• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

It's track record too though.

We've had maybe 20 odd academy players out on loan under Poch. The only one to ever survive more than the very next window was Tom Carroll. Even those that performed well (Pritchard at Brentford, Ward at Rotherham, Ball at Rangers, Fredericks at Boro, Yedlin at Sunderland) were still gone straight away.

Whereas not one of the most highly-rated group (Winks, Onomah, 2CV, Edwards, KWP) has ever been out on loan.

Things change, players develop or don't and managers have different opinions

A top coach is constantly flexing his approach and Poch will do that

We've had maybe 20 odd academy players out on loan under Poch. The only one to ever survive more than the very next window was Tom Carroll. Even those that performed well (Pritchard at Brentford, Ward at Rotherham, Ball at Rangers, Fredericks at Boro, Yedlin at Sunderland) were still gone straight away.

Whereas not one of the most highly-rated group (Winks, Onomah, 2CV, Edwards, KWP) has ever been out on loan.
As long as you're open to there being exceptions I pretty much agree with you.
Things change, players develop or don't and managers have different opinions

A top coach is constantly flexing his approach and Poch will do that
I think Poch will be flexible. But his track record so far strongly indicates that it will take exceptional circumstances for him to send someone out on loan when he rates the player highly. I'm not sure that's the case for Onomah.

As long as you're open to there being exceptions I pretty much agree with you.

I think Poch will be flexible. But his track record so far strongly indicates that it will take exceptional circumstances for him to send someone out on loan when he rates the player highly. I'm not sure that's the case for Onomah.

He clearly rates him highly but it's also a position of strength for us at the moment

We will see

It's quite simple.

One, Josh has just performed brilliantly in helping England win the U20s World Cup.
Two, Poch says he does not believe in sending our most promising talent out on loan.
Three, it therefore matters not one jot how much he is sought after by the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield and Celtic, he is going nowhere.

It's quite simple.

One, Josh has just performed brilliantly in helping England win the U20s World Cup.
Two, Poch says he does not believe in sending our most promising talent out on loan.
Three, it therefore matters not one jot how much he is sought after by the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield and Celtic, he is going nowhere.

Four, we only have Wanyama, Dembele (can only play once a week), Dier (also being used at CB) and Winks as our CMs. So we actually need Onomah, or will need to buy a new 5th choice CM/promote someone like Joe Pritchard or Luke Amos in his place

You seem to be working from the point that Pochettino won't ever change or adapt in his thinking on this issue which I think is pretty silly tbqh

What happens for example if several academy players stall in their development through not getting enough regular football - will Pochettino refuse to take a different approach?

What if our team continues to develop to a point where we don't need additional players for a year or two - will he sell already established players to make space in the 23 for a lesser quality young player?

What if we produce several players in the same position with not much between them potential wise and there's only room for one in the squad - do we sell the others and risk losing the better player?

There's a milion and one different circumstances that could see Pochettino adapt his thinking on loans and I don't think he's pig headed enough to think he knows the right way to do something first time of asking everytime

Last edited:
I think Poch will be flexible with his policy if he deems it beneficial. We are already seeing loan players coming back to play for the U23s so it's not as if a loan = banishment.
However I'd be surprised if Onomah was put out on loan just because Poch is on record as saying him, KWP and CCV would see more game time next season. I assume that meant with Spurs.

As GB says, with four competitions to fight for having five central midfielders is a minimum requirement.

Dembele, Wanyama, Winks, Onomah with Dier as a final option if not needed in defence. Could do with a centre back upgrade on Wimmer IMO.

Note that our entire central midfield squad members cost less 30m LOL

I hope he is deployed more centrally when he gets his opportunity this season because I like the cut of his jib

He probably needs to get his jib cut ;) but on his positioning I agree. That central position is way more suited to his talents and he was very impressive in the WC in that role. IMO the similarities to Dembele's style of play are striking and he really could be heir to the throne.

Last edited:
He still has a chance to play for Nigeria. The country has to get on the right track though if we want him to.

Why would he want to when you consider the way the NFA takes care of business? I doubt he wants that chance to play for us an I do not begrudge him

Why would he want to when you consider the way the NFA takes care of business? I doubt he wants that chance to play for us an I do not begrudge him

Also he was born and raised in London so I'm guessing with the significant decline in English football he probably feels playing for England would be better for him

My point exactly. There is no attraction in playing for Nigeria at the moment if you are a dual national.

My point exactly. There is no attraction in playing for Nigeria at the moment if you are a dual national.

To be honest I'd always prefer it if a player represents the country of birth. It's that country that gave the player the chance.

Choosing for England will only benefit him and spurs.

Back