• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Big day for Verts today, with Davies injured... Rose playing poorly... Sessegnon not being considered a left back right now by Mourinho... it was important Verts did his job today.

He had a lot of good moments, 2 or 3 last ditch clearances/challenges... did anyone see problematic areas in his game today?

Left the door open for all the armchair pundits there. I thought his socks weren't at the same level during the game.

If we did look a little suspect in the left at the back it was usually down to Son (who did ok covering) diving in on the rightback who continually turned inside on his left foot and left him for dead, must have happened more than half a dozen times in the first half. That my armchair punditry for today.

If we did look a little suspect in the left at the back it was usually down to Son (who did ok covering) diving in on the rightback who continually turned inside on his left foot and left him for dead, must have happened more than half a dozen times in the first half. That my armchair punditry for today.
Yes noticed that a few times with Son, it’s so telegraphed that he’s totally committed to going in and got done when they cut inside. I’m sure Jose will be aware as it was very notable and happened i think in the previous game.

This
Sonny for all the super attacking prowess and superb work rate needs some lessons on defending

This
Sonny for all the super attacking prowess and superb work rate needs some lessons on defending
Been the case for a long time. He upped his pressing game significantly under Pochettino, but defending in our half is not a strength for him despite his work rate.

Mourinho demands a lot from most of his wide attackers. I think Son has the effort and discipline to improve the defensive side of things on addition to being a tremendous attacking force. Might be some conflicts incoming if our wide midfielders/attackers don't get with the programme defensively.

If Jose persists with the wonky, then Vertonghen is our best option for left back. More solid than Rose and Davies and - if he repeats his Dortmund performance, more than useful on the attack

As I was saying... :p

Great game from Jan, gave us solidity Rose will never provide and not really done for pace... though Wednesday would be a bigger test if he plays.

If it wasn't for the insane freekick given away by Ndombele we would have mustered a clean sheet!

And that last ditch extra time tackle - better than a goal!!

Not his best game for us yesterday but that tackle at the end was so important, he has not played that much this season but ( imo) he should be a starter at LB over Rose.

Love Jan, hope he signs a 1 or 2 year extension. Yesterday's last ditch tackle was superb, pretty sure it would've been ruled out for offside had they scored instead though.

Back