• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

I was in boarding school in the uk from 9 years old (plus i was also from a different country). So i got used to being away from loved ones very early. It was interesting because during the A-Level years (16-18 yrs old) our school had day schoolers, so this meant there were pupils that attended classes but went home every day. They simply couldn't comprehend how us boarders did not go home to our parents every evening because that was the norm for pretty much all families in the UK.

At that young age being away from your natural base and support structure is really a big deal. Just because you play football doesn't lessen the natural anchor you have at home because that is a human emotion. But i will say that going away will add hugely to his development as a person and further that transition from boy to man. Whether he makes it with us (or anyone) is probably up for debate but as a person he'll benefit immensely from this experience and i do hope he fully realises his potential with us because he seems like he has huge natural talent that needs to be harnessed and i hope we are the ones that reap the rewards.

His return is still insufficient, with one assist in nine games. "In the last phase he usually loses the overview", says teammate Mounir El Hamdaoui. He has to become brighter, to claim more, according to El Hamdaoui. "Very often he is a bit drowsy, which is apathetic."
Hang on...Mounir El Hamdaoui? Now there's a (minor) blast from the past!

Looked like a 'testimonial pace' game, although very hard to tell with that distorted picture, looked like the pitch was only 40 yards wide, so every pass was about 2 yards. Shame all his shots are blocked.

Thanks for this. Looks like he's releasing the ball more quickly than before.
I think this is a really important point.

The challenge for young players like Edwards with exceptional dribbling skills is knowing when to use those skills. When you come up through the youth system you can probably dribble round several players relatively easily and score or assist.
You like the feeling of the ball at your feet, want to take touches, and get in the habit, for example, of turning blind because you are confident you can get past your marker wherever they are.

At the highest level, however, this can be an issue. If you take too many touches, by the time you come to make the pass, the other side has adjusted and reset. You don't pull people out of shape in the same way as quick passing can. Even if you get past two players a third will get a foot in.

Edwards needs to learn when to use his exceptional talents to his and the team's advantage, in bursts, and to become comfortable with the fact that, most of the time, he will only have one or two touches before moving the ball on. I imagine that mentally that is a very difficult challenge.

My biggest ‘if only’ player of recent years.
from the clips I've seen he had that skillset of being able to cut in and score in the same way Hazard and Willian do - you know exactly what they are going to do but defenders can't seem to stop them doing it. Pre Moura and when Lamela was permacrocked I always thought he was worth a place on the bench ahead of Onomah to deliver that x factor in a tight game against tiring defenders. Part of me still hopes the loan ignites something in him and he returns with a good attitude and desire to still becomes a player for us, as the finished article with that skill set are just too £££ for us.

Poch has recently lamented the mini Messi tag he gave him, as it might have drawn too much attention to him and gone to his head.

Subbed off in the 90th minute of a 2-1 over Feyenoord. It was 1-1 when he got subbed his replacement scored the winner. Played over 80 minutes in each of the last 3 games.
Appears to have come back from be out of favour there should hopefully put him in good stead going forward. Will be nice if he could get some more goals/assists between now and the end of the season.
Will be interesting to see where he is in the spurs picture come the summer.

Back