• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matthijs De Ligt

I really hope we sign this kid. I think he'd fit in well with us. Crazy to think we could have a 22 and 18 year old CB pairing next season. But Verts will be ever present hopefully. Does it all depend on United stumping up the cash for Toby?

That’s a shame, but had a feeling this would be the case when reading reports that Poch is gonna ‘put his faith’ in Foyth.

Maybe it's more likely Toby is staying...was never quite convinced on the De Ligt signing, not because he's not a good prospect, but us signing him revolves us on us promising him first 11 football. With Jan and Sanchez, possibly Toby, definitely Foyth, it didn't exactly chime with the new wave of signing more experienced players to help us take a step up.

I feel like someone like Mawson would be a more realistic squad option who would be happy to come here to try and prove himself. Lasalles probably has the precise mentality Poch is looking for (and maybe this is why he has been high on 2CV, I think he thinks he will come good eventually because he has the attitude of a winner and a hard worker, where as clearly an Edwards doesn't). I wonder if we could get Saudi Sportswashing Machine to sell Lasalles...but even then he'd want to be starting every game and I'm not sure he would here.

It's interesting - if this was 3 years ago I think we'd be straight in for De Ligt and would be able to promise him everything. But now if we really are trying to make the step up and challenge for the league and CL, we are going to have to sign more experienced players, we are going to have to take less re-sale value, and it will be a delicate balance moving from one strategy to the other. I'm sure Levy has a handle on it but moving into a new way of operating will always bring uncertainties.

I really hope we sign this kid. I think he'd fit in well with us. Crazy to think we could have a 22 and 18 year old CB pairing next season. But Verts will be ever present hopefully. Does it all depend on United stumping up the cash for Toby?
If I were Levy, I wouldn't depend on selling Toby first. Even if we keep Toby another year, this kid is solid gold and we'd have our CB pairing sorted for the next 10 years.

Back