• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

And in terms of your thread topic

Assou-Ekotto is the single most fan-overrated player on this board in terms of actual ability vs hype

Corluka was momentarily the one prior to that although not for long, thankfully

Both BAE and Corluka influenced our play in fantastic ways.

The only downside to Corluka is his lack of pace and BAE are his defensive lapses and hoofs.The reason Lennon had such a fantastic run of form 2 years ago was partly down to Corluka forming a great understanding with him and playing brilliant through balls to him several times per game.Also,Corluka was our most consistent player for a good year and a half until he got injured and was always getting 7's or 8's ratings.

This season BAE has been heavily involved in most of our attacks and he is usually the one that starts them from the back.

Walker still has a long long way to go to be as influental

What you've said above can be summarised as follows

Two decent players putting in decent shifts ever week with the occasional lapse in concentration resulting in brick goals conceded.

However - since your thread is abour overrated players, my point is - those two are rated by most as far superior to what they actually were. Which is what overrating means as far as I know. Hype over ability.

Ekotto and Dawson are the most overrated players on this board. Walker is very young and talented, surely haven't given up on him already.

Walker is fast, athletic, a beast. Technically he is poor. His attributes will make him a success in the league all the same.

Ekotto is a much better footballer (passing, crossing, ball control, dribbling) than Walker. His problem is when he switches off defensively.
Walker is never gonna have these abilities, you can't learn them overnight. He's a footballing athlete. He should concentrate on the defensive part of his game. He has the strength and the tackling ability. He need to improve on his positioning and concentration. He also uses his pace to get himself out of trouble too often. He can't rely on that all the time. He needs to learn to read the game and position himself better. He's not the finished article by any means. The poor guy has played way too much football this season and its showing.

Wow. I'm a little taken aback by this thread.

Whenever Walker gets near the ball I'm thinking "Go on son"...whenever Hutton went near the ball I was thinking "oh brick". Fast runners or not, there's a big difference.

I also think that Walker is a much better defender than you give him credit for.

Of the current bunch starting games, the defender I'm most worried about at the moment is *takes a breath*...Ledley.

Walker has to improve his defending. Im sure in time this will happen. Lots of potential there.

Cant believe people saying Ekotto is overrated. Yes he is prone to the odd mistake, but overall he is a massive plus to the side

I dont think we have overrated players. We have a top quality squad. None of them are perfect but i doubt anyone is claiming them to be.

There's also a key difference in comparing Walker to BAE.

BAE generally gets to play behind Bale - which is going to have significant impact on the threat's that he has to deal with (how far players will push up on our left hand side and therefore his defensive duties, and when he has the ball what his attacking options are)

Walker gets to play behind Lennon, VdV, Modric, Nico, even Bale - so not only does he have less chance to form a partnership but I imagine opposition are generally going to view this as our weaker side to attack on etc. with players out of position - or simply not the same threat as Blae has on the left.

Finally, Walker is young and obviously has (some) talent and is gaining experience. Will he become an outstanding right back - or make way for someone else in the future? I don't know - but at least there's a chance that he might

Disagree completly about Walker being the most overated, for me the most overated player at Spurs is Hudd.

Strange thread. I haven't seen many people raving about Walker on here. He's a really decent young player with great potential. He's been run into the ground in recent weeks.

I'd say the reason Benoit has had so much influence going forwards in recent weeks is that Bale has been anywhere but on the left and thus Benny has had the whole flank to himself. I often thought when he received the ball 'that should be Bale in that position'. Walker on the other hand has been playing on a somewhat congested flank without a natural attacking outlet in front of him to create space or to allow him to overlap.

I'm not sure any of our players are overrated. THey're all pretty good to be honest aren't they. Especially when played in the correct positions.

OP, I agree that he is massively over rated. The most over rated player, by our fans, at the club is definitely Clotto though. Both our full backs are tinkle poor at the moment. I'm still flabbergasted that we let Corluka go and kept Walker.....

Correctly rated by most I think. Talented, very promising youngster who is already performing at a good level.

I would have liked to see us use, and keep Corluka more as he was more solid and had a good partnership with Lennon. But Walker will be a good player. Has already developed quite a bit this season.

Don't think he is overrated, just having a bit of a poor spell that has coincided with the team looking pretty jaded. Obviously still has alot to learn but all in all for a first full season in posession of the jersey at this level, he has done pretty well to my mind.

He is 21 years old and will get better with experience. One of his worst errors was falling asleep for the opener from Nasri up at Emirates Marketing Project but as he gets older those sorts of things will be ironed out of his game.

I do wonder if Hutton had been a local boy coming through our youth team instead of an expensive signing from Scotland that people would have liked him a bit better. He was awesome in the Carling Cup final and had a decent run of form in the first half of last season too. Been brick for Villa though.

Walker's form has dipped. But at 21, he's got plenty of time to get better which he only will through experience. I certainly remember Ashley Cole having similar defensive lapses at the same age and he turned out ok.

OP, I agree that he is massively over rated. The most over rated player, by our fans, at the club is definitely Clotto though. Both our full backs are tinkle poor at the moment. I'm still flabbergasted that we let Corluka go and kept Walker.....

Its obvious that Redknapp and him had some sort of falling out. Harry played Livermore at right back ahead of him in the Europa League games when Corluka was fit.

Its obvious that Redknapp and him had some sort of falling out. Harry played Livermore at right back ahead of him in the Europa League games when Corluka was fit.

You could be right as I find the decision to let our backup fullback disappear with no obvious cover as rather baffling, and certainly not in the best interests of the club.

As for Walker I agree that his form has dipped but this dip is practically team-wide so it is not really fair to single him out. He's an excellent player who will get better and better and take the England spot for his own in a year or two.

The falling out was merely Corluka being stuck as 2nd choice and not being happy as a sub, especially with the Euro coming up.

Nothing more, nothing less. Arry didn't want to let him go but he kept begging for regular action

fudge me, we almost have an overrated XI in this thread alone :D is this what happens when we lose three on the trot?

Back