• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lost chants/songs

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
It seems that songs and chants evolve over time at Football matches. Aside from the fact that we have some of the most unimaginative set out there I've been watching some old footage from the early 90s and noticed that a few don't exist anymore. e.g.

Singing the score to the opponents (obviously when leading) - this is quite clear in some of the footage from the 91 semi-final where you can hear our fans singing 1-0, 1-0 etc

Spelling the team name out. I know TOTTENHAM took quite a while

A Simple 'We hate Arsenal' - this has been replaced by the 'stand up if you hate Arsenal' - clearly a sign of the terrace-less times.

These are all general but specific to us I never hear 'Score, Tottenham score' anymore either.

Any thoughts on why these songs disappeared? Any more examples?

Oh it's a grand old team to play for....
Oh it's a grand old team to see.....
And if....ya know....ya history...
It's enough to make ya heart go wooooaaahhhh
We don't care what the other team say
What..the hell do we care??
For we only know
That there's gonna be a show
And the Tottenham Hotspur will get there!!

To the Liver-birds tune

If you're standing on a corner
With a red scarf round your neck
Tottenham boys will come & get you
& we'll break your f***ing legs.

At Oldham Athletic I've often been told
That the team to remember, the team to recall
Are the great Man United the best of them all.
They came down to Tottenham in 75
They went in the Park Lane the Paxton, the Side,
But Tottenham were many and many to ruck
And the great Man United got battered to f**k
Toodaloo, toodaloo and the great Man United got battered to f**k.

Love the song that Roy quoted. So many other of the old songs I remember

'If I had the wings of an eagle ...

'We've won the league, we've won the Cup

Stamford Bridge is falling down

Ay yi yi, Jennings is better than Yashin

My old man said

Tiptoe through the Park Lane

Hi ho hi ho it's off to Spurs we go
With a bottle ...

We hate Nottingham Forest ...

No prizes but a bit of fun if people want to finish them off :)

:) Naturally I don't approve of the violence endemic in some of these songs, but me and my mates used to sing them, and we had no intention of causing aggro, indeed spent a lot of time avoiding it, it was just the times.

Last edited:
The pitch side TV commentaries prior to kick-off give you a good idea as to why our football songs are boring . The commentary team is chatting about the game to a backdrop of empty seats and kick-off is just ten minutes away!

Today's fan is seen spending most of his/her time in the concourse prior to kick - off, looking to buy merchandise, having a beer and checking their mobile phone.

When I were a teenager and later in my 20's. Along with my mates , we'd get into the ground be it in the Shelf or Park Lane, anything between two hours or one hour before kick - off. You needed to get there early to claim your position for good viewing of the game and then there were the small matter of having to defend our singing end against the away lot!

It were at this time, when new songs would often be sung for the first time . Pockets of supporters would have fun initiating new chants. Some of these chants would take off in popularity instantly, whilst others would have different variations tried over time, before one version being sung by the masses. Then there were the one's that would be sung just the once and then never heard of again, but it were all a laugh.

I think it's in the pre-match build up where the imaginative chanting has been lost.

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/tottenham_hotspur-chants/tottenham-till-i-die/
Tottenham till I die,
I'm Tottenham till I die,
I know I am,
I'm sure I am,
I'm Tottenham till I die..

Do any current players other than Kane have songs at the moment???

It wasn't so long ago that I can recall proper songs or chants for Super Pav, van der Vaart, Bale, King, Keane, Defoe, Holtby and even Dos Santos, and I'm sure there are plenty more that aren't leaping to mind.

Is this a dying art? Do they exist and I'm just unaware because I haven't been to the Lane in a few years and can't hear them on the tele?

Anyone else remember this one (Steff)?

Neville Southall f***s his mother
Neville Southall f***s his brother
All the Welshmen f**k each other
F**k off back to Wales

Oh it's a grand old team to play for....
Oh it's a grand old team to see.....
And if....ya know....ya history...
It's enough to make ya heart go wooooaaahhhh
We don't care what the other team say
What..the hell do we care??
For we only know
That there's gonna be a show
And the Tottenham Hotspur will get there!!

That crops up at EL matches now (e.g Anderlecht the other week).

The brilliant Nicola Berti one has been revived too

It wasn't so long ago that I can recall proper songs or chants for Super Pav, van der Vaart, Bale, King, Keane, Defoe, Holtby and even Dos Santos, and I'm sure there are plenty more that aren't leaping to mind.

Is this a dying art? Do they exist and I'm just unaware because I haven't been to the Lane in a few years and can't hear them on the tele?

I liked the Holtby/Depeche Mode one - was superb at the King testimonial

The pitch side TV commentaries prior to kick-off give you a good idea as to why our football songs are boring . The commentary team is chatting about the game to a backdrop of empty seats and kick-off is just ten minutes away!

Today's fan is seen spending most of his/her time in the concourse prior to kick - off, looking to buy merchandise, having a beer and checking their mobile phone.

When I were a teenager and later in my 20's. Along with my mates , we'd get into the ground be it in the Shelf or Park Lane, anything between two hours or one hour before kick - off. You needed to get there early to claim your position for good viewing of the game and then there were the small matter of having to defend our singing end against the away lot!

It were at this time, when new songs would often be sung for the first time . Pockets of supporters would have fun initiating new chants. Some of these chants would take off in popularity instantly, whilst others would have different variations tried over time, before one version being sung by the masses. Then there were the one's that would be sung just the once and then never heard of again, but it were all a laugh.

I think it's in the pre-match build up where the imaginative chanting has been lost.

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/tottenham_hotspur-chants/tottenham-till-i-die/
Tottenham till I die,
I'm Tottenham till I die,
I know I am,
I'm sure I am,
I'm Tottenham till I die..

Your point about getting there early to get your spot was absolutely right, now fans know exactly where they will be in the ground so have no reason to get there early, that along with the no alcohol in the stands means they will drink in local pubs or in the concourse. I get to Tottenham about 2 hours before the game but don't go to my seat until 15 mins before kick off.

I do at work.

Erikssen has his own one but you're right, I can't really think of any other player at all who has one.

I remember when we played the second leg of our Champions League quarter against Madrid in the last 10-20 mins of the game we were singing the chants for almost our full 11 as we had the NLD a few days later. Think one of the only players who didn't get a chant was Corluka.

Back