• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings v City

cokester

Phil Gray
Friedel 6
Walker 6
Assou-Ekotto 6
Kaboul 7
King 5
Lennon 6
Modric 5
Parker 7
Bale 6
VDV 6
Defoe 6

Livermore 6
Pienaar n/a

Friedel 6
Walker 6
Assou-Ekotto 6
Kaboul 7
King 5
Lennon 6
Modric 5
Parker 7
Bale 6
VDV 6
Defoe 6

Livermore 6
Pienaar n/a

Friedel 7- dealt well will a couple of through balls, not really at fault for the goals but without we could have conceded more
Walker 5 - not too impressive, his passing was a little wayward at times, didn't track nasri for the first goal.
Assou-Ekotto 5.5 - had a bad start making a number of mistakes, but improved in the second half
Kaboul 7 - A rock at the back. Hope he keeps this kind of form for a long time.
King 6.5 - Made one single mistake and was unfortunate that it ended up the deciding factor, tracked aguero well and blunted a number of city movements.
Lennon 6 - didn't get forward on the right too much with clichy on a card, seemed more settled when he switched to the left.
Modric 5.5 - linked up well in the center, unfortunately was a little too deep to really control and influence the game.
Parker 8 - Our player of the match in my mind, will put his health on the line for the cause, closes players down, doesn't have a goal threat, but does everything asked of him.
Bale 7 - was invisible in the first half, made a couple of good runs in the second and a beautiful goal at a crucial moment, almost won us the match with a late pass...
VDV 5 - didn't really do much at all, dropped far too deep... he is so much more effective up the field...
Defoe 6 - Good movement for his goal, composed, unfortunate not to finish it off at the death...

Livermore 5 - passed alright, didn't really do anything of notice...
Pienaar n/a - not on for long enough.

Friedel - 7

Walker - 5
Kaboul - 7.5
King - 6.5
Ekotto - 5

Lennon - 7
Modric - 6.5
Parker - 7.5
Bale - 7

Van der Vaart - 5.5
Defoe - 6.5

Friedel 7 - not much he could do about the goals, looked solid and made some decent saves

Walker 5 - okay, some decent tackles and forward bursts but where in hell was he when we needed him most?

Kaboul 9 - Magnificent - an absolute beast and for me our MotM

King 5 - how sad! He's beginning to look a shadow of his former self. The old King would have won that tackle against Balotelli, no danger

BAE 6 - the usual mix of brilliance and bollox. Lucky not to give away a pen first half

Lennon 6 - some good moments but not in the game enough for me. Seldom goes past his man nowadays

Modrich 6 - not at his best, never seen him lose possession so much, but more influential late on

Parker 7 - kept giving the ball away cheaply early on but superb second half

Bale 8 - thought Souness' criticism was a bit harsh on him at HT until Bale proved his point with a much more adventurous second half. Excellent goal and what could so agonisingly have been the winning assist for Defoe

VdV 6 - worked tirelessly tbf but offered little in the way of attack, playing far too deep and leaving Defoe isolated up front

Defoe 6 - took his goal well but always outnumbered up front so he was never going to win or keep possession until things opened up for him late on. So frustrating he was inches away from what might well have turned out to be the winner

Livermore 5 - did okay

P

I am so baffled by the the low ratings for king.

Apart from that one mistake he was superb, albeit kaboul was better, but king was class

I am so baffled by the the low ratings for king.

Apart from that one mistake he was superb, albeit kaboul was better, but king was class

Baffled by this myself.. he shut off many city avenues.. i supposed people are more swayed by the deciding end of game factor...

Players I feel strongly about

Freidel - Excellent
Ekotto - fudging brick
Bale - crap except for his goal
King - Silly mistake, cost us the points

Friedel 6- Could have commanded the box better, good rushing out at times

Walker 5 - Badly at fault for the opening goal, City got in behind him a few times.

Kaboul 6 Solid in the air

King 6 - Calm throughout; un Ledley like tackle in the last minute. The man has won us more games than he has lost. I cannot remember the last time he made an error

BAE 6 - Bad decision making today. Didn't seem as calmed and composed compared to usual

Lennon 6.5 good dribbling in the city box but didn't really have the support he needed.

Parker 5.5 didn't get near a city player at all and slowed down play by not passing quicker. Good headed tackle on Richards. Ran around a bit but left a big hole for the inside forwards and AMs of City to exploit. We should have started the game with 2 dm.

Modric 6.5 decent passing worked very hard but he is not a DM

Van der Vaart 6 good balls to begin with but faded, worked hard to find space but unlucky against a City team that were set out well tactically.

Bale 6 - Brilliant goal, rubbish in the first half good in the second

Defoe 6 - Well taken goal, should have done better on the last chance

Livermore 6 Hassled well, passed tidily. Lost possession once

Pienaar - What was the point of this subsitution?

In the end we were outnumbered in CM. City's widemen come inside and make it a 3 man Am, whilst Milner and Barry held.Thats all 5 men in the centre. We played with 2 AM and parker holding and we leave ourselves wide open. City can rely on Barry or Milner to recycle possession quickly and in a forward direction. We couldn't get near a City man, and when we did have possession we isolated the midfield from the defence. The possession starts were very similar but City where more incisive. This game shows the importance of a good hold up striker, we would have penetrated more with a decent striker up top to hold the ball up once we shift the attacking play into the final third.

Players I feel strongly about

Freidel - Excellent
Ekotto - fudging brick
Bale - crap except for his goal
King - Silly mistake, cost us the points

Get a grip man.

Not a football conspiracy theorist but after today I have to wonder....

Friedel (7) = Did well and collected the ball when needed. Good save form Aguero too.

Walker (5) = Thought he was poor today. His positional sense was all over the place.
Kaboul (7.5) = Thought he was very solid.
King (6.5) = minus half a mark for the last seconds, otherwise solid.
Ekotto (5) = Bad game from Ekotto. Bad decision making, bad passing, just bad.

Lennon (6) = Ok performance. Provided width but should have got at Clichy more.
Modric (6) = Solid game but didn't get involved much.
Parker (7.5) = Our best player along with Younes. Worked hard and tracked back as usual.
Bale (7) = poor first half but good second half. Great goal.

VDV (5.5) = Did nothing. Needs to get himself more involved in general play.
Defoe (6.5) = I think he did well considering he doesn't usually play well up top by himself. Was feeding off scraps but got a goal and did well when he did have the ball.

Friedel (7) = Did well and collected the ball when needed. Good save form Aguero too.

Walker (5) = Thought he was poor today. His positional sense was all over the place.
Kaboul (7.5) = Thought he was very solid.
King (6.5) = minus half a mark for the last seconds, otherwise solid.
Ekotto (5) = Bad game from Ekotto. Bad decision making, bad passing, just bad.

Lennon (6) = Ok performance. Provided width but should have got at Clichy more.
Modric (6) = Solid game but didn't get involved much.
Parker (7.5) = Our best player along with Younes. Worked hard and tracked back as usual.
Bale (7) = poor first half but good second half. Great goal.

VDV (5.5) = Did nothing. Needs to get himself more involved in general play.
Defoe (6.5) = I think he did well considering he doesn't usually play well up top by himself. Was feeding off scraps but got a goal and did well when he did have the ball.

What a load of toss these "ratings" are....if we had held on, youd all have given everyone 2 more marks, just because you felt good.

What a load of toss these "ratings" are....if we had held on, youd all have given everyone 2 more marks, just because you felt good.

If we'd held on king might have gotten +0.5, as he only lost it for the penalty...

But that's about the limit of the changes...

Friedel 6 - didn't deserve to have 3 put past him
Walker 6 - average, still has a lot to learn
Assou-Ekotto 6.5/7 - not too bad but could've been better
Kaboul 8 - best player I thought
King 6 - gets a six because of his stupid error, what were you thinking ledley!!???
Lennon 7 - looked sharp, and I thought he should've stayed on the pitch
Modric 4.5/5 - worst player on the pitch, didn't get involved enough, he has been poor since Swansea away and needs to be dropped to wake him up in my opinion - pull your finger out Luka!
Parker 7 - good game from Super Scott, could be better when in possession though
Bale 7 - poor 1st half but came alive in the 2nd, great goal too!
VDV 6 - average, him and Defoe doesn't, and will never work
Defoe 6 - might've scored, but should've won us the game, he also isn't good enough to play upfront on his own, we need another striker similar to Ade - Remy gets my vote - strong, quick, and scores.

Livermore 6 - not too bad, but didn't do much really
Pienaar n/a - not on long enough

The ratings I posted were if anything even better than what I'd already noted down on paper before the end, when it was still looking like we might win. The changes I made were to ADD one point to Kaboul (up from 8 to 9) after reflecting on what was for me an amazing overall contribution (including an assist for Defoe's goal), to ADD one to Bale's for his superb late run that all but led to a winning goal and to REDUCE King down by one from the six i'd given him prior to the pen.

Last edited:
Back