• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

It was either sensi, doom or x-wing for me 90% of the time.

Flashback was an obsession for a while too.

I'm trying to remember the names of the football management games that I used to have on the Commodore 64. I definitely played the original Football Manager but the others are lost.

I'm trying to remember the names of the football management games that I used to have on the Commodore 64. I definitely played the original Football Manager but the others are lost.

I had a few on various systems, Premier Manager on ST was a go to for years, also Super league manager (good, but odd, you could set a hatchet man and tell your players to cheat), didn’t get into CM until 2 on PC, stuck with CM/FM since (mostly play mobile now).

This was the big c64 one,

I had the c16 version which didn’t have the match engine, transfers were different too iirc as there wasn’t a market but you were offered players intermittently, who were all stars of the time, I would have shilton and muhren slumming it at Exeter city on very modest contracts.

It's just a data source. Why such strong opinions about something that you have never used and know little about?

Your right i have never used it ( gave up playing kids games many years ago) What i do know though is during my travels supporting Spurs i have been in many pubs up and down the land, before and after games and no matter what there is always at least one punter in there that has never been to a game, never played in one either, but think they could do/know better then those who are in the game.

And sure as brick because they have won the world cup; Universe cup or whatever on the ir pu ters playing these type of games they think they know how the game is played and are experts on telling those who are actually in the game how they are doing things wrong.

Now i accept that not all of those who get their kicks actually from their armchairs and by playing kids game are of the same breed but many are.

Still whatever floats yer boat i guess.

I had a few on various systems, Premier Manager on ST was a go to for years, also Super league manager (good, but odd, you could set a hatchet man and tell your players to cheat), didn’t get into CM until 2 on PC, stuck with CM/FM since (mostly play mobile now).

This was the big c64 one,

I had the c16 version which didn’t have the match engine, transfers were different too iirc as there wasn’t a market but you were offered players intermittently, who were all stars of the time, I would have shilton and muhren slumming it at Exeter city on very modest contracts.
I had a C16, it was probably the most expensive thing my parents ever bought me but i’m not sure it was that much cheaper than the far superior spectrum 48k or C64? They certainly outlasted it as I bought both afterwards.
It was so difficult to get the big games for but when if finally found a text only version of the actual football manager was a massive deal when I finally found it! Pink cover iirc?!
I also remember soccer boss on the speccy!
I went to a vintage arcade place in Croydon on Father’s Day, they also sold old consoles and games - these might evoke a few memories.
34D710D9-46F3-4FF8-90BE-77D2463E34C6.jpeg

E830706A-AAF0-4A72-BB0B-F06C4766F3D0.jpeg 469FDD96-5517-4B21-BEDE-B509737366B8.jpeg

That kinda ignores the database being a well researched scouting tool though, also, the other side of the argument is that many people who have played the game have taken positions of responsibility on the coaching side and shown themselves not to understand all of the facets required to successfully manage in the modern game.

Their time has passed, but, it’s not that long ago that the respected brains of the PL were Wenger and Mourinho, with nary a relevant appearance between them.

Intelligent analysis can be a game changer, look at what Alderson and Beane did to baseball.

I had a C16, it was probably the most expensive thing my parents ever bought me but i’m not sure it was that much cheaper than the far superior spectrum 48k or C64? They certainly outlasted it as I bought both afterwards.
It was so difficult to get the big games for but when if finally found a text only version of the actual football manager was a massive deal when I finally found it! Pink cover iirc?!
I also remember soccer boss on the speccy!
I went to a vintage arcade place in Croydon on Father’s Day, they also sold old consoles and games - these might evoke a few memories.
View attachment 7074

View attachment 7072 View attachment 7073

I loved the C16 (we had the Plus 4), Kickstart, Treasure Island, Icicle Works, and of course Football Manager, I played the hell out of that thing, I wrote some basic programs on it too.

We tried to upgrade to the c64 but it had to go back a week later as it was faulty, we swapped that for an Atari ST, which I loved, but the C16 still got a lot of use, it probably still works, it’s in my dads loft, with a Viglen BBC micro.

looked cool too, check out the four (count them) function keys

Commodore_Plus_4.jpg

Your right i have never used it ( gave up playing kids games many years ago) What i do know though is during my travels supporting Spurs i have been in many pubs up and down the land, before and after games and no matter what there is always at least one punter in there that has never been to a game, never played in one either, but think they could do/know better then those who are in the game.

And sure as brick because they have won the world cup; Universe cup or whatever on the ir pu ters playing these type of games they think they know how the game is played and are experts on telling those who are actually in the game how they are doing things wrong.

Now i accept that not all of those who get their kicks actually from their armchairs and by playing kids game are of the same breed but many are.

I play video games, it's a good release valve.
Generally I don't play football games, I've never understood why learning to hit buttons in a set order quickly would make you think you'd be a footballer, golfer, ninja, racing driver or killing machine.
They have very little, if any, actually similarity to the real world.
Great fun, but not real.

I play video games, it's a good release valve.
Generally I don't play football games, I've never understood why learning to hit buttons in a set order quickly would make you think you'd be a footballer, golfer, ninja, racing driver or killing machine.
They have very little, if any, actually similarity to the real world.
Great fun, but not real.
There's a lot to be said for learning tracks on a decent racing game.

I loved the C16 (we had the Plus 4), Kickstart, Treasure Island, Icicle Works, and of course Football Manager, I played the hell out of that thing, I wrote some basic programs on it too.

We tried to upgrade to the c64 but it had to go back a week later as it was faulty, we swapped that for an Atari ST, which I loved, but the C16 still got a lot of use, it probably still works, it’s in my dads loft, with a Viglen BBC micro.

The ST was great for making music. Cubase was a game changer.

There are tacos in all walks of life. There are plenty of people who have never played a football management game who talk brick about football too.

Gaming is no more for kids than any other form of entertainment is. Many of the best modern games have scripts and production values that match any film.

Back