• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's Plan

Levy owns about a quarter of the club. He has a ~29% stake in Enic and Enic owns around 90% of the club/plc/etc.

I can see that Levy is quite content to carry on as chairman. He is very well paid, doing a job he clearly likes and is seeing his investment grow. But what Joe Lewis or his heirs want will also be important.

Levy doesn’t own it - he runs it for Joe Lewis, who is a businessman. When he thinks he can get the maximum price for it he’ll sell without hesitation, I would think.
Doesn't Levy own 30% of ENIC, and Lewis 70%? That would mean he owns part of it? Joe Lewis is 81, so probably thinking about what he leaves behind, rather than future investments.

Doesn't Levy own 30% of ENIC, and Lewis 70%? That would mean he owns part of it? Joe Lewis is 81, so probably thinking about what he leaves behind, rather than future investments.

I'd love to believe there would be sentiment involved but these guys have made hundreds of millions through being hard-arsed, not through letting feeling get in the way of anything. They might still think our maximum selling point is a few years off but they'll get rid when the money is right imho.

True if it was just about money.
But Levy has been a fan his whole life.
He is living his own dream.
His kids share that dream.
He may want to pass on that legacy.
He may not want to see •HIS• Spurs asset stripped by a random billionaire with no affinity for Spurs.

If he had an extra £300m or whatever, it makes little difference to his everyday life, he can already buy whatever he wants.

But if he sells Spurs, his dream is over and done before winning the final level

He also sold his family business (Blue Inc/Mr Byrite), which his great-grandfather had established in 1912, to buy his 30% share in the club. That suggests it's very personal for him

FFS .. are we back here? It's been what, 17 fudging years and idiot Spurs fans still fall back to the Levy's in it for a buck, and will sell as soon as the right offer comes along?

There are hundreds of obvious things that dispute that narrative, but let me start with the easiest one

- If you bought a house to flip (resell at profit), you make very calculated decisions about how/where you spend to improve to maximize your profit (in other words you be as cheap as makes sense)
- You certainly don't redo the foundation, buy the best of everything, invest in the local school and park, etc. That makes no sense from a business perspective.

The scale of Tottenham's investment in training ground, stadium, local area makes no sense if the plan was to get out for a profit. Levy has literally spent hundreds of millions of pounds more than he could have at a minimum. And while we may all disagree on many things, I don't think anybody is going to claim Levy doesn't know business.

I really enjoyed reading through the posts at the beginning of this thread by LemonadeMoney, (hats off for pulling them together) reminded me of all those years of frustration, hope, despair, hope, frustration, that went with each and every managerial firing and hiring and of course several player signings too. Scholar was in charge during my early supporting years so I didn't really pay too much attention to his behavior. I disliked and still find Sugar an odious character and the managerial merry-go-round created the inconsistency we've suffered from Burkinshaw until the appointment of Poch IMHO.

I didn't like Levy for the best part of a decade because I considered him ENIC's corporation front man who was all talk and little substance. I started looking at him a little differently around 2010/11 with the overall plans emanating from WHL and then especially when the Training Academy was completed.

Make no mistake, the Stadium expansion was and is the key to his overall strategy but the Academy was a key building block too. I'm sure I'm not alone in understanding how your working environment can influence your performance and enjoyment each day. That place is where the players spend the majority of their working life and it is and will be a factor in attracting and retaining players.

For the Stadium storyline, I'm a firm believer that moving to Stratford was always a ruse designed to get the compulsory purchase orders and transport link concessions. I believe the money spent on that bid was sunk with the understanding the concessions (through fear of losing us from the borough) once finally given would be vastly more beneficial. So on to the actual stadium.

It's going to be OUR amazing home and I like that some real thought has gone into retaining links to our history at WHL. I see Levy is bringing the full US experience to NWHL with the public square trying to give a tailgate experience. When I used to visit WHL it was always get in 5 mins before kick off and straight to the car after the match (left a match early once in my life with a mate after Chelscum put 4 past us in the 2002 FA Cup as it was his birthday and he was leaving...)! Now there will be an alternative, get there a couple of hours earlier, have a bite to eat with plenty of choices. Maybe have a kick about outside or see what else they are putting on out there in entertainment terms (weather permitting). Or stay for a bite and beer after the match there.

I for one will be travelling over for at least a long weekend with intention of doing the full tour, (skywalk may get a pass on account of my vertigo :)) Match, food, Beavertown, etc. Who knows, may even go for a premium experience bringing my 11yr old son for the first time in his life. Point here being lots of choices and I will sink a bit into their coffers on this trip...

So back to Levy's 10 point Plan...

1. Understand the business of running a club
2. Take over running the club and develop long term strategy
3. Balance books whilst funding improvements
4. Improve Facilities
5. Improve Stadium
6. Attract and develop top talent
7. Challenge for top honors
8. Loosen the purse strings
9. Win Trophies and Titles
10. legacy Built

In interviews with people involved in the project you hear about Levy's day to day involvement so he is clearly passionate about the Stadium. If it's all about the money he could have a manager take care of that. I expect this place to blow us and the entire world away once unveiled.

I cannot see him selling up or moving on and I am grateful he either astutely chose or lucked out with Poch. Given what I've seen from him I would say it was the former...

I also came across this time capsule and thought I'd share it given the topic: Official Spurs Stadium Plan updates: Dec 2011-Mar 2015 (old KSS design)
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-stadium/new-stadium-plans/?source%252525252525253dwebgains%2525252525252526siteid%252525252525253d73669

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned in here, that Levy's plan, is most likely;

1. Build the club to Champions League participants on a regular basis,
  2. Construct a new stadium that allows us to capitalise on match day (and non match day) revenue,
  3. Get the club valued at somewhere between 1-2bn; and then,
  4. Sell it.

On paper it looks the boldest plan in football. Verging on a pipe dream.

But the plan ALL Chairman have. Thats what they wish for their club.

Our starting point is similar to Villa Leeds Saudi Sportswashing Machine Everton West Ham Forest Sunderland

To be about to complete step 2 is amazing. To grow organically in modern football is commendable (but usually doomed to failure)

To be in a league where there are 6 'big' teams and compete to our level while having to keep a strict grip on the purse strings during a massive capital project is frankly unfathomable.

We really are looking like a 'Big' club now, everything is in place. Levy needs to stay to cement the legacy for decades. He and whoever his team is are making extremely good decisions....they must be.

Anyone who doubts Levy, look at the list of those that have failed.

Curious as to when our stadium design changed to what we have now, and why? Was there ever an article or quotes discussing it? Definitely prefer it now, but it is interesting.

And slightly off topic but I think the design for Chelsea's new stadium just looks awful. I read a description of ours as modern, but not flashy, with the real investment made inside. I like that idea for us. It definitely looks good, but I think it's a good representation of what we are like as a club now, and have been under Levy. Chelsea's, as a monument to Roman, just looks...bleurgh.

And slightly off topic but I think the design for Chelsea's new stadium just looks awful. I read a description of ours as modern, but not flashy, with the real investment made inside. I like that idea for us. It definitely looks good, but I think it's a good representation of what we are like as a club now, and have been under Levy. Chelsea's, as a monument to Roman, just looks...bleurgh.
Disagree. Their stadium design is very different, identifiable, daring. Ours is much more ordinary. I think ours will be better in terms of fan experience, but from the outside, theirs is very unique and will become iconic in 20 years IMO.

I very much dislike Cheatski

Disagree. Their stadium design is very different, identifiable, daring. Ours is much more ordinary. I think ours will be better in terms of fan experience, but from the outside, theirs is very unique and will become iconic in 20 years IMO.

I see where you're coming from, it just seems like a lot of wasted space for me. I like that we are under-stated in a sense. I also really like the new design compared to the old one.

Anyway, Levy is awesome. To some of the discussion above on whether he will sell, of course they will at some point. And I think all of this, building an absolutely amazing stadium, training ground, academy etc is going to enable ENIC to charge absolute top dollar for it in the future. And there's nothing wrong with that. We will hopefully be a more attractive target than Emirates Marketing Project were, and get some wealth to boot. The fact that we dragged ourselves into contention without needing to be bought out though, speaks super well for Levy.

There may come a time though when Levy's principals of sustainable long term growth don't entirely chime with our current position and competitive environment. And maybe if that time happens it will be better to build a leadership team of glitz and glamour to help us really go up to that level. Of course I'm not saying we should ever risk the future of the club, and maybe Levy can adapt to that role. Or maybe ENIC sells and he is kept on as honorary President for example - someone who has a genuine voice and serves as a reminder of the values of the club. Either way, he's done an amazing job but in the future, ENIC may sell and it may be that someone with a different skillset to Levy's may be required to have us join the Reals and Barcas, the Citys and Uniteds of this world, if we ever can.

Wow; ten years? Were you part of the Levy Out phalanx?

I always thought Levy was a good man and feel smugger than Matt Damon kissing Batman’s forehead to be proven right

Nope, but I'm generally laid back so it takes time before I get really worked up :) Never followed their "self-appointed" leader HH who actually forced me to register on Newsnow just so I can block his clickbait junk. :)

Last edited:

Agreed - think the Chelsea design is fantastic really

True if it was just about money.
But Levy has been a fan his whole life.
He is living his own dream.
His kids share that dream.
He may want to pass on that legacy.
He may not want to see •HIS• Spurs asset stripped by a random billionaire with no affinity for Spurs.

If he had an extra £300m or whatever, it makes little difference to his everyday life, he can already buy whatever he wants.

But if he sells Spurs, his dream is over and done before winning the final level
Well said.

Levy and his family are in a place that money is not the motivation anymore, if it every was. I firmly believe that Levy is building a legacy.

Last edited:
Levy doesn’t own it - he runs it for Joe Lewis, who is a businessman. When he thinks he can get the maximum price for it he’ll sell without hesitation, I would think.

Exactly. Levy doesn't strike me as the romantic type either, all that stuff about his dreams and legacy goes out the window when the Sultan of Brunei shows him the money.

Back