• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

The long ball is a feature of our play now. It’s definite direction from the coaching staff. I wonder whether we’re able to play more with it - is it possible to only long ball at the right times?

We did the same in the big games under Poch last season, it's because we don't have a midfield.

I dont have an issue with keeping Vertonghen around at all, he has quality, and if he can refind form he will be a real asset.

Though I think we need to start pushing he and Toby back while bringing some young blood through over the next year or so.

The midfield is a greater concern to me right now.

I'm happy to keep Vertonghen around to cover leftback and Alderweireld. What I don't want to see is him and Alderweireld playing together at CB because they are both too slow now and need a runner.

I dont have an issue with keeping Vertonghen around at all, he has quality, and if he can refind form he will be a real asset.

Though I think we need to start pushing he and Toby back while bringing some young blood through over the next year or so.

The midfield is a greater concern to me right now.

So I agree with the first part of that, however I'm not sure how we'll keep TA and JV around whilst also bringing young blood through. Those two will want to do more than just play in FA Cup and bit part roles - I think you can keep one of htem happy by, for example, partnering with a new CB but dont see how we usefully use both. We also need to prepare for the future.

Midfield - agree its a concern. Its made worse by Dier's repeated absences though illness/viruses and whilst his performances this year have been poor, its difficult to know how much is because of those issues. What I do know though is that the balance of the midfield quarter (Dier, Sissoko, WInks and Ndombele) isnt right as you cant play Dier and Sissoko together. Personally I'd keep Dier around for another year (though would be open to a decent offer for him) and try to replace Sissoko with someone who gives us greater balance and a quartet of CMs who can all play alongside each other

We did the same in the big games under Poch last season, it's because we don't have a midfield.

I know they are the South Coast’s biggest club, but does this now qualify as a big game for us?

I’m jesting slightly, and for what it’s worth, we definitely went more direct under Poch (the Statsbomb air raid article is a good one for this) last season and at times early this. But José has taken it way further - there are other sources not just JV commenting similar to good journos. It’s being talked about around the club.

I know they are the South Coast’s biggest club, but does this now qualify as a big game for us?

I’m jesting slightly, and for what it’s worth, we definitely went more direct under Poch (the Statsbomb air raid article is a good one for this) last season and at times early this. But José has taken it way further - there are other sources not just JV commenting similar to good journos. It’s being talked about around the club.

It was our primary tactic in our big domestic games and the Champions League last season. It is because our midfield cannot pass and we adopted the diamond to cover for deficiencies in the squad. The main difference between Poch and Mourinho has been Alderweireld playing long but he has done that before for us. I am hopeful that if we sign a central midfielder in January, our reliance on this will decrease.

I'm happy to keep Vertonghen around to cover leftback and Alderweireld. What I don't want to see is him and Alderweireld playing together at CB because they are both too slow now and need a runner.

I would suggest that both of them are faster than Foyth

He played CB vs Southampton and was shocking

Yes, and a pair of ageing CBs doesnt feel like the best recipe for success in the PL today. Hence why i think if Ajax did want JV in January then I think we should look to bring in a CB and move on. I dont see that continuing into next season with Toby and Jan makes sense, and given TA is 2-3 years younger and just signed a new deal, I'd use him to him develop Sanchez, Foyth and a new (first choice) CB and then let him leave at the end of his deal

He played CB vs Southampton and was shocking
Neither of the Belgians are the players they once were and now having re-signed the younger Toby I think we have to accept that it is best for Jan to either move on or take a squad place.

Sanchez and one other with Toby covering should be our intention.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Neither of the Belgians are the players they once were and now having re-signed the younger Toby I think we have to accept that it is best for Jan to either move on or take a squad place.

Sanchez and one other with Toby covering should be our intention.

Jan has never been quick but now he is sloooooow it’s hurting him
He was IMO the 2nd best in the league to that long ago

Jan has never been quick but now he is sloooooow it’s hurting him
He was IMO the 2nd best in the league to that long ago
His form he's dropped off a cliff but that does happen to older players at some point.

Sadly I think Toby has likewise. His decision making used to be so solid, now he reacts to everything and fairly often poorly.

His form he's dropped off a cliff but that does happen to older players at some point.

Sadly I think Toby has likewise. His decision making used to be so solid, now he reacts to everything and fairly often poorly.

The game changes constantly and players change too
Both have been excellent servants but are now on the tail end of their careers with us

Watching the Southampton game it looked to me as though Vertonghen was going through the motions in the same way that Alderweireld was earlier this season under Pochettino. For Southampton's goal Jan completely gave up running very early on. Had he carried on running back he probably would've been well placed to make a tackle on Ings as he cut back inside.

I would imagine that Vertonghen is currently in self preservation mode. The worst thing that could happen to him right now is an injury. It is appalling that the club have let it get to this stage without securing him on a new contract.

The management of our squad has been absolutely appalling these last 2 or 3 years, we desperately need a Director of Football running this part of the operation instead of Levy.

Watching the Southampton game it looked to me as though Vertonghen was going through the motions in the same way that Alderweireld was earlier this season under Pochettino. For Southampton's goal Jan completely gave up running very early on. Had he carried on running back he probably would've been well placed to make a tackle on Ings as he cut back inside.

I would imagine that Vertonghen is currently in self preservation mode. The worst thing that could happen to him right now is an injury. It is appalling that the club have let it get to this stage without securing him on a new contract.

The management of our squad has been absolutely appalling these last 2 or 3 years, we desperately need a Director of Football running this part of the operation instead of Levy.

I'm not sure a DoF changes the Levy part of the transfer or contract process. Transfers will always need Levy's approval, he'll always set the budget etc. In our set-up, a DoF more changes the identification part of the process. Whether or not we had a DoF wouldnt have changed the terms which Levy was/is prepared to offer Jan

I'm not sure a DoF changes the Levy part of the transfer or contract process. Transfers will always need Levy's approval, he'll always set the budget etc. In our set-up, a DoF more changes the identification part of the process. Whether or not we had a DoF wouldnt have changed the terms which Levy was/is prepared to offer Jan
If running the model properly a club will give the DoF the budget for transfers and wages and the DoF will then operate reasonably autonomously within those boundaries.

With Vertonghen, the manager either wants to keep the player or not, if not then then player can go on the transfer list, if the manager wants to keep the player then offers can be made. With Jan it seems as though nothing at all has happened.

My guess here is that Levy thinks that our offer to Jan is likely to be the best one anyway so he is happy to drag it out and sign him late on for perhaps less money than it would take if doing a little earlier and while that might indeed save us 10 grand a week for a couple of years it gives us a player not fully committed for several months.

Last edited:
I know he played CB at the weekend but he has played at LB on a regular basis before that. I remember reading a articule a year or so back that said he does not really want to play as a LB on a constant basis. ( he plays there for Belgium a lot but that is more to do with them not having any decent FB"s.

Maybe that has something to do with his not signing another contract ??

Back