• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joao Cancelo

Huddy

Ruel Fox
We've been linked in the Italian press with this lad, a right back from Valencia. Juve are also reported to be interested. Attack minded with pace and a good touch, probably can't defend for brick.

Obligatory Youtube video below.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about defenders from the Spanish league....

Is it as physical as the English league? That's where they seem to struggle

Looks useful - very believeable that we're interested in him and Pereira - we need attacking fullbacks for when we play 3 at the the back, both are quick (like the man they're replacing) and both are young (23) and on the fringes of the national team so very like the profile of player we often sign.

Unusual that these two, if they are the short-list, are rivals for the Portugal team! Not having watch either of them much, Cancelo has the advantage of having played in La Liga (higher standard than Ligue 1) and is also a couple inches taller, which isnt unhelpful. Both look pretty useful though - hopefully we sign the one with the best attitude

I've watched him live once. Valencia against Celta in the beginning of April. Good player, very good.
But still a bit raw, I think he is better going forward than defending.
Ran a lot, created a couple of chances. Good pace.
Need to bulk up a bit to be ready for the PL. Also watched him in the Euro U21, same thoughts then.
Maybe not ready to be a starter, but in a year or two - without injuries and good coaching - he could be a very good RB IMO.

I've watched him live once. Valencia against Celta in the beginning of April. Good player, very good.
But still a bit raw, I think he is better going forward than defending.
Ran a lot, created a couple of chances. Good pace.
Need to bulk up a bit to be ready for the PL. Also watched him in the Euro U21, same thoughts then.
Maybe not ready to be a starter, but in a year or two - without injuries and good coaching - he could be a very good RB IMO.
To be fair, we need to get them whilst they're fairly raw. We won't have a chance once he's properly established himself and his decision making is better....

From that vid he looks strong and fast but his final ball needs a bit work. Hey, did we just have one of those?

Sounds like a perfect not-yet-perfect buy for us, as long as the price reflects that too

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk
From what I can tell from some light googling his buyout clause is around £25m. He moved for around €15m a couple years back and has developed well since then. Spanish buyout clause confusion aside somewhere in the £25m range seems as a somewhat likely fee.

Probably about what we have to pay if we want someone with bags of potential and the immediate quality to at least challenge Trippier or be a very capable understudy. Unless we can find the right player with some contract issues. Haven't heard anyone like that suggested.

From what I can tell from some light googling his buyout clause is around £25m. He moved for around €15m a couple years back and has developed well since then. Spanish buyout clause confusion aside somewhere in the £25m range seems as a somewhat likely fee.

Probably about what we have to pay if we want someone with bags of potential and the immediate quality to at least challenge Trippier or be a very capable understudy. Unless we can find the right player with some contract issues. Haven't heard anyone like that suggested.
Given that we work our full backs really hard, with walker, rose and even trippier out of action for long spells last season, we really need to find a capable replacement for walker. So even that amount seems reasonable.

I know the radio silence from the club around this is best for negotiations, but can't help but feel anxious about how we are going to replace walker.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

Whoever comes in for the RB berth, we've once again left it way too late for them to hit the ground running. It takes most players a while to settle in to the team ethic and surroundings, let alone a player from overseas, with no prior in the Prem league AND playing in such a crucial position where understanding of those along side you at the back is so critical.

Levy, you asked for this mess with your faffing around. Now it seems even Poch, who always seems to have Levy's back, is making noises about how we need signings (ref. the KWP "he's not ready" quote).

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away was always gonna be tricky first fixture, and with Chelsea to follow my frustrations at the lack of squad depth are starting to set in!

Whoever comes in for the RB berth, we've once again left it way too late for them to hit the ground running. It takes most players a while to settle in to the team ethic and surroundings, let alone a player from overseas, with no prior in the Prem league AND playing in such a crucial position where understanding of those along side you at the back is so critical.

Levy, you asked for this mess with your faffing around. Now it seems even Poch, who always seems to have Levy's back, is making noises about how we need signings (ref. the KWP "he's not ready" quote).

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away was always gonna be tricky first fixture, and with Chelsea to follow my frustrations at the lack of squad depth are starting to set in!

I know just what you mean, we are doomed.

Henrichs from Leverkusen is the right back that I would like us to sign. I actually wouldn't mind us signing anyone from Leverkusen. I thought they played a very similar type of game to us in our meetings with them, so it should be reasonably easy for their players to fit in at Spurs.

Henrichs from Leverkusen is the right back that I would like us to sign. I actually wouldn't mind us signing anyone from Leverkusen. I thought they played a very similar type of game to us in our meetings with them, so it should be reasonably easy for their players to fit in at Spurs.
Yes, and German players are well drilled, skillful team players, and good professionals.

I know just what you mean, we are doomed.

Doomed - of course not. But I believe we have fallen behind our rivals in terms of strengthening the squad depth.

Only time will tell whether the 'priority is keeping our first 11 together' approach turns out to be our biggest advantage as the season rolls on. But I don't think we'll be as lucky as last season...

- I can't see Klopp's team being as shabby defensively.
- Mourinho surely won't be as negative in his style of play this time around, and he has a history of a second-season success factor.
- Conte now has his team settled on 3 at the back from the off.
- Whilst Pep has again spent big (!) and strengthened well and I doubt he'll have the same struggle adapting to the Prem as last season.
- And dare I say the Gooners are just starting to look like a coherent team again with Wenger looking to put his contract troubles and squat unrest behind them.

Will we be in the mixer come May? Probably. But have we done enough business with 6 days to go to convince me we can push our rivals harder than last season? No.

Heinrichs signed a new five-year deal back in May, unfortunately.

Bellarabi, Brandt and Tah would be the other three potential signings we could make from Leverkusen at this time - Brandt, however, apparently has his heart set on a move to Bayern next summer, and both Bellarabi and Tah are coming off distinctly weak seasons (Bellarabi only returned from a serious injury in January, and Tah's been....up and down, to put it lightly).

Back