• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kids in sport

Spurmac1974

Reto Ziegler
Just listening to the sports minister on Sky Sports News, Spurs fan by the way!
There was a stat thrown at her which was 1 in 4 kids think playing a computer game is a form of exercise.

Was just wondering do your kids play sport and if so what and how often? Would you say they are physically fit?

My oldest is 10 and has Type 1 Diabetes, plays Gaelic, Hurling and swims for local club. I would say hes physically fit but where we live hes not out and about playing football etc.

The schools need to do more to as they don't push p.e like they used to my son of 7 is supposed to do it once a week but rarely happens.

He plays football for a club trains twice a week and matches Sunday.
Also swims once a week. And once a week does after school football.
I would say he does enough I also play football or cricket in the park as much as possible.

But again school p.e is shocking these days sad really.

Have the same experience of P.E in school, its definitely not a weekly thing. Very sporadic, the school teams are generally picked without even a trial and
don't train for any upcoming matches etc. There doesn't appear to be a school league for soccer or Gaelic. They do run some after school sessions but again very sporadic. I think they should have P.E at least once a week and after school once a week. An hour a day is the minimum recommended exercise and school isnt helping on that front.
Because it all happens outside of school the running the parents have to do to get to everything is getting unmanageable, at the minute in our house we are on the go Sunday(gaelic matches or training), Monday(Gaelic Training), Tuesday(swimming), Wednesday(hurling training), Thursday(swimming), Friday(Swimming), Saturday(hurling Matches & swimming Training)

That's a pretty full on schedule you have there ..
I would just like the schools to be regular with the p.e. Would help the lazy kids get motivated.
I'm pleased my son likes football and has friends out of school as his school pals just want to play x box and don't enjoy sport. I think as I play sport year round has influenced my son into playing regular sport.

I have pals who are p.e teachers in secondary school and they have taken on new subjects as p.e has been cut back.

Its hectic, and after this year he will probably have to drop one of them toncope with big school!
I run 4 times a week and race etc, definitely think it helps to show you like feeling fit & healthy.
The number of not just over weight but obese kids i see doing the school run in the morning is horrendous!

I have a mate who is a PE teacher and he told be that the 2 hours a week which used to be compulsory at his school has been scrapped. He also hated the fact that there is not supposed to be winners and losers in games when they play them, he seems to think that it breeds a nation of losers and I tend to agree with him.

Back