• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Greaves MBE

Hugely enjoyable interview, infused with typically wry humour and refreshing candour from Jimmy and interlaced with brilliant insights throughout.

Love this one at 27.20 on his return from Italy: '£120-a-week, Chelsea had offered me, but I signed for half-that for Tottenham .... but I was SO happy to sign for Tottenham.'

On his move to West Ham (58-00 on): 'I didn't wanna go, I'd never asked for a transfer... I felt I still had a lot to offer Tottenham, I had NOTHING to offer West Ham. My life, my heart was still at White Hart Lane.'

Thanks mudshark.

Hugely enjoyable interview, infused with typically wry humour and refreshing candour from Jimmy and interlaced with brilliant insights throughout.

Love this one at 27.20 on his return from Italy: '£120-a-week, Chelsea had offered me, but I signed for half-that for Tottenham .... but I was SO happy to sign for Tottenham.'

On his move to West Ham (58-00 on): 'I didn't wanna go, I'd never asked for a transfer... I felt I still had a lot to offer Tottenham, I had NOTHING to offer West Ham. My life, my heart was still at White Hart Lane.'

Thanks mudshark.

About that move to West Ham I was working in Manchester at that time and his first game for the spammers was at City, I had a season ticket at Spurs but instead of going to London to see them play Coventry ( Peters made his debue for us) I decide to go see Jimmy play.

Needless to say he scored two goals in a 5-1 win on a pitch that looked liked the somme, as I said earlier I have never seen a better goal scorer then him.

Yes, sad to see that air of resignation in Jimmy's expression, especially because whenever I think of Jimmy my heart always fills with joy. I'm sure this must also be true of every single Tottenham fan whoever had the good fortune to watch him.

Because he was the one player who, whenever he got hold of the ball around the box, your eyes always lit up with excitement and anticipation at what might be about to happen. You just knew you were about to watch a magician at work. That he possessed not just the wizardry but also the audacity and belief to take on a whole ruck of defenders and somehow, somehow, dance and shimmy and worm and squirm and scamper his way through the lot of them before nonchalantly emerging beyond them with the ball still at his feet around the penalty spot and placing a low daisy-cutter into the far corner out of the keeper's reach.

The only other player I can think of that can do the same kind of thing nowadays is Lionel Messi. I would not argue that the Barcelona magician is more gifted, nor that he has much more to his all-round game, but even he cannot quite conjure up that same outrageous sense of mischief and innocence that Jimmy always seemed to pull it off with.

Last edited:
It may be my old memory playing tricks but I think he was the first player I ever saw try to score direct from a corner, I certainly remember him scoring 2, it was way back in the day of normal people playing in goal not the freaks who now play in that position. Back in the 50/60's at least 3 England keepers were no taller than 5'9".

It may be my old memory playing tricks but I think he was the first player I ever saw try to score direct from a corner, I certainly remember him scoring 2, it was way back in the day of normal people playing in goal not the freaks who now play in that position. Back in the 50/60's at least 3 England keepers were no taller than 5'9".
I just looked it up and found one of them was - coincidentally - exactly 50 years ago today.

Two Goals For Jimmy Greaves Tottenham Beat Liverpool on 1st April 1967
.. Both Tottenham goals were scored by Jimmy Greaves, the second coming direct from a corner with the Liverpool defender on the near post ducking under the ball. Liverpool managed a consolation goal from winger Peter Thompson but Spurs had closed the gap on them to a single point.

Yes, sad to see that air of resignation in Jimmy's expression, especially because whenever I think of Jimmy my heart always fills with joy. I'm sure this must also be true of every single Tottenham fan whoever had the good fortune to watch him.

Because he was the one player who, whenever he got hold of the ball around the box, your eyes always lit up with excitement and anticipation at what might be about to happen. You just knew you were about to watch a magician at work. That he possessed not just the wizardry but also the audacity and belief to take on a whole ruck of defenders and somehow, somehow, dance and shimmy and worm and squirm and scamper his way through the lot of them before nonchalantly emerging beyond them with the ball still at his feet around the penalty spot and placing a low daisy-cutter into the far corner out of the keeper's reach.

The only other player I can think of that can do the same kind of thing nowadays is Lionel Messi. I would not argue that the Barcelona magician is more gifted, nor that he has much more to his all-round game, but even he cannot quite conjure up that same outrageous sense of mischief and innocence that Jimmy always seemed to pull it off with.

Sums it up very well and it is sad to see him as he is nowadays, i was lucky enough to have met him a couple of times and he was always up for a laugh and to see him now its heart breaking. As most who know me would understand that, he was my first hero and the only player who has got near that for me was Hoddle.

I hope the PFA are paying for all medical costs Jimmy has incurred, its players like Greavsie of course that set the foundation for the game we know today, my old man said he was the most natural goalscorer he's ever seen, past or present.

Back