• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

Taking the pressure off the kid. If he plays in the dembele role he can easily get picked off lose confidence etc.

Playing him further up the pitch and understand the attacking aspect, will afford a mistake or two without the team or player suffering.

Winks may just be more composed and developed currently.

Alternatively playing him in a position he is not good at probably explains why the majority of the people on this forum who have expressed a view on his performances last season were not impressed.

Anyway, I am hopeful that he will have opportunities in central midfield next season. With Onomah, Winks Dembele, Wanyama and Dier I do not anticipate we need to focus on bringing in another central midfielder

Well he barely plays as it is - Its always cameos for five/ten minutes at best so in that small period obviously be better for him to be played in his best position....

Meaning that he will not be playing at all, which is even worse.

n from him
There was an interesting piece on youth development on 5 live and Danny Murphy said that at Crewe you were made to play in other positions to appreciate your natural position and what you need to do better by seeing the position from another view point.

That was set up by the then coach/manager Dario Gradi and based on the Ajax system which was started in the 80's. I was on a visit to the Ajax academy and they used to play their youngsters in all different positions ( one of the reason most of the players who came through their academy's can use both feet ). I was lucky enough to have been on several courses with Gradi and he was a big supporter of that system ( as i have been during my working years).

Not at all. He has been poor - average being played out of position which will only damage his confidence. Especially after his WC appearances this could be his time to step up and be rotated in a la Winks....

On paper your argument holds water. But Poch has already said he intends to give Josh more game time next season and that was before his impressive performances at CM for England U20s.

So it would be surprising to say the least if someone as accomplished and eager to promote youth as Poch is did not want to give Onomah a fresh chance to prove himself at CM in the domestic cup competitions for example.

Not at all. He has been poor - average being played out of position which will only damage his confidence. Especially after his WC appearances this could be his time to step up and be rotated in a la Winks....

Don't you think that Poch would have been playing him in position if Poch would have thought it would be resonable to do so?

On paper your argument holds water. But Poch has already said he intends to give Josh more game time next season and that was before his impressive performances at CM for England U20s.

I was just responding to those who said that he should be playing in position rather than out. Poch has playing him out of position for a reason.

less pressure on him up top and we need someone to do that job. Onomah gets experience of first team football, is shown the club rates him and he has a path the first team football and gets better training with first team, only downside seems to be Fans deciding he was crap (even though they were told he is playing out of position in a low pressure position to gain experience).

n from him

That was set up by the then coach/manager Dario Gradi and based on the Ajax system which was started in the 80's. I was on a visit to the Ajax academy and they used to play their youngsters in all different positions ( one of the reason most of the players who came through their academy's can use both feet ). I was lucky enough to have been on several courses with Gradi and he was a big supporter of that system ( as i have been during my working years).

It is easier for a player if he has been playing in different positions in the academy to then adapt to a new position when breaking into the first team. Kyle Walker-Peters is a case in point. He is is use to playing in both full back positions which is why he looks comfortable playing as a left back for England under 20 when he started out as a right back.

I was just responding to those who said that he should be playing in position rather than out. Poch has playing him out of position for a reason.

I made the point about the problem of paying him out of position because he has really been slagged off this season, unfairly in my opinon

So do you have any suggestions for what that reason was?
A lot of potential reasons. Difficult to know what's actually going on.

I made the point about the problem of paying him out of position because he has really been slagged off this season, unfairly in my opinon

I don't think him being unfairly slagged off by a vocal minority of our fans online is much of a concern for Pochettino.

A lot of potential reasons. Difficult to know what's actually going on.

I don't think him being unfairly slagged off by a vocal minority of our fans online is much of a concern for Pochettino.

Well I criticised him as an attacker as he has been woeful there. He looked as out of place as maybe a centre back would playing striker

I'll also say that seeing him as a central midfielder playing for the under 20s you can see what a prospect he is there and why he is rated so highly. Hell to me he looked like a potential revelation playing there in his right position which for us could be massive

Well I criticised him as an attacker as he has been woeful there. He looked as out of place as maybe a centre back would playing striker

I'll also say that seeing him as a central midfielder playing for the under 20s you can see what a prospect he is there and why he is rated so highly. Hell to me he looked like a potential revelation playing there in his right position which for us could be massive
Woeful? Really?

To me he had been tidy, but fairly ineffective in that more advanced role for the first team. Utterly unsurprised that he's looked good in this u20 tournament as he's looked a very good prospect for a long time.

Woeful? Really?

To me he had been tidy, but fairly ineffective in that more advanced role for the first team. Utterly unsurprised that he's looked good in this u20 tournament as he's looked a very good prospect for a long time.

Yeah woeful
Didn't create a chance or take one until we played Wycombe
Generally looked unmotivated and lost
Actually looked to me like he didn't know whether to run or hide

In centre mid he looks such the opposite it's scary. He wants the ball and commands the games from what I've seen of this tournament

Yeah woeful
Didn't create a chance or take one until we played Wycombe
Generally looked unmotivated and lost
Actually looked to me like he didn't know whether to run or hide

In centre mid he looks such the opposite it's scary. He wants the ball and commands the games from what I've seen of this tournament

While I wouldn't say "woeful," it does remind me of when Mousa used to play in the attacking band of 3 behind the striker. He just never looked as comfortable there, and I think Josh suffered from the same thing. I've said it before, but I really hope we DON'T buy another CM this summer, so Harry and Josh can be the primary backups to Wanyama and Dembele. If we're ever in a pinch, Dier can also play there obviously too.

Back