• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Shirt for next season sorted, like a weird name :D

He's in London right? INTERVIEW PLEASE!

Last edited:
We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Ajax for the transfer of Jan Vertonghen, subject to a medical.

The 2011/12 campaign was the Belgium international's most successful season to date - being named Ajax captain at the start and going on to lead the Dutch side to their second straight league title.
The centre back's impressive performances did not go unnoticed as he was named Eredivisie Player of the Year as well as Ajax's Player of the Year in a season that saw him score 10 times in 37 appearances. In total, Jan made 220 appearances and scored 28 goals for Ajax since making his debut for them in 2006.

impressive

Not entirely convinced by what I've seen of him in the Dutch league (only a couple of matches admittedly), but it could have been overconfidence on his behalf if he really was better than everyone else.

Obligatory Youtube video.

[video=youtube;JsG6hA9chos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsG6hA9chos[/video]

I was pretty impressed by him playing for Belgium vs England at left back, looked very comfortable and assured on the ball, passed well and chose his moments to get forward. I like a ball-playing centre back that can join in the odd attack and overload- vermaelen does it v well for the scum! Getting excited for the new season we seem to be doing business early on and doing it well

Didn't think it would happen today, but hey, I like a good surprise :)

As an advocate of his ability I'll have to say I am very happy about this signing. I believe I predicted him as club captain by 2014, was it? Make me proud, Jan! :)

"I'm very happy that the saga's finally over. I don't have to worry about anything any more, and can focus on other things again," the 25-year-old commented on his transfer.

"It's great that I can start at Spurs during pre-season. That was very important for me. I'm looking forward to a great time. I've heard a lot of beautiful stories about Tottenham."

levy_56024a.jpg

Swag. \o/\o/\o/

Obligatory Youtube video.

[video=youtube;JsG6hA9chos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsG6hA9chos[/video]

He looks very elegant indeed - Ledleyesque, dare I say. And that seems to be a high line Ajax were playing there, which fits in with what we think our defence will be doing next season.

I can't remember how long exactly this transfer saga has been rumbling on, but I wonder about AVB's level of involvement. We know for near certain at this stage that AVB has been directing transfer activity since the middle of June. Perhaps even further back than that (which is what I suspect to be honest). But one way or the other, at the very least he green-lit Verts, even if a transfer to Spurs was already being considered before that. Certainly at any point since mid-June AVB would have had the power to veto it. No question whatsoever in my mind about that - if he'd turned to Levy 2 weeks ago and said, sorry, this isn't my guy and I want this other guy, then we wouldn't have completed the transfer, no matter where the Verts negotiations were at.

So I think we can say Siggs and Verts are two AVB players and tell us something about what he's about. And as far as I can tell, these are about as classic "Spurs" players as you can imagine - elegant, passers of the football, forward-looking. And they should fit seamlessly in beside Sandro, Bale, Walker, Kaboul, Lennon and Ade. Good man Andre. This is the kind of carry-on we want.

Last season I thought we used Benny as our default out ball more often than not. Vertoghen looks like he is not afraid to retain possession and run into the grass ahead of him. It's another option to play out from the back.
Looks impressive doesn't he?

I guess it's him and Kaboul as our preferred central pairing.

Back