• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Moura

The club PR need to get this guy off Twitter now!

Or at least ban him from discussing politics...

They really don't.
I'm glad he cares so much for his country and wants to see change after the horrors that have been there.
People voted for him not entirely because they are all hateful persons who hold opinions we cannot understand but because they wanted justice and accountability: they wanted jobs, food, housing and security. They wanted change, hope, a feeling of being in control of their fate. Brazil’s murder rate reached 63,880 last year, which is twice the number in the United States and the European Union combined. Why should people live with that terror? Indeed, what kind of life is it supposed to be? Wouldn’t you vote for an agent of change if your streets were awash with the headless corpses of defaulting drug users and dealers? If the left-wing and centre-left and centre-right and ‘Third Way’ aren’t capable of satisfying basic human needs, it ought to come as no surprise that people swing to the right.

Which some may term ‘far-right’.

They really don't.
I'm glad he cares so much for his country and wants to see change after the horrors that have been there.
People voted for him not entirely because they are all hateful persons who hold opinions we cannot understand but because they wanted justice and accountability: they wanted jobs, food, housing and security. They wanted change, hope, a feeling of being in control of their fate. Brazil’s murder rate reached 63,880 last year, which is twice the number in the United States and the European Union combined. Why should people live with that terror? Indeed, what kind of life is it supposed to be? Wouldn’t you vote for an agent of change if your streets were awash with the headless corpses of defaulting drug users and dealers? If the left-wing and centre-left and centre-right and ‘Third Way’ aren’t capable of satisfying basic human needs, it ought to come as no surprise that people swing to the right.

Bolsonaro IS the “far-right”...and many Brazilians are doing that thing of listening yo a populist! He will still have to deal with the system in Brazil (unless he intends to just shoot it all) and so you will have a leader who espouses separatist hateful views and watched the public take them on, all the while blaming “liberals in gvmt” for nothing really changing. What could possibly go wrong?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

They really don't.

That's all well and good and people are free to vote for who they wish; but reading some of this guys views on immigrants and that migrants from certain parts of the world are "scum of humanity" i think to be openly endorsing this guy is bringing far too much baggage if he continues.

It'll probably bring more baggage than if say, we had am American player who kept on and on endorsing Trump. First time so it's known where you stand is fine, after that i think it needn't be continuously mentioned as Lucas seems to be doing.

There is a reason most sports professionals are asked by advisers to steer away from politics...

That's all well and good and people are free to vote for who they wish; but reading some of this guys views on immigrants and that migrants from certain parts of the world are "scum of humanity" i think to be openly endorsing this guy is bringing far too much baggage if he continues.

It'll probably bring more baggage than if say, we had am American player who kept on and on endorsing Trump. First time so it's known where you stand is fine, after that i think it needn't be continuously mentioned as Lucas seems to be doing.

There is a reason most sports professionals are asked by advisers to steer away from politics...
This is the key phrase.
All Moura has done so far is support a democratic decision that offers hope.
Not a coup or uprising
Yes I find the Bolsanro abhorrent.
But clearly Brazilians don't.
And Moura is Brazilian.

If he starts specially or regularly supporting value that go against the image of Tottenham, then I'm sure we'll act.

I read that lots of LGBT people voted for him regardless as they feel despite his views the country is in such a mess that they can overlook them. The previous party were in power for 13 years and have left a huge recession, massive crime rates, corruption/bribery endemic and loads of them are in prison or about to be so you can't blame people voting for something different.

Well at least they got to host the Olympics and World Cup.

So what if they are in debt.

I want the garden bridge across the Thames, not upgrades to tram networks so people in South London can get to work easier.

As for Lucas, he will find his feet in December, 4 goals 7 assists. Mark my words.

I read that lots of LGBT people voted for him regardless as they feel despite his views the country is in such a mess that they can overlook them. The previous party were in power for 13 years and have left a huge recession, massive crime rates, corruption/bribery endemic and loads of them are in prison or about to be so you can't blame people voting for something different.
Reminds me of the death or unga bunga joke for some reason.

This is the key phrase.
All Moura has done so far is support a democratic decision that offers hope.
Not a coup or uprising
Yes I find the Bolsanro abhorrent.
But clearly Brazilians don't.
And Moura is Brazilian.

If he starts specially or regularly supporting value that go against the image of Tottenham, then I'm sure we'll act.
Here's the thing - loads of Germans didn't find Hitler abhorrent. Loads of Soviets didn't find Stalin abhorrent, loads of Chinese didn't find Mao abhorrent. And Hitler won an election - so was that cool too? And as you seem to be such an expert on Brazilian politics, what 'hope' does Bolsonaro offer (if you don't include homophobia, xenophobia, misogyny and a love of torture/killing of political dissidents)

They really don't.

Didn't more than 50 million Brazilians abstain from voting, even though it's compulsory?

Either way the number was more than the total votes any candidate received. The problem here is widespread apathy and a completely broken political system (a worrying global trend if we're honest.)

This right-wing, fascist nut job is going to exploit the situation with glee though.

Bolsonaro IS the “far-right”...and many Brazilians are doing that thing of listening to a populist! He will still have to deal with the system in Brazil (unless he intends to just shoot it all) and so you will have a leader who espouses separatist hateful views and watched the public take them on, all the while blaming “liberals in gvmt” for nothing really changing. What could possibly go wrong?
Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

What's a populist?
Nayenezgani said above that millions abstained from voting.
Lula de Silva was described as one of the most popular leaders on earth, but the term populist - which seems a bit of a smear - doesn't seem to be associated with him.
Or is it just to do with policies that 'people who aren't us' would approve of?

I read and hear from those who object to the revival of right-wing conservatism as a governmental force and a body of political thought altogether, and the ‘far-right’ smear is their method of delegitimisation. Whether it’s the New Right or neo-liberalism or Capitalism or Thatcherism, it is all basically ‘far-right’ because it is ‘extreme’ and hurts the poor and discriminates against migrants and minorities.

Here's the thing - loads of Germans didn't find Hitler abhorrent. Loads of Soviets didn't find Stalin abhorrent, loads of Chinese didn't find Mao abhorrent. And Hitler won an election - so was that cool too? And as you seem to be such an expert on Brazilian politics, what 'hope' does Bolsonaro offer (if you don't include homophobia, xenophobia, misogyny and a love of torture/killing of political dissidents)

Hitler winning an election may not have been cool but it was legitimate. His subversion of the political process thereafter was the issue and it is only right that any gerrymandering in future by Bolsonaro (or any other party in a government) is identified and condemned.
As for what he offers, his pro-life, anti-secularism, pro-military, anti-genderism, pro-defence, anti-establishment, pro-marriage, anti-immigration, pro-market, anti-statist views for quite a few people, chime with those of traditional right-wing conservatism.
He seems to be economically liberal and wants to introduce free-market reforms and a programme of austerity (aka living within one’s means) in order to restore Brazil’s economic health. This seems to not be a terrible proposal in view of the economic meltdown, widespread poverty, hunger and homelessness induced by the ‘social policies’ of former presidents Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Dilma Rousseff.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ting-poorer-hunger-homelessness-brazil-crisis

Last edited:
Didn't more than 50 million Brazilians abstain from voting, even though it's compulsory?

Either way the number was more than the total votes any candidate received. The problem here is widespread apathy and a completely broken political system (a worrying global trend if we're honest.)
No

Turnout (for the second round between just the two candidates) was 78.7%
147,306,295 registered voters
115,933,004 actually voted.
Of which:
57,797,847 voted for Bolsonaro
47,040,906 voted for Haddad
11,094,679 were blank, invalid or pending votes.
and then 31,373,291 abstained

So even if you add every single one of the invalids and blanks to the abstentions, it's less than either candidate received.
Still a massive chunk though!

I stand corrected. You're right though. it's still an alarmingly high number!

I fear that it isn't unique among election stats worldwide.
Just another example of global disaffection. But I'm afraid I don't have a strong enough desire to trawl even more stats for more time to back that feeling up right now...

I get what you're saying, but as someone whose had family killed in the holocaust and someone with a gay sister-in-law from Brasil and someone currently living in the US governed by Trump, it's hard to feel sympathy for people whose response to a tough childhood is to publicly support a politician as violent and hateful as Bolsonaro.

These are quotes from the man Lucas is so happy about:
The Military Police should have killed 1,000 rather than 111 prisoners in the Carandiru massacre.
I'm in favour of torture.
if I see two men kissing on the street, I'll beat them up.
I would be incapable of loving a gay son. I wouldn't be a hypocrite. I prefer that he die in an accident than show up with some guy with a moustache.
A policeman who doesn’t kill isn’t a policeman.
With us [in office], there will be no such human rights politicking.
We're going to put an end to all the activisms of Brazil.

Jeez...and this dude got elected??

Back