• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

People slagging Walker off are just utterly insane with no understanding of football. What i hate most about the internet are keyboard warriors who spout back, saying whatever the want, no consequence. This is his first full season in the premiership, his first season playing for Spurs and has made it into the England team. he has been an incredible right back for us this season; yet every time he has abad game people jump on their soapboxes and launch their attacks.

Sickens me
Has he really been an INCREDIBLE right back?.He has 1 assist this whole season,and 1 goal which was more down to luck.He has cost us alot of goals this season because his defending is simply terrible.The only reason he doesn't get exposed more often is because we have such a good midfield which dominates most of the matches.His only real quality is his pace,and that is all.For all the praise he is getting for his attacking,he has done very very little so far.He can't beat people like Bale and Lennon can,he cant whip in dangerous crosses from deep,his passing is mediocre and his understanding with Lennon is non existant.If Corluka had done as many errors as Walker this season,people would be calling for a crucifixion.He is a liability in defense and his attacking is not nearly good enough for him to warrant a starting place.

But hey,Walker is young,english,has pace and is strong.Must be an awesome player,right?

People slagging Walker off are just utterly insane with no understanding of football. What i hate most about the internet are keyboard warriors who spout back, saying whatever the want, no consequence. This is his first full season in the premiership, his first season playing for Spurs and has made it into the England team. he has been an incredible right back for us this season; yet every time he has abad game people jump on their soapboxes and launch their attacks.

Sickens me

Lindsay_Lohan_in_Confessions_of_a_Teenage_Drama_Queen_Wallpaper_2_800.jpg

As said though, fair play to him admitting he was below the standards that should be expected when playing for a club like Spurs, in my criticism I have always mentioned that he is still young and has much to learn, and has great potential.

Has he really been an INCREDIBLE right back?.He has 1 assist this whole season,and 1 goal which was more down to luck.He has cost us alot of goals this season because his defending is simply terrible.The only reason he doesn't get exposed more often is because we have such a good midfield which dominates most of the matches.His only real quality is his pace,and that is all.For all the praise he is getting for his attacking,he has done very very little so far.He can't beat people like Bale and Lennon can,he cant whip in dangerous crosses from deep,his passing is mediocre and his understanding with Lennon is non existant.If Corluka had done as many errors as Walker this season,people would be calling for a crucifixion.He is a liability in defense and his attacking is not nearly good enough for him to warrant a starting place.

But hey,Walker is young,english,has pace and is strong.Must be an awesome player,right?

Bang on.
I like Walker its not his fault. But I'd like to see Spurs some day line up with 2 reliable full backs.
Maybe one day spurs will stop conceding.

he has played an extraordinary amount of football for his age/first season in our first team.
clearly he could do with a break, but has hardly ever got one, even from cup matches...and with no back-up available, doesn't look like he will get one...[/QUOTE]

And it makes the sending out of Corluka on loan a even worse decision.

Fair play to Walker for admitting he wasn't at his best today (yesterday!). I think considering his age, lack of experience, etc., he's had a very good season for us overall. Yes he's got a lot to work on, but what player his age doesn't? The experience he's gaining from being a first team regular this season is going to be invaluable for him in the future, you have to make mistakes to learn from them, and I'm glad we're giving a young player a chance to establish himself in the side. Hopefully he keeps improving and we could get years of great service out of him.

(Do agree though that it wasn't a great idea to let all our right back cover go!)

It's good to see a player admit that they can have a bad game or two every once in a while. You know, while it is annoying, twitter is actually turning out to be an invaluable part of modern football. It's taken the place of conversations between the players and the fans that used to happen in ye olden days, while returning from the game on the bus, or over a pint in the pub, etc, etc. While that is gone forever, unless 99 percent of the money in the game is pumped out, twitter still helps the modern generation of fans connect with their idols, since it allows conversation (of a sort) and an insight into what goes on in a player's life.

I like Walker but Corluka is the better fullback vs top opposition.

I saw Corluka vs Ashley Young once and he completely dominated him and recently, I saw Corluka vs Barcelona and he was MOTM for Levurkusen.

Kyle Walker- Most overrated player on this board?

I know I will get a lot of stick for posting this here but I think it's worth a topic...

I just think Walker is a really really average full back.His only real quality is his incredible pace and I think he is by far the weakest link in our back four and he is directly at fault for alot of the goals we conceded this season.His only real defensive "quality" is his recovery pace and he offers very little going forward.I know alot of people will say "he is young,he will improve" which he certainly will to a degree,but at the moment he really shouldn't be in our starting 11.
I can't remember when was the last time he actually beat player's and offered extra width going forward.When you compare him to the other three fullbacks we have or had,you can clearly see that Walker is the worst of them all.

Perhaps the full back that Walker is the most a like was Hutton.Alan was quite bad in defense as we all know,but atleast he was very good going forward.He could beat several players,cut in or cross the ball very good.He was a real outlet on the right side and he offered quite a few assists and goals.All that Walker does is run really fast when there is alot of open space and as soon as somebody stands in front of him,he passes the ball sideways or back.He made Glenn Johnson look like a world class defender.

If you take a look at our matches,you can see how brilliantly sometimes BAE affects our play with great forward runs or direct balls to our strikers or long balls to Bale.He starts our attacks in a similar fashion that Corluka did before and I think we miss that alot from the right side.Walker's understanding with Lennon has been nothing special,if anything,they are in each others way most of the time.

I will not go into detail with the defensive side of his game because there is alot of room for improvement in every aspect,I am just dissapointed that for an "attacking" full back he offers so very little.I think Harry made a big mistake with letting Corluka go and not getting an adequate replacement.

There are ways of saying Walker needs to improve with arguments for and against, but this is nothing but an attack.

Shockorama

He is nothing like Hutton and quite frankly I stopped reading after that. Sorry pal, but that comparison is preposterous

Hutton was an attrocious defender and quite possibly one the worst RBs in the last 10 years to have worn the shirt.

He was terrible going forward and even worse defending. Zero positional awarness, concentration or basic understanding of movement patterns/predicting play

Walker is superior in all aspects and could be England's first choice RB for the next decade.

Last edited:
I think saying his defending is suspect is unfair. He is a young player and his defending when up against the opposing team coming down the wing is good, also his pace allows him to take opposing wingers out the game. I feel where he has shown flaws has been in play where he is taken out of that position and moved more centrally either for set plays or when the defence is pulled out of shape.

The latter are traits that can be addressed with training and experience, he's got the tools to be an excellent full back he just needs more experience.

And in terms of your thread topic

Assou-Ekotto is the single most fan-overrated player on this board in terms of actual ability vs hype

Corluka was momentarilly the one prior to that although not for long, thankfully

Last edited:
Hutton was terrible at defending. Just...terrible. I would downgrade my expectations of the match every time I saw his name on the teamsheet. And while he could be good at attacking (and was better at it that Walker currently is imo..as his tactic has been found out a bit) he could also do some incredibly braindead things. Like running up the wing. Looking up at the box, sees no-one there. Looks up again, still no-one there. Then, rather than keep possession, he crossed the ball into the empty box anyway.

I actually think Walker's defending is fine. Sometimes he has lapses of concentration, sure but its to be expected, he's only 21. We'll have the same with Caulker next season and possibly Naughton and we need to make sure we don't turn on them and let them develop. That will improve with age. He is no Maldini in terms of defending but I think, with his pace, especially, he gets by fine.

Its his attacking that has gotten to be a little bit of a problem at the moment. He was roasting players at the beginning of the season but teams seem to have figured him out to an extent now and he hardly gets crosses across the box anymore because he always takes that extra touch to get the ball away from him. I hope they're working on it in training because if he sorts this out, and his concentration lapses, he could be a great defender.

I'm very happy to have him in the team.

Back