• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's Plan

Very interesting to see how much work was needed to catch Arsenal. Now we have replaced them as the "Top 4 banker", bigger stadium, bright young head coach, better squad, better training facilities etc. It's a real credit to Levy, and also shows how Arsenal have drifted the past 10 years, instead of making any progress as a club.

We really were an absolute shower of sh1t before Levy took charge. We are very lucky to have him imo.

It is also interesting that Enic had no clear plan early on, with Levy not even interested in running the club initially. I was surprised to see Lewis only having a 22% family interest in Enic, but I assume he and Levy gained their combined 90% share through the Kondar (?) takeover.

On a more positive note, Levy clearly had a vision to use the internet more (first online ticketing for PL club), saw the need for the training facility first, and started making better football decisions. The first five years were a steep learning curve. Then he got unlucky with Arnesen being poached by Chelsea.

Another thing I had forgotten is that all planning for the new stadium started around the time of the financial crash, which can't have made long-term financial planning easier. On the other hand, all the delays have resulted in a stadium that couldn't have been dreamed of at that time.

With the training ground, the team and the stadium he has delivered. Now is the time to create a new project ... er, where have I heard that phrase recently? Perhaps it might even be a little crazy.

Very interesting to see how much work was needed to catch Arsenal. Now we have replaced them as the "Top 4 banker", bigger stadium, bright young head coach, better squad, better training facilities etc. It's a real credit to Levy, and also shows how Arsenal have drifted the past 10 years, instead of making any progress as a club.

We really were an absolute shower of sh1t before Levy took charge. We are very lucky to have him imo.

Full credit given where we were. Its now up to him that we don't become another Arsenal who move and then drift and stagnate. That period of work is done, now some equally important work begins and this summer is the most pivotal of his chairmanship imo

Really interesting thread. Levy had to learn a lot about football but I think as a commercial operator, as a pure businessman, he was always a massive advantage for us. Super smart, knew where he needed to get us, and although it took some time, to pull of epic new stadium, amazing training ground and consistent top 3 finishers, all sustainably and without a Sugar Daddy...just a ridiculously impressive achievement.

Really interesting thread. Levy had to learn a lot about football but I think as a commercial operator, as a pure businessman, he was always a massive advantage for us. Super smart, knew where he needed to get us, and although it took some time, to pull of epic new stadium, amazing training ground and consistent top 3 finishers, all sustainably and without a Sugar Daddy...just a ridiculously impressive achievement.

Absolutely, the best in the league Imho and by a country mile!

When Levy was two years younger than I am now, he pretty much bought Spurs.

Two years ago, I bought a used Volvo.

Now that's perspective. :(

If it makes you feel any better, if any of us need some help to take something bulky to the tip, we'll not be calling the Lev.

I genuinely thought you meant taking the used Volvo to the tip, to tip it
Maybe the Volvo needs leaving there, after we've dropped off my old sofa. Although I ain't walking home so you'll have to provide secondary transport. fudging hell maybe I'll phone Levy after all, you're useless.

I got something bulky on the end of my tip.
Either you mean you're mid-sesh with a fat bloke (hopefully, for his sake, not @FatBloke), or you need to go to the doctors.

Sugar's short-sightedness, with his one-man crusade against escalating wage costs in the game, along with his general contempt for football people and fans alike held the club back crucial years. Thank Christ he fúcked off. He'd have turned us into the Coventry City of the south. It's been a long and sometimes equivocal hike with Eric (can't stop myself reading it as that), but we are getting close to the view that makes it all worth it.

Sugar's short-sightedness, with his one-man crusade against escalating wage costs in the game, along with his general contempt for football people and fans alike held the club back crucial years. Thank Christ he fúcked off. He'd have turned us into the Coventry City of the south. It's been a long and sometimes equivocal hike with Eric (can't stop myself reading it as that), but we are getting close to the view that makes it all worth it.
I dont think he has totally fcuked off. I think he is a shareholder. :)

We’ve also been a shower of brick of times since he took charge. In Pochettino, he finally got the man he’d been searching for since he fired Hoddle and it could not have been at a better time. Imagine if this new stadium had been happening with AVB / Sherwood? Is that luck or something else?

I’m not meaning to be overly critical of Levy...I truly think he’s one of the best, if not the best, in the League. Just think it’s important to revision-ise (not a word.) He’ s made some big errors in his time: sacking George Graham the week before a North London Derby FA Cup Semi Final, sacking BMJ at half time, selling Berbatov and getting Frazier Campbell to replace him, 2 points from 8 games, the AVB -> Sherwood debacle (and depending on which side of the Harry fence you sit on, sacking him after he finished 4th).

We’ve also been a shower of brick of times since he took charge. In Pochettino, he finally got the man he’d been searching for since he fired Hoddle and it could not have been at a better time. Imagine if this new stadium had been happening with AVB / Sherwood? Is that luck or something else?

I’m not meaning to be overly critical of Levy...I truly think he’s one of the best, if not the best, in the League. Just think it’s important to revision-ise (not a word.) He’ s made some big errors in his time: sacking George Graham the week before a North London Derby FA Cup Semi Final, sacking BMJ at half time, selling Berbatov and getting Frazier Campbell to replace him, 2 points from 8 games, the AVB -> Sherwood debacle (and depending on which side of the Harry fence you sit on, sacking him after he finished 4th).

My way of looking at some the events you mention, is until we know the backstory to all these events its difficult to apportion blame, if indeed there is any. Levy catalogue of "mistakes" may well seem wrong because we only see the concluding event not what led up to them.

But I doubt he has not had some roosterups along the way just like the rest of us.

I agree he's made mistakes. I think that one of his strengths is not being too stubborn to admit it eg. got rid of Ramos, Comolli and the DoF structure to bring in Redknapp, which is what we needed at the time. We don't drift under Levy because he hasn't allowed it to happen. Progress isn't always linear, so sometimes we make a mis-step as a club. But Levy acts to put it right.

Struck gold with Poch, but also got the setup in place to allow a coach like Poch to flourish. In a sense, Levy has made his own luck with his decisiveness.

I agree he's made mistakes. I think that one of his strengths is not being too stubborn to admit it eg. got rid of Ramos, Comolli and the DoF structure to bring in Redknapp, which is what we needed at the time. We don't drift under Levy because he hasn't allowed it to happen. Progress isn't always linear, so sometimes we make a mis-step as a club. But Levy acts to put it right.

Struck gold with Poch, but also got the setup in place to allow a coach like Poch to flourish. In a sense, Levy has made his own luck with his decisiveness.

Levy strikes me as someone who would only make decisions based on what at the time was best for the club. He comes over as extremely focused and I really cant see him putting personal like or dislikes before the correct decision for the club/business.

Back