• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Thought he played alright. The three in front were offering nothing and he had Sessengon to his left also doing fudge all.

Oh my. Just seen this now.
As I said on the match thread, he looked broken as he walked off.
Paxton was singing Super Jan but he didn't react at all.
Now I see how he looked sitting on the bench my heart goes out to him. It makes me want to cry seeing him looking so utterly dejected.
It's not how I want to see his time with us finish - he has earned a better ending.

Mourinho on Vertonghen
“It was my decision. It’s normal that he’s said. No player likes to come out. I did that with Dier against Olympiacos. Even worse because it was in the first half. In the second half I had a feeling in the first half that I needed to change to a back four. It was just a question of waiting for the right moment to bring on Dele, because Dele was a big question mark.

“So I had to manage this chess game without pieces. You know. No bishops, no kings, no queens. Very, very hard with so many injuries and problems. No Bergwijn. It was very difficult so I had to wait and I had to change and take a defender. I decided to leave Tanganga and Toby, a bit faster, a bit better to cope with the space. I decided to sacrifice Jan, so sad yes and with a reason to be sad but happy now because he won.”

Football London.

Mourinho on Vertonghen
“It was my decision. It’s normal that he’s said. No player likes to come out. I did that with Dier against Olympiacos. Even worse because it was in the first half. In the second half I had a feeling in the first half that I needed to change to a back four. It was just a question of waiting for the right moment to bring on Dele, because Dele was a big question mark.

“So I had to manage this chess game without pieces. You know. No bishops, no kings, no queens. Very, very hard with so many injuries and problems. No Bergwijn. It was very difficult so I had to wait and I had to change and take a defender. I decided to leave Tanganga and Toby, a bit faster, a bit better to cope with the space. I decided to sacrifice Jan, so sad yes and with a reason to be sad but happy now because he won.”

Football London.

Rubbish, there were quite a few queen's out there last night.

I'm struggling to feel too sorry for him to be honest. He got subbed off. It happens to players the length of the country every week. It was after about an hour. Like Jose says, Dier swallowed the humiliation of being subbed in the first half and dealt with it. Jan should have done the same so he's either being too sensitive or playing to the crowd.

I reckon the reason he was taken off is because he'd been outpaced once too often.
I'm struggling to feel too sorry for him to be honest. He got subbed off. It happens to players the length of the country every week. It was after about an hour. Like Jose says, Dier swallowed the humiliation of being subbed in the first half and dealt with it. Jan should have done the same so he's either being too sensitive or playing to the crowd.
Hardly looked like he was playing to the crowd, he completely ignored their rowsing applause as he left, head down, hand over eyes,deep in reflection. Yes he looked mortified but not by the humiliation so much as by the significance of the moment.

He has been quoted time and again saying how much he wants to stay at Spurs and that he believes he still has more years at the top in him. But that yesterday looked more like his moment of recognition and acceptance that maybe his Tottenham days really are numbered.

He has been a stalwart for what, seven, eight years? Rarely subbed off until recently and never so early in the game, before the hour mark.

Such a moment must come hard. Moment of truth.

I don't think that's the point people are making here. Jan's reaction wasn't one of annoyance/frustration at being subbed, but rather one of utter dejection, inwardly focussed, with the possible realisation that his career as a top-notch defender is over.

According to all the body language experts, of course!

Some players age slowly, others fall off a cliff as their body fails. Maybe Jan's experience and class could only compensate so far as he lost his pace. With Jan, Dembele, Kane, Wanyama and Eriksen, I fear that we're seeing the long-term effects of Poch's fitness regime and our lack of squad depth.

I reckon the reason he was taken off is because he'd been outpaced once too often.

Hardly looked like he was playing to the crowd, he completely ignored their rowsing applause as he left, head down, hand over eyes,deep in reflection. Yes he looked mortified but not by the humiliation so much as by the significance of the moment.

He has been quoted time and again saying how much he wants to stay at Spurs and that he believes he still has more years at the top in him. But that yesterday looked more like his moment of recognition and acceptance that maybe his Tottenham days really are numbered.

He has been a stalwart for what, seven, eight years? Rarely subbed off until recently and never so early in the game, before the hour mark.

Such a moment must come hard. Moment of truth.

It's potentially trying to elicit the sort of sympathy he's getting on here and social media rather than trying to get an instant reaction from the crowd. He's a football player, football players get subbed. Some have been subbed in a much more humiliating fashion than he was last night. For me, and its just an opinion that may be incorrect as I can't read his thoughts any more than anyone else on here, it was an overreaction.

I think he was naturally distraught at the thought that to win the game it had to be without him.
I think most people would feel that. I think it's great. (As long as it isn't linked to anything illness wise of course)

His reaction with the coat when we scored was great. All that frustration coming out as pure joy for the team.
He is human after all.

It's potentially trying to elicit the sort of sympathy he's getting on here and social media rather than trying to get an instant reaction from the crowd. He's a football player, football players get subbed. Some have been subbed in a much more humiliating fashion than he was last night. For me, and its just an opinion that may be incorrect as I can't read his thoughts any more than anyone else on here, it was an overreaction.
Yeah, you could be right but that just doesn't seem to be in character. He doesn't strike me as the type. Certainly don't recall ever seeing any attention-seeking crap from him previously.

Not easy to hide your inner feelings at moments like that.

Yeah, you could be right but that just doesn't seem to be in character. He doesn't strike me as the type. Certainly don't recall ever seeing any attention-seeking crap from him previously.

Not easy to hide your inner feelings at moments like that.

No, nor me to be fair and I never had him down as a prima Donna. Perhaps it wasn't attention seeking but I do think he should have been more professional in his reaction.

That said, easy for me to say from behind a keyboard. I just hope that the people saying how sorry they are for Jan aren't the same people who made fun of Poch for not wanting to sub people for this very reason.

Back