• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings - Saudi Sportswashing Machine

I hate mason too :D

Lamela was frustrating me as well in the first half. Am I saying he's a world beater? Am I saying he's amazing? No, I'm saying he's the best option we have and it was nice to see us improve with him in the team. Mainly for his work rate and movement, add in improved passing and decision making and we could have some player.

There are situations where a team plays well DESPITE a player rather than because of him, you know?
Eh? No clue where you get your ideas from, but I haven't spacegoated Paulinho as far as I can recall, beyond freely admitting that he's been poor for most of the time he's been at the club. Most of the time I've avoided commenting on him overall, since the 'this is what happens when we spend money' arguments would likely have emerged as soon as I did.

Not really sure what your problems are, although given that you seem to be at least as unhesitatingly critical of Lamela as you accuse me of being of Paulinho, perhaps 'projecting your own insecurities outward' is one of them.

Did I come out saying "anyone except Lamela" before the game as many did for Paulinho? The only reason I am unhesitantly critical of Lamela now is because he was a total and abject disaster against Saudi Sportswashing Machine - as everyone posting during the match confirmed!

As someone said in the game thread, in the first half we playing with 10 against 12 because every ball Lamela got ended up in a Saudi Sportswashing Machine player's feet.

But with you, it's anyone except you pet hate Townsend, isn't it?

All your accusations of pet hates and spacegoats sound rather hollow given your own crusade against Lamela.

Did I come out saying "anyone except Lamela" before the game as many did for Paulinho? The only reason I am unhesitantly critical of Lamela now is because he was a total and abject disaster against Saudi Sportswashing Machine - as everyone posting during the match confirmed!

So what on Earth does that have to do with my opinion on him not deserving the MoM award for what in my eyes was an average performance? If you think other posters have a bias against Paulinho that informs their views, go and confront them about it. And while you're at it, look at yourself and make sure that you aren't being deeply, almost comically hypocritical yourself when it comes to Lamela, who despite assisting Kane's goal and running himself ragged for 90 minutes was deemed by you as being so terrible as to warrant shooting if he did muck up that aforementioned assist. Christ, man, stones and glass houses.

All your accusations of pet hates and spacegoats sound rather hollow given your own crusade against Lamela.

Crusade? My posts only started during the game.... Once, did I come out and criticise Poch for picking him? Did I saw "any fit player except Lamela"? That is a crusade.

But if that abysmal first half performance (and not much better in the second) is good enough for you - then I beg to differ....

Lamela had a mare today, horrible game and actually would bring down my rating of Poch as he should have been off at half time. In fact Lamela had the game I expected Paulinho to have today. I really cannot see anyway anyone saw that differently.

Re the game, poor barcodes side, our tempo was too slow at times, our dependence on Eriksen/Kane/Chadli shown up again, Eriksen & Chadli a little better than they have been in previous games.

Dier did decently in his RB slot, Rose as always very involved, have to hope his coming off was only a precaution.

Dembele did help when he came on.

Lamela had a mare today, horrible game and actually would bring down my rating of Poch as he should have been off at half time. In fact Lamela had the game I expected Paulinho to have today. I really cannot see anyway anyone saw that differently.

Re the game, poor barcodes side, our tempo was too slow at times, our dependence on Eriksen/Kane/Chadli shown up again, Eriksen & Chadli a little better than they have been in previous games.

Dier did decently in his RB slot, Rose as always very involved, have to hope his coming off was only a precaution.

Dembele did help when he came on.

Pochettino did the right thing I think. Kept him on, gave him a chance to put in a better performance in the second half (as he's done with other players this season). Lamela improved and will be much more ready for the next game as a result.

He's been out of the team for a rather long time, putting in some good performances as a sub recently. 45 minutes where he was poor, but without ever looking like giving up and people just want him straight back out of the team? I don't get it...

Pochettino did the right thing I think. Kept him on, gave him a chance to put in a better performance in the second half (as he's done with other players this season). Lamela improved and will be much more ready for the next game as a result.

He's been out of the team for a rather long time, putting in some good performances as a sub recently. 45 minutes where he was poor, but without ever looking like giving up and people just want him straight back out of the team? I don't get it...

More so when the alternative is Townsend, who hasn't exactly lit up the stage over the last couple of weeks and seems to make our pressing up front curiously disjointed.

Mate, the right side is a huge problem, and honestly it drives me mad with Poch, his stubbornness and inflexibility with this fudging stupid inverted wingers brick. Lamela is not the answer, that first half was about as bad a display as anyone this season, work rate does not fix that. Our problem is, the answer is not Townsend either, he will be just as bad if you put him in the side next week.

How Poch can't see Lennon is much better solution than either of those two is way beyond me.

Lamela (said in other thread) is exactly the same as Soldado, heart, effort, work rate and no result .. its not going to work for either of them at Spurs .. its been two fudging years now

Mate, the right side is a huge problem, and honestly it drives me mad with Poch, his stubbornness and inflexibility with this fudgeing stupid inverted wingers crud. Lamela is not the answer, that first half was about as bad a display as anyone this season, work rate does not fix that. Our problem is, the answer is not Townsend either, he will be just as bad if you put him in the side next week.

How Poch can't see Lennon is much better solution than either of those two is way beyond me.

Lamela (said in other thread) is exactly the same as Soldado, heart, effort, work rate and no result .. its not going to work for either of them at Spurs .. its been two fudgeing years now

This has been discussed so many times already, but it seems to me rather likely that it's not just performances on the pitch or ability that meant Lennon was used so sparingly and allowed to leave on a loan deal. If that is beyond you, been discussed extensively. If you've missed those discussions, I suppose we could re-hash it...

It's been 2 years, it's also only been 23 league starts for a 23 year old player whose clearly willing to work hard and try... I'm getting used to the lack of patience I suppose, but I really think it's too soon to be making conclusions like those you make here.

This has been discussed so many times already, but it seems to me rather likely that it's not just performances on the pitch or ability that meant Lennon was used so sparingly and allowed to leave on a loan deal. If that is beyond you, been discussed extensively. If you've missed those discussions, I suppose we could re-hash it...

It's been 2 years, it's also only been 23 league starts for a 23 year old player whose clearly willing to work hard and try... I'm getting used to the lack of patience I suppose, but I really think it's too soon to be making conclusions like those you make here.

Yeah its been done to death .. its just massively frustrating to see Lennon playing decently when he gets a run and is given either the orders and/or the early ball, and being productive for a side at our level both offensively and defensively.

And we just swap Lamela/Townsend every 3rd week and nothing changes.

I really like Soldado mate, but its not going to happen for him here, I get people want Lamela to succeed, but its not going to happen, honestly .. not hate, not bias, we would be better off putting Pritchard or another academy player in the squad ..

Yeah its been done to death .. its just massively frustrating to see Lennon playing decently when he gets a run and is given either the orders and/or the early ball, and being productive for a side at our level both offensively and defensively.

And we just swap Lamela/Townsend every 3rd week and nothing changes.

I really like Soldado mate, but its not going to happen for him here, I get people want Lamela to succeed, but its not going to happen, honestly .. not hate, not bias, we would be better off putting Pritchard or another academy player in the squad ..

Frustrating, but it seems that you see that there's rhyme and reason behind it? So surely it's not beyond you why its happening?

We haven't actually just swapped Lamela and Townsend every 3rd week. That's far from accurate actually.

Several differences between Soldado and Lamela. Age being the most obvious one, surely one worth noticing. How they fit into the system is another, I see no signs of Soldado being the kind of striker Pochettino wants in his team. Lamela on the other hand is a player Pochettino has used quite extensively and he seems a decent fit at worst.

Like I said, I just think your conclusions are premature.

More so when the alternative is Townsend, who hasn't exactly lit up the stage over the last couple of weeks and seems to make our pressing up front curiously disjointed.
I would like to see Poch compose a team that includes neither Lamela or Townsend as both of them are useless. We can try Dembele on the right, for example, at least in away games. He has played there a couple of times in the past and looked decent.

Our best option for that position is unfortunately in Liverpool at the moment, which is a great shame. Lennon was top class for Everton yesterday.

Bentaleb - 8 - MOTM
Lamela - 5 - Very poor first half, did alright in the second.

All the rest get 6 or 7

Vorm 7
Dier 7
Fazio 7
Verts 8
Rose 8

Bentaleb 7
Paulinho 7

Lamela 5
Eriksen 7
Chadli 7

Kane 7

Thought Lamela was typical Lamela and yet somehow gave the ball away even more than usual. Credit for the assist I guess, but I doubt Townsend would have got much credit for it.

Paulinho, Rose and Verts all excellent. Maybe there is some hope for Paulinho as a squad player, played better than Mason has recently.

The back four looked good for a change. Same team again for Soton.

vorm 6 not much to do
dier 7 decent game at right back. no silly brainfarts like walker
fazio8 he was like a bird in the air. he won everything lol
verts8 best game for a long time. he seem happy knowing that
he could get forward and fazio would sit
rose8 becoming one of the best left backs in the prem
chadli 7good goal not much else
benteleb9 best game for a while
paullino 8 getting hes form back now
erikson 8 hes got the most goals outside the box in the prem
lamela6 first start in a lone time and did not do much apart from 1 throughball
but he tracked back well.
harry kane 7 good goal today and was passing more

well done poch in making changes today
so glad andros back on the bench and good to see
dembele get on the pitch

Vorm 6 - probably blameless for their goal, one or two slight fumbles, distribution decent

Dier 6 - looked a bit at sea first half playing out of position, improved second half but only after allowing himself Walker-like to be sucked out of position for their goal
Fazio 6 - couple of strong tackles, did okay
Verts 6 - unlucky to get booked, got done for their goal, decent otherwise
Rose 7 - looked our best defender but less effective getting forward than of late

Paulinho 7 - at last, starting to look like a player; began to get a bit ragged just before he was subbed
Bentaleb 6 - one dodgy moment when he lost possession leading to a dangerous attack, decent otherwise

Chadli 6 - excellent goal and a couple of decent crosses but profligate with possession in the move that led to their goal and a bit scratchy at times
Eriksen 7 - wanted to see much more of him first half because he was producing some nice touches but after he fluked that goal (or maybe he meant it :D) he got more involved and started to orchestrate our attacks more
Lamela 4 - would have been a 2 were it not for that late assist because he was excruciating to watch most of the game. How he was allowed to stay on the pitch I will never know - give me Townsend every time, even at his infuriating worse he still could not have been as brick

Kane 8 - well taken goal and unlucky not to get at least one more when his bullet header was somehow cleared off the line. Looking like he's got his game back after a tired-looking spell

Subs

Dembele 6 - looked good when he came on
Davies n/a - didn't reall notice him much
Mason 6 - vital intervention at the death to set up our goal=scoring breakaway

Poch 7 - got Paulinho selection right but am still baffled why he kept Lamela on all game

Back