• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

Formula_One_Grand_Prix_Coverart.png

FlawedBlissfulAkitainu-small.gif

There's a lot to be said for learning tracks on a decent racing game.
Don't play much now and was never really into racing games.
Drove a lot when I was young so sitting behind a wheel in my spare time wasn't high on my list.
Also there isn't, or wasn't, that connection with car or road. Even now driving an automatic in real life does not feel right, there's a real lack of control without a clutch.

Don't play much now and was never really into racing games.
Drove a lot when I was young so sitting behind a wheel in my spare time wasn't high on my list.
Also there isn't, or wasn't, that connection with car or road. Even now driving an automatic in real life does not feel right, there's a real lack of control without a clutch.
Driving in a sim will never teach you to drive quickly, but it will teach you tracks.

Track rendering is so good now, that when I turned up at Spa I could recognise the braking points I was going to use as my start points. I knew which kerbs were flat and which were raised, I knew which you could ride all the way around and which had lumps in. I knew where the astroturf behaved like track and where it behaved like grass. I knew which parts of the track to stay away from in the wet - I even learned that the exit line from the endurance pit is really slippy in the rain and needs to be avoided. I knew where the weight transfer was at its most extreme and where the camber tipped away on acceleration.

All of those things saved me hours of on-track learning and allowed me to go straight out and enjoy the track much faster than I would have done initially.

I play video games, it's a good release valve.
Generally I don't play football games, I've never understood why learning to hit buttons in a set order quickly would make you think you'd be a footballer, golfer, ninja, racing driver or killing machine.
They have very little, if any, actually similarity to the real world.
Great fun, but not real.

I never thought that was the point.

I dont like football games because they are boring, not because they arent a good enough learning aid.

I dont play golf games because I want to be a better golfer (I dont even play!) but because I like the way they translate to the format and enjoy playing them in their own right.

Driving in a sim will never teach you to drive quickly, but it will teach you tracks.

Track rendering is so good now, that when I turned up at Spa I could recognise the braking points I was going to use as my start points. I knew which kerbs were flat and which were raised, I knew which you could ride all the way around and which had lumps in. I knew where the astroturf behaved like track and where it behaved like grass. I knew which parts of the track to stay away from in the wet - I even learned that the exit line from the endurance pit is really slippy in the rain and needs to be avoided. I knew where the weight transfer was at its most extreme and where the camber tipped away on acceleration.

All of those things saved me hours of on-track learning and allowed me to go straight out and enjoy the track much faster than I would have done initially.

Ob they've come along way since I played them, might dig out my wheel and give one a go.
Track racing never really appealed to me until a couple of years ago, now I'd probably have a go. Middle age crisis, me? No don't be silly.

Ob they've come along way since I played them, might dig out my wheel and give one a go.
Track racing never really appealed to me until a couple of years ago, now I'd probably have a go. Middle age crisis, me? No don't be silly.
It's even better if you can find something similar to what you will be using on a track. You obviously don't get the feel through the seat in any way that matters, but usually replays will show you if you oversteered because you clipped a line or because the camber tipped, etc. I couldn't find a match, but found that using an M5, I got a feel for what driving a family saloon with good handling was like.

And talking of mid-life crises - the car I learned to drive quickly in was a MK3 MR2. I'll be buying one in the next few months to turn into a trackday car. I could/should probably but something more suited to a track car, but that wouldn't have the nostalgic feel of a car from my younger days.

It's even better if you can find something similar to what you will be using on a track. You obviously don't get the feel through the seat in any way that matters, but usually replays will show you if you oversteered because you clipped a line or because the camber tipped, etc. I couldn't find a match, but found that using an M5, I got a feel for what driving a family saloon with good handling was like.

And talking of mid-life crises - the car I learned to drive quickly in was a MK3 MR2. I'll be buying one in the next few months to turn into a trackday car. I could/should probably but something more suited to a track car, but that wouldn't have the nostalgic feel of a car from my younger days.

I grew up driving my dad's car, a nova, and vans in the 80s.covered huge mileage in the van 2000+ a week at times.
Best car I've ever driven purely for the drive was my sis in laws mini. It was awesome, so responsive, could throw it around, cornered like it was on rails, loved it. Not hugely fast in the straight but on a twisty you get around almost without brakes. Probably just as well mind you as they were crap.

I grew up driving my dad's car, a nova, and vans in the 80s.covered huge mileage in the van 2000+ a week at times.
Best car I've ever driven purely for the drive was my sis in laws mini. It was awesome, so responsive, could throw it around, cornered like it was on rails, loved it. Not hugely fast in the straight but on a twisty you get around almost without brakes. Probably just as well mind you as they were crap.
That's why I want to strip out and power up an MR2 - wheels on the corners, weight in the middle, RWD, etc. It's also cheap enough that if the Armco and I have a disagreement, it won't hurt the wallet too much.

If nostalgia and cars from your youth is the thing, why aren't you buying a T-ford then?

Silly me, clicking on this thread expecting to see managerial sackings being discussed...:rolleyes:
You could get sacked on Championship Manager. That's how I know exactly how Steve Bruce feels on a regular basis*. I pontificate about it from my armchair down the pub on a regular basis.

* That and all the pies I get through.

Back