• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

IIRC he said that they switched things up, and instead of Sissoko going forwards, he went forwards. Which makes sense because Verts is good in the air and Sissoko is er... better at chasing back.
Though I also saw it said that Wolves pulled everyone back and thus Verts had freedom to go forwards.
MotD also picked out that Traore lumbered back onto the pitch with his sore shoulder, walked directly to the spot where the ball would land, but didn't pick anyone up, he just walked slowly out and left Verts to get the header.
He said: "I asked to go up for corners to add that element of surprise, and I was allowed", so I suppose he asked and Mourinho thought it might be a good idea too.

Interesting that JV’s comments after the game suggest that too many long balls were being played. Dan KP wondering whether this is a subtle dig at Jose or a general comment.

The long ball is a feature of our play now. It’s definite direction from the coaching staff. I wonder whether we’re able to play more with it - is it possible to only long ball at the right times?

I think of the long ball as a "needs must" short term solution. Much like most of Joses work so far given he hasnt had the time to bed his ideas into the players.

There are spells where we gel, and suddenly its one and two touch pass and move and looks great. Get under pressure again/out of shape, and its back to route 1. Looks to me very much like a fall back new manager 101 type thing to me, rather than over arching design.

Jose has had 12 games in 6 weeks. He said up front he really needs a pre season to get into the team, anything between now and then is IMO not really indicative.

He has a week in Jan he said (before Brighton?) where he is planning a mini pre season, hopefully we see some development from there.

I think of the long ball as a "needs must" short term solution. Much like most of Joses work so far given he hasnt had the time to bed his ideas into the players.

There are spells where we gel, and suddenly its one and two touch pass and move and looks great. Get under pressure again/out of shape, and its back to route 1. Looks to me very much like a fall back new manager 101 type thing to me, rather than over arching design.

Jose has had 12 games in 6 weeks. He said up front he really needs a pre season to get into the team, anything between now and then is IMO not really indicative.

He has a week in Jan he said (before Brighton?) where he is planning a mini pre season, hopefully we see some development from there.

After Boro we have two weeks before we play Watford. Forget the Liverpool game. There's absolutely no chance in hell we'll get anything from that. Might as well do a pre season then.

After Boro we have two weeks before we play Watford. Forget the Liverpool game. There's absolutely no chance in hell we'll get anything from that. Might as well do a pre season then.

I dont know the dates, but he said before the Brighton game (I think) that he had an eye on a week in Jan, and possibly a week in Feb to work on the players like a mini-pre season.

I think its desperately needed!

Sunday 5th January Middlesbrough A
Saturday 11th January Liverpool H
** Week away/training? **
Saturday 18th January Watford A
Wednesday 22nd January Norwich City H
Sunday 2nd February Emirates Marketing Project H
Sunday 16th February Aston Villa A
Wednesday 19th February RB Leipzig A
Saturday 22nd February Chelsea A

I dont know the dates, but he said before the Brighton game (I think) that he had an eye on a week in Jan, and possibly a week in Feb to work on the players like a mini-pre season.

I think its desperately needed!

Sunday 5th January Middlesbrough A
Saturday 11th January Liverpool H
Saturday 18th January Watford A
Wednesday 22nd January Norwich City H
Sunday 2nd February Emirates Marketing Project H
Sunday 16th February Aston Villa A
Wednesday 19th February RB Leipzig A
Saturday 22nd February Chelsea A

The second weekend in February is our designated winter break. FA cup 5th round will be a midweek game first week in March.

Reports in Holland have shed light on Ajax's pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur defender Jan Vertonghen.

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf report Ajax did indeed make an approach for the centre-back they sold to Spurs in 2012.

His contract expires in June and he has not yet followed Toby Alderweireld in penning an extension.

His intentions are unclear so far, and he is not giving Ajax any encouragement.

De Telegraaf report Vertonghen's wage demands have put Ajax off at this time, along with Tottenham's desire to recoup the £12 million they paid for him.

Ajax view the overall package as too costly for a 32-year-old who has no re-sale value.

They are reportedly happy to place their trust in 20-year-old Perr Schurrs, for now, until Tottenham reduce their asking price or Vertonghen drops his wage demands.

The report is unclear whether Ajax are willing to consider him on a free transfer in the summer.

Reports in Holland have shed light on Ajax's pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur defender Jan Vertonghen.

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf report Ajax did indeed make an approach for the centre-back they sold to Spurs in 2012.

His contract expires in June and he has not yet followed Toby Alderweireld in penning an extension.

His intentions are unclear so far, and he is not giving Ajax any encouragement.

De Telegraaf report Vertonghen's wage demands have put Ajax off at this time, along with Tottenham's desire to recoup the £12 million they paid for him.

Ajax view the overall package as too costly for a 32-year-old who has no re-sale value.

They are reportedly happy to place their trust in 20-year-old Perr Schurrs, for now, until Tottenham reduce their asking price or Vertonghen drops his wage demands.

The report is unclear whether Ajax are willing to consider him on a free transfer in the summer.

Always liked Vertonghen but I really think we need to turn a new page, so if we could bring in Upemecano or whoever Jose prefers in Jan, then it would be a great signal that we're moving on to a new era

Back