• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

Fully cognizant other clubs will pay more, but surely it means nothing to be paid a massive whack when you're 18 if it takes an age to get any first team football and you end of bottoming out in the Championship for example?
I fervently hope he sees it that way but unfortunately not all do.

If it was about money he would've left a long time ago, he also would've signed the pro contract we offered him straight away rather than stalling and spending six months or so on a basic scholarship wage. There's no doubt a big contract sitting there waiting for him to sign but he's not going to do that until he sees that 1st team chances are there, likewise though the club aren't going to give him those chances until he commits himself to a longer deal. Hopefully it gets sorted in the summer but I can see why he's hesitant to sign, he has a lot of players ahead of him and we'll likely add to them in the summer - I don't think the constant Barkley/Zaha links are there by chance.

If it was about money he would've left a long time ago, he also would've signed the pro contract we offered him straight away rather than stalling and spending six months or so on a basic scholarship wage. There's no doubt a big contract sitting there waiting for him to sign but he's not going to do that until he sees that 1st team chances are there, likewise though the club aren't going to give him those chances until he commits himself to a longer deal. Hopefully it gets sorted in the summer but I can see why he's hesitant to sign, he has a lot of players ahead of him and we'll likely add to them in the summer - I don't think the constant Barkley/Zaha links are there by chance.

Bit of a catch 22 really.

Would he want to be at a club where the competition isn't at the very least at the level of Zaha and Barkley?

I can't see what the club could do to prove to him that we're the right place for him beyond what we've done with young player development over recent years. Unless he would want a move abroad to a club like Ajax or Dortmund I genuinely struggle to think of a club that would come close to us right now.

He's probably being adviced to keep his contracts on the shorter side to keep more power in his hands and give him flexibility. Can't blame him for that, but I hope we find a solution that works for him and us.

Think he could start training full time with the first team, and if he does well in preseason, play a part in this year's campaign. Obviously Poch knows more about how ready he is, and whether the concerns about him being easy to knock off the ball are justified. Edwards could win a lot of free kicks or if refs don't penalise defenders, he could quickly lose confidence. Fingers crossed he's a option coming off the bench; as defenses tire he could run them ragged.

Last edited:
Think he could start training full time with the first team, and if he does well in preseason, play a part in this year's campaign. Obviously Poch knows more about how ready he is, and whether the concerns about how easy he is to knock off the ball and justified. He could win a lot of free kicks or if refs don't penalise defenders, he could quickly lose confidence. Fingers crossed he's a option coming off the bench; as defenses tire he could run them ragged.

We won't see anything of him until he signs a new deal.

His contract extension was announced the other day when the retained lists were published.

He signed a 2 year contract last year and his contract expires on 30/06/2018 - now tell me about this contract extension of which you talk. You may be right but I cannot see find any evidence of a contract beyond next year

Last edited:
We won't see anything of him until he signs a new deal.
Yep, that's just the one year option we took up, not an actual new contract. If he signs a new deal then the club will announce it.
So just to eliminate any confusion, regardless of whether he signs a new deal or not, and assuming he's back to full fitness we should expect him to be part of the first team squad next season?

Back