• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kalidou Koulibaly

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea given his age. I also think that our midfield and fullbacks are of greater priority.

That much for a 28 year old with no EPL experience makes van Dijk look even more like an absolute steal!

Thinking back, a lot of people were criticising that deal at the time saying it was too much.

Their strike rate in the transfer market has been pretty bang on over the past 3-5 years (with maybe the odd blemish).

Robertson
Fabinho
Salah
Mane
Firmino
Wijnaldum

The first 11 recruitment has barely failed and the back ups have performed when needed:

Ox
Matip
Keita
Origi
Milner
Gomez

Thinking back, a lot of people were criticising that deal at the time saying it was too much.

Their strike rate in the transfer market has been pretty bang on over the past 3-5 years (with maybe the odd blemish).

Robertson
Fabinho
Salad
Mane
Firmino
Wijnaldum

The first 11 recruitment has barely failed and the back ups have performed when needed:

Ox
Matip
Keita
Origi
Milner
Gomez

Yup that Michael Edwards doing a stellar job as their Director of Football, wish we’d had someone as good in place whilst Levy had his hands full dealing with new stadium build.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6525512-every-one-of-michael-edwards-signings-at-liverpool-ranked

Yup that Michael Edwards doing a stellar job as their Director of Football, wish we’d had someone as good in place whilst Levy had his hands full dealing with new stadium build.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6525512-every-one-of-michael-edwards-signings-at-liverpool-ranked
He previously worked for us, but not on the DOF role. Liverpool had the vision to appoint him and give him the reins to make procurement decisions.

The mistake many fans make with Spurs is thinking that our scouting fails which is incorrect, we often identify good potential targets and some times even at the perfect stage in their career. Where we fail is no being willing to take the gamble and buy those players. That comes down to the overall leaders of the club imo, as no matter who is nominally in the position of DOF the pattern is always the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

He previously worked for us, but not on the DOF role. Liverpool had the vision to appoint him and give him the reins to make procurement decisions.

The mistake many fans make with Spurs is thinking that our scouting fails which is incorrect, we often identify good potential targets and some times even at the perfect stage in their career. Where we fail is no being willing to take the gamble and buy those players. That comes down to the overall leaders of the club imo, as no matter who is nominally in the position of DOF the pattern is always the same.

I disagree with you somewhat here. I think back to our spells when we had Arnesen, Comolli and Baldini and we seemed to be able to buy and sell players quite freely in those periods.

We are in a different phase now with much larger budgets across all areas. The long term stadium build will be eased out across, many years. The immediate lift in short term revenue from hospitality and ticket sales should see us dealing with with more and bigger deals.

I believe we had to make a step adjustment and it was during the year we didn't buy players. Nobody appoints someone like Mourinho to work with Arnesen type purchases only. Levy's mistake is in allowing the wheels to fallout so quickly while Poch was here.

The manager merry-go-round is erratic, so better late than never. Mourhino may not be the ideal coach for Spurs but he is a step up from Poch, and the right one for us now.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We are in a different phase now with much larger budgets across all areas. The long term stadium build will be eased out across, many years. The immediate lift in short term revenue from hospitality and ticket sales should see us dealing with with more and bigger deals.

I believe we had to make a step adjustment and it was during the year we didn't buy players. Nobody appoints someone like Mourinho to work with Arnesen type purchases only. Levy's mistake is in allowing the wheels to fallout so quickly while Poch was here.

The manager merry-go-round is erratic, so better late than never. Mourhino may not be the ideal coach for Spurs but he is a step up from Poch, and the right one for us now.

He is not a step up. That is simply down to personal perceptions. You will doubtless quote me trophies won, I will throw back budgets given and the opinion merry go round will go again. But to say he is a step up is wrong in my opinion.

The real issue is one you've quoted but not accepted, arnesen budget, winning ambition.
If when poch signed his career and achievements had been laid out in front of us we would have been delighted, now reading some posters you'd think he was Tim sherwood.
Emirates Marketing Project took a title winning team, added the best manager in the world and spent a fortune, again,
Liverpool finished second, because of one slip, sacked the manager, appointed one of the best managers in the world and backed him with world class signings he wanted,
Spurs? Take a punt on an up and coming manager, give him little money, players he doesn't want, move away from home for a season and a half and then after repeatedly being told this can't go on, sack him.

Levy needs to decide what he wants, one of the big boys challenging for trophies, or the guy that wins the transfer Cup.
Over the medium term you can't do both.

The real issue is one you've quoted but not accepted, arnesen budget, winning ambition.
If when poch signed his career and achievements had been laid out in front of us we would have been delighted, now reading some posters you'd think he was Tim sherwood.
Emirates Marketing Project took a title winning team, added the best manager in the world and spent a fortune, again,
Liverpool finished second, because of one slip, sacked the manager, appointed one of the best managers in the world and backed him with world class signings he wanted,
Spurs? Take a punt on an up and coming manager, give him little money, players he doesn't want, move away from home for a season and a half and then after repeatedly being told this can't go on, sack him.

Levy needs to decide what he wants, one of the big boys challenging for trophies, or the guy that wins the transfer Cup.
Perfect post. [emoji1533]

He is not a step up. That is simply down to personal perceptions. You will doubtless quote me trophies won, I will throw back budgets given and the opinion merry go round will go again. But to say he is a step up is wrong in my opinion.
A step up in terms of overall quality (although impossible to agree on if even real) is a debate going nowhere. I think Poch was finished with us, I don't think he would have turned it around. We can only hope that his successor proves to be of a similar quality and fit for us.

We are just settling into the new normal now with the new stadium.
Now we get the bigger budgets, now we can tell if there's real ambition and the willingness to spend.

I'd take Mourinho as a good sign that we do.

This is a great post and it's very hard to argue with it but I'll try offer a counterpoint anyway.

To me, up to now, Levy seems to want to challenge for trophies in a sustainable way. If we grow revenue, we can spend more on players and win trophies. He's put a lot of the infrastructure in there to grow revenue but we aren't there yet. So he wants to continue to win the transfer cup and revenue cup with a view to challenging for trophies. His critics would say that he's trying to grow profit and that's all Levy and Enic care about.

Where my theory falls down a little bit is that Levy has appointed a man who you only appoint to win trophies. There is no point in Jose if you want to win the transfer cup because that's not what he's about and he won't be here in three years anyway.

So by virtue of appointing Mourinho, I think your last paragraph is spot on. In fact, I think Levy has already picked winning trophies as what he wants and he needs to back that up because Jose is a great manager but not a miracle worker.

Back