• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Trips is playing winger, with Sissoko sitting in. Clearly Trips is not expected to be both furthest forward AND full back.

Just because Walker and Rose tried to do this, does not mean mere mortals can do it
Pacy and/or quick thinking fullbacks are a necessity in a Poch system. Otherwise teams will get runners in behind us time and time again as the fullbacks push up. Poch has not really replaced Walker.

He wants his fullbacks to be effective both offensively and defensively with one of the defensive midfielders helping out when the fullback is occasionally caught high up the pitch. Unfortunately with Trippier that is probably more often than Poch would like. In Trips and Aurier Poch has an imperfect pair, one who is great going forward but weaker defensively and vis versus. Also Aurier seems rather injury prone as well as taking time to adjust to the PL. I think that is the reason Trippier has played more games this season.

I think a large part of it is the compromise to the team.

At no point have we had our strongest 11 to play. Not had the resolute midfield we always rely on. Not had the balanced attack. Not really had a balanced team.

The whole season has been a compromise, and its one that has persistently exposed Trippier.

Not that Im trying to make excuses for him, he has been poor IMO and I think we can do better.

Correlation doesn't prove causation as the old adage goes. It may just be a statistical quirk. I genuinely don't think his influence is big enough to cause us to win more games when he plays. It does seem though, that the more tactically astute managers target him. Managers like Espirito de Santo and Puell. I think Rose is far more influential.
Maybe but it still begs the question why Poch starts him more often than either Aurier or KWP?
Kieran has 27 appearances out of 39 this season (all comps) as against 14 by Aurier and just 7 by KWP. True Aurier has been out with injury etc but so too has Trips. Yet still he gets selected when fit over KWP and that despite the latter's impressive improvement recently. If Trippier's performances were really that bad surely Poch would use him less and the others more?

Maybe but it still begs the question why Poch starts him more often than either Aurier or KWP?
Kieran has 27 appearances out of 39 this season (all comps) as against 14 by Aurier and just 7 by KWP. True Aurier has been out with injury etc but so too has Trips. Yet still he gets selected when fit over KWP and that despite the latter's impressive improvement recently. If Trippier's performances were really that bad surely Poch would use him less and the others more?

As Stephen says, best of a bad bunch, basically.

Personally I like Aurier, I think on form he is a better and more rounded player, but it is undeniable he is really really inconsistent. You just dont know what youre getting with him.

KWP, if he was as good as the hype, would have pushed into regular contention by now. And he just hasnt. So is he as good as people hope? When Ive seen him Ive thought he was decent. Nothing great, not bad, does a job. BUT, with Trippier and Aurier making a mess of it its there for KWP to force his way in, we have to ask why he hasnt.

If I were to speculate I think we would happily let all 3 go if we could secure replacements.

Most likely 2 of the 3 out, with one in, but honestly which two would most likely depend on interest.

Personally I don't think Trippier is as bad as some of his performances this year suggest. He's probably suffering from an injury /World Cup fatigue /or both.
People are far too quick to knee jerk.
People were slagging off Winks recently, now he's playing well.
Trippier was a lot better last year, just as Winks was before his injury.

Strange you say he needs to cross the ball early, I'd argue that crossing early is his one big speciality! Personally I love the way he hooks it first time across the face of the goal. I'd argue he has been doing that all along in recent games, not always as accurately as you'd wish but often enough. Part of the problem imo is the failure of our forwards to get on the end of them.

As I have pointed out previously, it's interesting that our overall win % when he plays is better than when he doesn't. Explain that one!

When he's in form .. I haven't seen that in a long time. I'd argue the games last season when he had a number of assists, he'd get 4-5 early crosses in per half, I honestly cannot remember him putting 3 early crosses in a game recently.

Re why Poch plays him, I really think its a combination of alternates issues, and the win ratio can purely be a anomaly as @Robspur12 said.

There must be hope for Trippier. It's got to be easier to coach defensive positioning than competent crossing (based on the poor crossing witnessed from a range of players in the Premiership). Assuming Trippier can follow orders, and has reasonable observational skills, some rigorous brainwashing on the training ground should iron out any lack of instinctive defensive ability eventually.

In the meantime, attaching him to Toby with a piece of elastic might help.

I think he will be kept around as an 'option'.

Quite where that leaves KWP I'm not sure. I would send him out on loan.

Poch has had him 3 years now, hasnt he? If Trippier was going to improve significantly I think he would have by now.

This for me as well, there is no doubt he is a better player now then when he first came here ( thanks to Poch) but i do believe he is now at his limit and what you see now is what you get.

For me i would rather give Aurier more games ( if he can keep fit).

This for me as well, there is no doubt he is a better player now then when he first came here ( thanks to Poch) but i do believe he is now at his limit and what you see now is what you get.

For me i would rather give Aurier more games ( if he can keep fit).
The only one who hasn’t been continually poor, or to be fairer, quite clearly a lower standard player than their team mates, is KWP because he’s barely played, so I think he deserves a run.

However I’m still hoping we buy someone or some CM’s get fit again and we play Sissoko there. Think he’d tear it up, especially if it was wing back.

The only one who hasn’t been continually poor, or to be fairer, quite clearly a lower standard player than their team mates, is KWP because he’s barely played, so I think he deserves a run.

However I’m still hoping we buy someone or some CM’s get fit again and we play Sissoko there. Think he’d tear it up, especially if it was wing back.

That's odd, was thinking this today. I have always liked Sissoko at RWB, if we do find the right player in CM then losing one of the three RBS and having Moussa as a genuine option there and in CM when needed it would make sense to me. It'd be nice if we could consistently get the Serge that looks so much more composed in big CL games on the regular, with KWP also getting a run of games; it's getting silly with him, surely he needs to be playing football by now...

Back