• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I know he played CB at the weekend but he has played at LB on a regular basis before that. I remember reading a articule a year or so back that said he does not really want to play as a LB on a constant basis. ( he plays there for Belgium a lot but that is more to do with them not having any decent FB"s.

Maybe that has something to do with his not signing another contract ??
He didn't sign a new deal when he was still first choice CB for Poch so I don't think that is the reason. I can see that his current playing status may be influencing the right now but he's been happy enough to go into this season with no deal, so the reality is he was happy enough to keep his options open and not commit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

He didn't sign a new deal when he was still first choice CB for Poch so I don't think that is the reason. I can see that his current playing status may be influencing the right now but he's been happy enough to go into this season with no deal, so the reality is he was happy enough to keep his options open and not commit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I understand that and its true, i do not think he was used a lot during the early games ( as far as i can remember?). Since then he has got himself back into the side but as i said i am sure he has said in the past he does not want to be seen as a LB and maybe that is holding him back

I hope he does sign a new deal because i have always thought he was our best defender and although he is not as young anymore he is still class ( imo).

Jan is a bit old. But his body shape is good. Note that Crouchy is 38 and said last week that he only retired because he was being used as an impact sub, he still felt he could play for another year physically and was easily keeping up in training runs etc.

Watching the Southampton game it looked to me as though Vertonghen was going through the motions in the same way that Alderweireld was earlier this season under Pochettino. For Southampton's goal Jan completely gave up running very early on. Had he carried on running back he probably would've been well placed to make a tackle on Ings as he cut back inside.

I would imagine that Vertonghen is currently in self preservation mode. The worst thing that could happen to him right now is an injury. It is appalling that the club have let it get to this stage without securing him on a new contract.

The management of our squad has been absolutely appalling these last 2 or 3 years, we desperately need a Director of Football running this part of the operation instead of Levy.

I know if I was Jan, who has been Mr consistent fir us for a long and says he wants to end up as a coach for us, not getting a contract and looking across the dressing room to Toby, who has been fudging us around and only signed because no else wanted him not sure if I'd be giving it my all tbh.
Don’t know what's going on with the squad any more. A chat with trippier would be very interesting.

I know if I was Jan, who has been Mr consistent fir us for a long and says he wants to end up as a coach for us, not getting a contract and looking across the dressing room to Toby, who has been fudging us around and only signed because no else wanted him not sure if I'd be giving it my all tbh.
Don’t know what's going on with the squad any more. A chat with trippier would be very interesting.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about Trippier’s comments this week. One thing’s for sure - it’ll all come out in the end.

I think Jan been superb player for us over the years, however I am not sure I would offer him a new contract now.

Tend to agree he has been our best defender ( imo) over the years but he has not looked at his best over the last few games. I remember him saying a while ago that he did not want to play LB and i wonder if that feeling has affected him.

In commentary today they said that Jan slid in for the block and his arm was in an "unnatural position" so it was definitely a penalty.

Please note that Lo Celso was right alongside Jan and doing exactly the same sliding blocking motion, and his arm flew up in exactly the same manner.

Strange that, how they would both decide to be unnatural in synchronised unison

In commentary today they said that Jan slid in for the block and his arm was in an "unnatural position" so it was definitely a penalty.

Please note that Lo Celso was right alongside Jan and doing exactly the same sliding blocking motion, and his arm flew up in exactly the same manner.

Said that to my mate
I mean we had a ref who can’t tell the time so anything goes

Verts was struggling so much it was painful to watch. the feeling I got was similar to watching movies where they had to put a good racehorse down due to injuries lol.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He seems to be just that little bit slower in everything he does atm. Stretching a lot more often to take control of the ball etc. He's never been a player that was reliant upon his pace, but I feel like maybe he's going to be best suited to a slower league like Italy now.

Yet when that Watford defender stood upright doing his best scarecrow impersonation, it was perfectly natural. :rolleyes:

Back