• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

Enter the Pitbull

Luke Young
King: Two More Years?

[h=1]King: I can reign for two more years[/h]
By PAT SHEEHAN
Published: Today

Add a comment (16)

[h=2]LEDLEY KING is hoping he has done enough to convince Spurs he is worth a new two-year deal.[/h] The centre-half, 31, has knee problems that make it difficult to play two games in a week.
King's deal runs out in the summer and he is anxious to avoid a pay-as-you-play contract.
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp suggested King needed to rack up at least 20 games to get a new deal.
But the defender, who has been at the Lane for 14 years, has made just 11 league starts so far and has asked his agent to negotiate a new 'no-strings' package.
King said: "I've left it between my agent and the chairman.
"As yet I have not heard anything. I'm just trying to play as many games as I can and we will see where that takes me.

[h=1]King: I can reign for two more years[/h]
By PAT SHEEHAN
Published: Today

Add a comment (16)

[h=2]LEDLEY KING is hoping he has done enough to convince Spurs he is worth a new two-year deal.[/h] The centre-half, 31, has knee problems that make it difficult to play two games in a week.
King's deal runs out in the summer and he is anxious to avoid a pay-as-you-play contract.
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp suggested King needed to rack up at least 20 games to get a new deal.
But the defender, who has been at the Lane for 14 years, has made just 11 league starts so far and has asked his agent to negotiate a new 'no-strings' package.
King said: "I've left it between my agent and the chairman.
"As yet I have not heard anything. I'm just trying to play as many games as I can and we will see where that takes me.

Pretty sure he has made more then 11 appearances (edit: oh right you specify league apps, not sure where his 15 are in)... I thought it was something more like 15... Which would mean he is well on his way to making that required 20 appearances this season... He is such an amazing player though and it would be crazy not to offer him another year, but a two year contract is a bit of a commitment..

I'd offer him a one year contract with an extension if he plays 20 games again, or if they end up offering a two year contract i would assume it would be more appearance based.

Also they will have to be careful with him if we are in the Champions league, as if he is played two often he could have serious issues.

The only concern is that not only is his knee getting worse (I suspect) but that he's getting older too. It's a catch 22, he deserves it for his loyalty but then again - you can argue that we've been loyal too. If it wasn't for the 25 player rule then of course would be great to have him around the place. What's he on btw?

The guy is a legend and has done so much for us. We should give him what he wants and have faith in him. He's t'riffic!

The guy is a legend and has done so much for us. We should give him what he wants and have faith in him. He's t'riffic!

This all the way. He's the only player in my Spurs supporting years who has been ever-present at the club. He's the best player I've seen play for us hands down, and he deserves to have some loyalty shown by the club. Sod intelligent business decisions, there are some things that go beyond such a viewpoint and Ledley King is one of them.

His presence in the team is imeasurable, he adds something to the team despite not being at his best. I think Spurs should ask themselves have we anyone as good in the squad (No imo) or could we get someone as good (doubtful) then give him a contract and manage his games as now.

not sure what the wage situation is, or what is King expecting, however i don't think levy would ever turn down a bargain.

The guy is clearly a Spurs legend and worth another contract (and if we're giving deals to Ryan Nelsen then Ledley probably has a few more yet!)

HOWEVER (<tin hat on>) when I've seen Ledley play this year he's looked a lot slower to me than in previous years and at times looked like Bambi on ice. He often half-runs now rather than getting into a full sprint - this might simply be that he's using his head and not trying to over exert himself and therefore pick up more injuries however its not ideal either way. Despite this though he hasnt had any shocking performances however I also dont think he's been as dominating as he has been in previous years. Kind of like 7/10 performance rather than Ledley from recent years where most performances are 8/10 or 9/10

So whilst I would still give him a new contract, I really do think that we need to view him being fit as a bonus rather than someone we can rely on ie we should be signing 1 or 2 CBs in the summer such that we base our preferred CB pairing and back-up excluding King and then if he's fit then its a bonus and we decide whether we play him

i mean the new contract that king is waiting on.
i'd expect our wage bill to keep rising as we continue to reward our best players, somewhere's got to give.

Simple, give the man a one year contract with an option to extend it for a year at the Club's discretion. Same as what we do for all the other players. That way, if he manages to avoid injuries next season and plays a fair share of games then we simply convert the one year contract into a two year contract, and we continue to have the world's best defender on our books. It's a no brainer.

i mean the new contract that king is waiting on.
i'd expect our wage bill to keep rising as we continue to reward our best players, somewhere's got to give.

I'd assume Pienaar, Jenas, Gomes and Bentley will give.

Also King, Gallas and Friedel in the next couple of years.

If we're bringing through our own youth then i'd assume they're not going to be on crazy wages either. (Walker, Caulker and Naughton, maybe even Kane if he makes it)...

I think Gallas will leave. I also think bassong will leave. So will Charlie and a couple of the loanees may also leave.

Crazy to give him a two years contract with his fitness issues,
he'll have to choose between a pay as you play contract or a 1+1 contract.
Our success isn't a given, we need to spend our money well.
It's not like we just decide to give Glenn Hoddle ?ú6m because he's a club legend.
One have to contribute to get paid and two years is a big risk when it comes to King.

The guy is clearly a Spurs legend and worth another contract (and if we're giving deals to Ryan Nelsen then Ledley probably has a few more yet!)

HOWEVER (<tin hat on>) when I've seen Ledley play this year he's looked a lot slower to me than in previous years and at times looked like Bambi on ice. He often half-runs now rather than getting into a full sprint - this might simply be that he's using his head and not trying to over exert himself and therefore pick up more injuries however its not ideal either way. Despite this though he hasnt had any shocking performances however I also dont think he's been as dominating as he has been in previous years. Kind of like 7/10 performance rather than Ledley from recent years where most performances are 8/10 or 9/10

So whilst I would still give him a new contract, I really do think that we need to view him being fit as a bonus rather than someone we can rely on ie we should be signing 1 or 2 CBs in the summer such that we base our preferred CB pairing and back-up excluding King and then if he's fit then its a bonus and we decide whether we play him

This for me. He hasn't been as dominant this season as previous seasons, but he still puts in solid, quality performances every game. And bar the ManC penalty, he almost never makes costly mistakes.

As long as we don't rely on him as first choice, and he accepts that he'll play more of a bit part in the team, we should negotiate a two year deal for him - possibly with reduced wages/play bonuses. I suspect he might be playing for Spurs for longer than most of us expect...

Funny as a few years ago I would have said no, but he has surely done enough to warrant at least a 1+1 contract. He is a freak of nature Even if he only gives us 15-20 matches per season he is easily worth it our record shows it

Back