• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Imagine spending most of your life dedicated to a profession and then realising that perhaps you're no longer at the level required.

The notion that he was trying to gain sympathy is absolutely ridiculous. And I'm not sure what was unprofessional in his reaction.

He has been one of the best CB's i have seen in our shirt and it was sad too see him walk off last night. I do not think he was playing up to the crowd at all more like sad with his own performance.

Having said that i do not think he had played that badly.

Imagine spending most of your life dedicated to a profession and then realising that perhaps you're no longer at the level required.

The notion that he was trying to gain sympathy is absolutely ridiculous. And I'm not sure what was unprofessional in his reaction.

That's what I think people were sensing, most of us have heard ex footballers talk about the day/game where the realized they were just that yard short, that their body was not at the races anymore.

More than a few folks were just wondering if we saw that publicly .. time is a bitch ..

Either way, if the end is now, summer or another year, he's been a servant for the club and has my respect

I don't think that's the point people are making here. Jan's reaction wasn't one of annoyance/frustration at being subbed, but rather one of utter dejection, inwardly focussed, with the possible realisation that his career as a top-notch defender is over.

According to all the sexual colossuses, of course!

Some players age slowly, others fall off a cliff as their body fails. Maybe Jan's experience and class could only compensate so far as he lost his pace. With Jan, Dembele, Kane, Wanyama and Eriksen, I fear that we're seeing the long-term effects of Poch's fitness regime and our lack of squad depth.
This to me seems spot on. He hasn't started regularly recently, gets a start. It's not just that he's taken off, but when that he's taken off while the expensive and now somewhat experienced Sanchez was left on the pitch. A 20 year old that a lot of people in football hadn't heard of two months ago was left on the pitch.

Seemed like a real watershed moment, possibly signaling the end of his career at Spurs. That gave him strong feelings.

I'm not surprised, the supposed ideal of men not having or showing feelings remains strong unfortunately. For me it was impossible not to feel with him and for him.

I remember his performance against Dortmund last year. It was so good. He may be feeling his age but there is a player in there and he is very COYS.

For showing emotion?

Watching on TV it looked like he had just been told devastating family news. I don’t think disappointment is an emotion that carries that far into body language. If Rose had done the same this thread would be different.

I say this as a massive Verts fan, I agree with Parklane, one of the best CBs I’ve seen in our shirt. Up there with King.

I'd play him in midfield next to Lo Celso or Ndombele or even Winks. Elegant player, good passer of the ball, reads the game well, good tackler and header of the ball. Reminds me of Emmanuel Petit. Ticks all the boxes especially if he's not being used in defence anymore.

I'd play him in midfield next to Lo Celso or Ndombele or even Winks. Elegant player, good passer of the ball, reads the game well, good tackler and header of the ball. Reminds me of Emmanuel Petit. Ticks all the boxes especially if he's not being used in defence anymore.
His legs are going so stick him in central midfield?!

Sadly the days of Jan Molby are long gone.

Back