like burnout.

Back