• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John McDermott - new Technical Director

In isolation this is a bad thing. John is renowned as being the best in the country, the FA have been trying to get him for years.

One thing this could do though is make it easier to bring in Jose’s friend from Nice.

I thought José's friend was at Lille

Probably more like £40m+ just on those players and there were several more (and imagine if we added Kane to that!)

I read a couple of years ago that we had more academy graduates playing professional football than any other club, that is testament to John as what he inherited at Spurs was pretty poor.

Probably more like £40m+ just on those players and there were several more (and imagine if we added Kane to that!)

I read a couple of years ago that we had more academy graduates playing professional football than any other club, that is testament to John as what he inherited at Spurs was pretty poor.
Yep

caulker 400m county champion....is that how we scouted him?
That’s not quite true Dubai. Spurs would still compete with Chelsea and Arsenal for the top, young, local players but also wouldn’t rule out smaller players as some clubs did. John didn’t only want to concentrate on smaller, slower players, he just knew that there is alwys a place in the game for skilful players.

As well as those players you listed (and Caulker was a county 400 metre champion by the way) there were many, many who were strong and fast throughout our academy teams.

it will be very difficult for us to replace John at Spurs. I would imagine we’ll split the role instead and bring in a DoF along with a new academy head yo work under him.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

That’s not quite true Dubai. Spurs would still compete with Chelsea and Arsenal for the top, young, local players but also wouldn’t rule out smaller players as some clubs did. John didn’t only want to concentrate on smaller, slower players, he just knew that there is alwys a place in the game for skilful players.

As well as those players you listed (and Caulker was a county 400 metre champion by the way) there were many, many who were strong and fast throughout our academy teams.

it will be very difficult for us to replace John at Spurs. I would imagine we’ll split the role instead and bring in a DoF along with a new academy head yo work under him.

Good points, mate. Especially about Caulker - he always seemed slow to me, but I guess I'm misremembering.

I'm not implying that McDermott didn't do a good job - a lot of players broke through for us under him, and he's a great pickup for the FA. But this is, as you point out, a chance to reposition ourselves and take the academy in a new direction - especially if Luis Campos, or another DoF, wants to come in and revamp the whole setup from top to bottom.

In isolation this is a bad thing. John is renowned as being the best in the country, the FA have been trying to get him for years.

One thing this could do though is make it easier to bring in Jose’s friend from Lille
In which case, why is he going to the FA? That's a massive step down from working at a proper football club.

In which case, why is he going to the FA? That's a massive step down from working at a proper football club.
A few reasons I could think of....

1. Higher pay.
2. The chance to shape youth coaching in England to ensure that the youngsters have the best chance of being ready for International football so that England can compete for and win the major trophies.
3. (Eventually) more responsibility. I assume that John is moving into this role with the view to eventually moving up from the role of Assistant. Being the Technical Director for the English FA gives him way more responsibility than his current role at Spurs and he has completely plateau'd at Spurs now, especially as he has no desire to get into management.

Or I guess there's a chance that it's simply that he doesn't like Mourinho or disagree's with his brand of football so thought he might as well take up the FA's offer at their 10th time of asking?

A few reasons I could think of....

1. Higher pay.
2. The chance to shape youth coaching in England to ensure that the youngsters have the best chance of being ready for International football so that England can compete for and win the major trophies.
3. (Eventually) more responsibility. I assume that John is moving into this role with the view to eventually moving up from the role of Assistant. Being the Technical Director for the English FA gives him way more responsibility than his current role at Spurs and he has completely plateau'd at Spurs now, especially as he has no desire to get into management.

Or I guess there's a chance that it's simply that he doesn't like Mourinho or disagree's with his brand of football so thought he might as well take up the FA's offer at their 10th time of asking?

1. I can understand - nothing like public entities for throwing away money
  2. I really wouldn't want us employing someone who thinks like that - that's fudging retarded.
  3. I could be the CEO of cleaning out a portaloo - more responsibility over a pile of brick is not better

I think the last point might just be you trying to shoehorn your own (baseless) opinion into someone else's motivations.

1. I can understand - nothing like public entities for throwing away money
  2. I really wouldn't want us employing someone who thinks like that - that's fudging retarded.
  3. I could be the CEO of cleaning out a portaloo - more responsibility over a pile of brick is not better
I think the last point might just be you trying to shoehorn your own (baseless) opinion into someone else's motivations.

You asked why somebody would leave Spurs to take up a senior position at the FA. I gave a few potential reasons.

Re: Point 1. If John can improve youth coaching in England as he did at Spurs then it won't be throwing money away, it would be money well invested.

Re: Point 2. You have to realise that somebody like John has always been a man that shapes coaching methods. It's not at all retarded for somebody to choose to go and try to make a difference to the development of youth coaching in the country. Personally I'd say somebody that would belittle that is probably pretty retarded themselves.

Re: Point 3. The FA's coaching set up isn't a pile of brick. It has already improved significantly over the last 10 years or so but there is still a long way to go. Some people like to take roles where they can make a difference. John can absolutely make a difference to the way that young players are developed in England, whereas much of what he has put in place at Spurs can simply continue.

My last point was just me throwing a possibility out there. The FA have tried to get John on numerous occasions over the last decade but he has always turned them down previously, something must have changed. Maybe it's just that the FA have upped the financial offer considerably to turn his head? Or maybe some peronal reason has him wanting to move nearer home? Or maybe Mourinho has indicated that he wants a revamp and John isn't part of his plans? Of those I think the last reason is most likely and probably equally as likely as the reason I gave in my initial post. I guess we'll never know (unless a book is released at some point in the distant future).

You asked why somebody would leave Spurs to take up a senior position at the FA. I gave a few potential reasons.

Re: Point 1. If John can improve youth coaching in England as he did at Spurs then it won't be throwing money away, it would be money well invested.

Re: Point 2. You have to realise that somebody like John has always been a man that shapes coaching methods. It's not at all retarded for somebody to choose to go and try to make a difference to the development of youth coaching in the country. Personally I'd say somebody that would belittle that is probably pretty retarded themselves.

Re: Point 3. The FA's coaching set up isn't a pile of brick. It has already improved significantly over the last 10 years or so but there is still a long way to go. Some people like to take roles where they can make a difference. John can absolutely make a difference to the way that young players are developed in England, whereas much of what he has put in place at Spurs can simply continue.

My last point was just me throwing a possibility out there. The FA have tried to get John on numerous occasions over the last decade but he has always turned them down previously, something must have changed. Maybe it's just that the FA have upped the financial offer considerably to turn his head? Or maybe some peronal reason has him wanting to move nearer home? Or maybe Mourinho has indicated that he wants a revamp and John isn't part of his plans? Of those I think the last reason is most likely and probably equally as likely as the reason I gave in my initial post. I guess we'll never know (unless a book is released at some point in the distant future).
And maybe he wanted a change and felt he had delivered what he could at spurs

It's still the England setup.

It's like quitting as a lecturer at a prestigious university to go and teach primary school.

Slight worry that we've lost several key people around the academy in recent years.

We should be in a strong position to attract good replacements though.

This, there is a lot of very good coaches in the game and we are a major attraction for them.

Your calm response to puerile posting and a boneheaded attitude is an example to us all. Well done sir.

Your calm response to puerile posting and a boneheaded attitude is an example to us all. Well done sir.
Someone's after a new avater:
Buzz_Killington.jpg

Back