• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

Very funny. Generally avoided this thread for about 3-4 months as haven’t seen him play since they played Bristol City when he actually did well. My complaints weren’t ever as simple as ‘don’t rate’ - they were (i) didn’t ever seem to really put in the effort, generally strolling around rather than working hard and (ii) in all his appearances for us last season, he was ineffective - didn’t really ever beat a man, play a killer ball ever etc (wasn’t asking for all the time, just some signs of his ability).

Hopefully we’ll loan him out to someone else as the Villa loan doesn’t sound like it’s helping him develop and the 2016/7 version of him wasn’t much use to us. Maybe then he’ll add something to the squad when he comes back next season

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I wonder whether your perception of him strolling around and not putting in the effort is formed due to languid style? Onomah does more than his fair share of running, tracking, tackling and intercepting. He just has quite a languid style. Kanoute would get some of the same criticisms from Spurs fans due to this.

It seems there are two quite contrasting views of Onomah. One that he is a young and very talented CM destined for greatness but whose opportunities to develop are being wasted at Villa because they persist in playing him at AM.

The other is that he is basically a lazy son of a b**** and therefore regardless of any innate talent he may possess will never make it to the higher echelons.

Maybe we need a poll so that posters can finally nail their colours to the mast and then we can all look back in a year or two's time and gloat or wince accordingly. :rolleyes: :D

It seems there are two quite contrasting views of Onomah. One that he is a young and very talented CM destined for greatness but whose opportunities to develop are being wasted at Villa because they persist in playing him at AM.

The other is that he is basically a lazy son of a b**** and therefore regardless of any innate talent he may possess will never make it to the higher echelons.

Maybe we need a poll so that posters can finally nail their colours to the mast and then we can all look back in a year or two's time and gloat or wince accordingly. :rolleyes: :D

Onomah has never been lazy. A tendency to be a bit too passive/not stamp his authority on senior games like he does at youth level would be fairer.

Bruce apparently trying to get Ulloa and Amartey on loan from Leicester. The latter is a defender that can also play in midfield.

I'm a bit torn on him. Has the potential to be a great player on the one hand, but too many ups and downs on the other. I just hope he doesn't become our Paul Pogba (let him go, just to discover he's a world beater in a couple of seasons). And in our case, it's not like we have the cash to buy him back.

Onomah has never been lazy. A tendency to be a bit too passive/not stamp his authority on senior games like he does at youth level would be fairer.

Thats always been my take. Not lazy, its not like he doesnt put in the running, but definitely "passive". He doesnt own it either, rather just follows the ebb and flow of the game without trying to effect it.

Thats always been my take. Not lazy, its not like he doesnt put in the running, but definitely "passive". He doesnt own it either, rather just follows the ebb and flow of the game without trying to effect it.

But he's also only 20 YO. It's quite a big ask for him to be basically dominating senior games yet (which is what you need to do in that position). Winks has made real strides this season, which Onomah will hopefully replicate next.

I think as much as anything with Onomah it could be a confidence thing. Put him in alongside Wanyama in a couple of easy games and let him realise he can own adult games as well as he can youth ones.

We should look to ease him into games like we did with winks. I frankly think winks is there already, so it would only be Onomah we would be "carrying" for half a season or so till he got up to scratch.

And yes I expect winks will still have the odd off game but he is an established prem player for me.

But he's also only 20 YO. It's quite a big ask for him to be basically dominating senior games yet (which is what you need to do in that position). Winks has made real strides this season, which Onomah will hopefully replicate next.

I think as much as anything with Onomah it could be a confidence thing. Put him in alongside Wanyama in a couple of easy games and let him realise he can own adult games as well as he can youth ones.

Im not asking for him to dominate a game, rather just stand up and be counted and try to contribute.

It does indeed look like confidence. I think its obvious he has ability, the issues seem to be mental, IMO.

Maybe that can change, maybe that cant. Frankly though I dont think he compares to Winks who always participated actively from the first appearance.

Im not asking for him to dominate a game, rather just stand up and be counted and try to contribute.

It does indeed look like confidence. I think its obvious he has ability, the issues seem to be mental, IMO.

Maybe that can change, maybe that cant. Frankly though I dont think he compares to Winks who always participated actively from the first appearance.

Winks is an age group/year older and been played in his preferred position. I'm not saying he hasn't taken his chance better, but he's had a few advantages.

Thing is we HAVE seen Onomah dominate but only at youth levels. One or two posters seem to be either forgetting or somewhat dismissing his outstanding performances for England in the U20s World Cup. He showed in that competition that he can be a truly outstanding CM, so the question is, can he eventually go on to achieve that kind of performance at the highest levels?

As GB and others keep reminding us, he's still young, still learning, still maturing. but he remains imo a very exciting prospect.

Winks is an age group/year older and been played in his preferred position. I'm not saying he hasn't taken his chance better, but he's had a few advantages.

Maybe so, but as a first team observer, Winks has done infinitely better than Onomah.

Onomah has had chances, plenty of chances, and not even come close to owning a role on the pitch. Thats why he has gone on loan and Winks has become a first team regular.

And, honestly, I dont give a brick about how well he does in the youth. Its nice as an indicator of potential ability, but its mans football where it counts. Football is littered with stories of players that looked incredible in the age groups but then disappeared once they came of age and couldnt step up.

Im not saying Onomah cant or wont break through, only that so far he just hasnt stepped up.

If he did it would be great, who doesnt like it when players graduate into the first team from the academy?

You guys could discuss this till the cows come home and that's fine. But I would think unless you know the lads and their characteristics then you/we actually only know a very small part of the of traits that will be vital in any decision making processes.
The example of say Winks vs Onomah will rest on things you would only know if you have been around these lads.

He was physically more developed (he's been over 6' for a while). But Winks has bulked up loads in the last 18 months (and has a lower centre of gravity), so is maybe more advanced physically now?

Maybe so but you talk about Onomah being a year younger than Winks as though it's the reason why Winks is currently ahead of him - Iirc Onomah was drafted in to the first team squad a fair bit before Winks and one would assume he was deemed ready for the step up at that point, which didnt prove to be the case and 2 and a bit years later he is yet he is still no closer to breaking through - he has stagnated, for want of a better phrase.

I appreciate that players develop at different rates but i dont think his age in relation to Winks means we can expect him to kick on as of next season as a matter of fact - which is how you appear to be calling it.

Thing is we HAVE seen Onomah dominate but only at youth levels. One or two posters seem to be either forgetting or somewhat dismissing his outstanding performances for England in the U20s World Cup. He showed in that competition that he can be a truly outstanding CM, so the question is, can he eventually go on to achieve that kind of performance at the highest levels?

As GB and others keep reminding us, he's still young, still learning, still maturing. but he remains imo a very exciting prospect.

If he'd been playing in Spain/Portugal/Brazil and put in that performance in that tournament, people would be wanting us to shell out £30m on him now. Basically he's William Carvalho from 3 years ago.

Had a (work) meeting yesterday with a client who is a Villa fan and we got chatting about Onomah. He's really keen on him and thinks he's had a really positive impact on their season - one of the first names on the team sheet in his opinion. Maybe this is what he needs, regular 1st team football at a big (although fallen) club. We saw what happened to both Kyle Walker (at Villa) and Danny Rose (at Sunderland) - they both came back different, much more complete players

If he'd been playing in Spain/Portugal/Brazil and put in that performance in that tournament, people would be wanting us to shell out £30m on him now. Basically he's William Carvalho from 3 years ago.
Or Renato Sanches... looked like a world beater, won the league as a child in Benfica, snapped up for a record fee by Bayern... but has been awful at Swansea, gives the ball away 99% of the time. 20 YO also.

Renato Júnior Luz Sanches ComM (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʁɨˈnatu ˈsɐ̃ʃɨʒ]; born 18 August 1997) is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Swansea City, on loan from Bayern Munich, and the Portugal national team.

He began his career at Benfica, making his professional debut for the reserves in October 2014 and for the first team in October 2015. In his only season for them, the team won the Primeira Liga and Taça da Liga. He then agreed a move to Bayern Munich for an initial €35 million, the then highest fee for a Portuguese player leaving the domestic league.

Sanches won 40 caps and scored 8 goals for Portugal at youth level. He made his full international debut in March 2016 and was chosen for UEFA Euro 2016 in France, at the age of 18, making him the youngest Portuguese to play in an international tournament, and the youngest player to win a Euro 2016 Final. He scored one goal during the competition and won the Young Player of the Tournament as Portugal captured the title for the first time in their history. He was the recipient of the 2016 Golden Boy Award.

Back