• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings - Burnley

chriches 6 lol hes first start in a long time and does something verts has not managed since xmas and keep a clean sheet
vorm disturbution was good too

Vorm 7
Walker 5
Dier 7
Chiriches 7
Rose 7
Bentaleb 5
Mason 4
eriksen 6
Paulinho 5
Chadli 5
Kane 5

Davies 7
Lamela 6
Townsend -

All the talk during the international break on here was about our poor defensive record, lack of protection for the back 4, relying too much on Lloris, defenders not good enough etc. Perhaps rightly, we've been poor defensively.

Pochettino makes the change with Paulinho to make us more solid, and despite missing Lloris, Vertonghen and Fazio and Walker having a mare and going off injured, we kept a clean sheet and defended rather well.

Cue people furious with Pochettino...

I really don't get it.

If you couldn't see how impotent we were in attack - then I give up!

Vorm 8
Walker 6.75
Dier 8
Chiriches 7.33
Rose 7.66
Mason 7
Bentaleb 6.75
Erikson 8
Paulhino 9
Chadli 7.25
Kane 4

Davies 7.25
Lamela 7.25
Townsend 6.33

Poch 5.75.

You are correct but then our focus should be on Chadli, Eriksen and Kane who were simply abysmal.

My reply was to Brain, and I agree with you that the entire attacking unit was poor today. He was trying to excuse Poch for playing Paulinho in order to try and solidify the defence. So was he playing DM?

I still want to know if anyone can work out our formation today?

My reply was to Brain, and I agree with you that the entire attacking unit was poor today. He was trying to excuse Poch for playing Paulinho in order to try and solidify the defence. So was he playing DM?

I still want to know if anyone can work out our formation today?

It's pretty obvious

Paulinho came on against Leicester and had an excellent 30 minutes, and was crucial in regaining the advantage. So Poch, quite fairly, decided to give him a chance from the start. Why are people so baffled about that? That's what should always be the case... how else would players be motivated and assured that they would be given a fair crack?

As I said, this spacegoating is frankly ridiculous. If Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen and Chadli played anything more than abysmal, we would have had a great chance to win this. Anyone blaming Paulinho is way, way off track.

Vorm - 7... Confident display, did all what was asked of him.

Walker - 4... First half display suggests he's unsure about his own game, and he's a player I've always felt, plays with over confidence!

Dier - 7... Took an elbow to the face but carried on. Did well enough throughout.

Chiriches - 7... Coped well and in both positions he was asked to play.

Rose - 7...Didn't offer that much going forward but did all that were asked of him defensively.

Mason - 3... I know he were on the field, but I'm struggling to recall any of his contributions to the game.

Bentaleb - 4...Similar to Mason , just a bit better. Did enough to put Ings off, when the Burnley forward was through on goal.

Paulinho - 6...First start since the away game to WBA . Coincidental that game was our last clean sheet? Got about the pitch well without really creating anything.

Eriksen - 4...His contribution with the ball was not up to what we expect from him .

Kane - 4...Looked sluggish throughout.

Chadli - 3...Same as, Mason. I know he were on the field, but I'm not sure what his contribution to the game was today.

Subs

Davies - 7...Did well in the center-half role he were asked to play. A good future option.

Lamela - 4...Didn't really get into the game bar putting Eriksen through in on goal.

Townsend N/A...Wasn't given enough time by Poch.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Too many of our players were in that, 'what does he do' zone today. The game was one serious snooze Fest.
Looks like our season will now peter out and whether we get EL or not, I'm not too fussed.
I suspect Poch will be using the remaining games, to give those he's still undecided about one last chance

All the talk during the international break on here was about our poor defensive record, lack of protection for the back 4, relying too much on Lloris, defenders not good enough etc. Perhaps rightly, we've been poor defensively.

Pochettino makes the change with Paulinho to make us more solid, and despite missing Lloris, Vertonghen and Fazio and Walker having a mare and going off injured, we kept a clean sheet and defended rather well.

Cue people furious with Pochettino...

I really don't get it.

Ever heard the term a "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while"? That's not a dig at Poch btw, it was meant for our woeful defence. Are we meant to be pleased that we scraped a hard fought draw against the third worst team in the league? Added to the inept display against Leicester last game.

I don't have that much of a problem with Poch playing Paulinho, let's face it, besides Eriksen and Chadli, the rest of the attacking midfield have ranged from dreaful to average. But, in general, I do find his substitutions to be a bit strange and ill timed. He's the manager, so ultimately the buck stops with him, but the players do have to shoulder a lot of the blame for today also. Chadli and Paulinho seem to be the fall guys, but I thought Mason and Bentaleb were equally poor. I don't quite get what the fuss is about with those two If I am honest. Well Bentaleb I kind of get the hype, he's good on the ball, but just don't really see Mason as anything more than a squad player. Grimsby posted that they offer nothing going forward and no solidity, I don't quite feel as strongly, but I do see where he is coming from.

I know some people will say this is making a spacegoat out of him, however I though Paulinho was desperately poor today. Didnt add anything at all. There's a bunch of others who also didnt contribute much however they're mainly young players (and will therefore have off days) rather than someone who has a lot of international experience.

We've had a decent season relative to my expectations; now looking forward to the summer and a bit of a clear-out

I know some people will say this is making a spacegoat out of him, however I though Paulinho was desperately poor today. Didnt add anything at all. There's a bunch of others who also didnt contribute much however they're mainly young players (and will therefore have off days) rather than someone who has a lot of international experience.

We've had a decent season relative to my expectations; now looking forward to the summer and a bit of a clear-out

If you were to grade Poch, what mark would you give him so far? Not an easy question I know. The defence has been woeful, but he's introduced youngsters and got extraordinary levels out of Kane. Ultimately I would say about par so far. Not bad but nothing special either.

vorm - 6

walker - 2
dier - 5
chiriches - 6
rose - 6

mason - 4
bentaleb - 4
paulinho - 4

eriksen - 5
kane - 5
chadli - 3

About right for me, except I'd give Chadli a 4 because he got a couple of so-so attempts from range on target first half.

Rose was our best player today.

A starting line-up full of out of form players who looked less motivated than their opponents served up exactly what most predicted.

Vorm 7 - good performance from him for the most part. One excellent save.
Walker 4 - His form is not great but what I noticed most today was his indecision at crucial times with the ball at his feet
Dier 7 - a confidence building outing
Chiriches 7 - solid performance and only one crazy Chiriches moment I can remember (which came off)
Rose 8 - played with more commitment than anyone on the pitch (in a Spurs shirt)
Mason 4 - another sub par outing
Bentaleb 4 - same as Mason.
Erikson 6 - was involved but lots of wayward passing and shooting mixed in with some good stuff
Paulhino 4 - there was a twenty minute spell where I forgot he was playing. Getting the ball and passing it back to the player who gave it to you is not enough. The one progressive run he made ended with a pathetic attempt at a shot. Should be be nowhere near the squad , let alone the team.
Chadli 5 - started Ok but really didn't impact the game in a meaningful way.
Kane 4 - didn't have a lot of support but made the wrong choices a lot when he did get the ball.

Davies 7 - surprisingly good at CB.
Lamela 5 - nearly setup Eriksen and did put a bit of effort in, which is more than can be said for a lot of his team-mates.
Townsend ? did he touch the ball

Poch 4 - poor starting line up and could have made the subs a bit earlier.

Paulinho did SFA but he was still better than Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen and Chadli...

How? I Agree on them being bad today but Paul still can't pass a ball forward, control under pressure or win a 50/50 - sonething the aforementioned did all game

It's pretty obvious

Paulinho came on against Leicester and had an excellent 30 minutes, and was crucial in regaining the advantage. So Poch, quite fairly, decided to give him a chance from the start. Why are people so baffled about that? That's what should always be the case... how else would players be motivated and assured that they would be given a fair crack?

As I said, this spacegoating is frankly ridiculous. If Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen and Chadli played anything more than abysmal, we would have had a great chance to win this. Anyone blaming Paulinho is way, way off track.

You missed the point. I asked what POSITION Paulinho was playing and what formation the team was playing. So far no-one has deigned to answer that. I am therefore not entirely surprised the team shape was confusing to the team itself. That was what largely explained the inept display imo.

You missed the point. I asked what POSITION Paulinho was playing and what formation the team was playing. So far no-one has deigned to answer that. I am therefore not entirely surprised the team shape was confusing to the team itself. That was what largely explained the inept display imo.

I asked the same in the OMT. It was a bloody shambles. Nobody in front of Walker on the right, Paulinho and Eriksen seemingly wandering everywhere to no effect, Chadli offering absolutely nothing what-so-ever.

Looks like our season will now peter out and whether we get EL or not, I'm not too fussed.
I suspect Poch will be using the remaining games, to give those he's still undecided about one last chance

I think he did that yesterday - it was a dead rubber line-up/performance

As long as Liverpool and Arsenal don't both screw up the FA cup, 7th will be EL anyway. The one thing left to play for now is 5th and 6th get less qualifying rounds

As long as Liverpool and Arsenal don't both screw up the FA cup, 7th will be EL anyway. The one thing left to play for now is 5th and 6th get less qualifying rounds
So we have to aim for 8th?

Which basically means we come back for pre-season about 2 weeks after the season finishes.

Back