• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

If Jose persists with the wonky, then Vertonghen is our best option for left back. More solid than Rose and Davies and - if he repeats his Dortmund performance, more than useful on the attack

Only if Jan can run. The games he has played this season show a player who runs through treacle.. he cannot okay left back if his legs have gone

If Jose knows one thing, its working with ageing defenders. Just ask the lads at Inter (Or Terry, Carvalho....)

I can see him improving the defence for sure. I dont mind Jan as left of a 3, but am not sure he has the legs to go full-LB.

Only if Jan can run. The games he has played this season show a player who runs through treacle.. he cannot okay left back if his legs have gone

The guy was slicing through the Dortmund defence as recently as nine months ago. You do not just lose your physical abilities in that short period of time...

With Davies out for the foreseeable period, I don't think we have much choice - assuming Jose wants to play the wonky rather than have to FBs bombing down the wings. In addiition, if Vert sits while Aurier attacks he will need to run far less than in the Poch system.

The guy was slicing through the Dortmund defence as recently as nine months ago. You do not just lose your physical abilities in that short period of time...

With Davies out for the foreseeable period, I don't think we have much choice - assuming Jose wants to play the wonky rather than have to FBs bombing down the wings. In addiition, if Vert sits while Aurier attacks he will need to run far less than in the Poch system.

Exactly, Jose's left 3 are actually playing as CB's, only the RB is playing a FB from what we have seen.

So a sitting LB that can release the ball to Son is easily within Jan's capabilities.

I'd have no issue giving both Jan and Toby a 2 year contract provided they understood their role will lessen over that time as we build the next generation

We are essentially playing with one winger and one wing back. The other side has a defensive fullback, but that fullback still has to do fullback things and running back against pacy wingers is one of those. I worry that Jan will struggle. I have a feeling that Jose wants one aggressive CB and one that reads the game, which we have atm with Toby and Sanchez.

We are essentially playing with one winger and one wing back. The other side has a defensive fullback, but that fullback still has to do fullback things and running back against pacy wingers is one of those. I worry that Jan will struggle. I have a feeling that Jose wants one aggressive CB and one that reads the game, which we have atm with Toby and Sanchez.

Aggressive ... and .... Sanchez :D Not exactly two words I would associate with each other!!

Aggressive ... and .... Sanchez :D Not exactly two words I would associate with each other!!
Really? I'd say quite the opposite. The Sanchez I watch frequently gets himself into unnecessary physical battles with his opponent, arms and legs all over the place, when he really needs to concentrate on winning the ball.

Pretty sure we've conceded on more than the odd occasion as a result

With the performances Rose has put in something has to change. Mourinho will have a better idea if he thinks he can get Rose up to speed or not, if he thinks he can and tries I'm all for that. If not I think it would be worth at least trying to play Vertonghen or Sessegnon out there.

Really? I'd say quite the opposite. The Sanchez I watch frequently gets himself into unnecessary physical battles with his opponent, arms and legs all over the place, when he really needs to concentrate on winning the ball.

Pretty sure we've conceded on more than the odd occasion as a result

Of course we have... Aston Villa and last Saturday are just two that spring to mind.

Handbags at six paces is not my definition of being an aggressive centre half. Graham Roberts was an aggressive defender, Vidic was an aggressive defender; you knew that you were going to get a physical battle as soon as you stepped on the pitch. With Sanchez, strikers know that all they need to do is to let him come on and then just turn him; or when he has lost his concentration and is seeing red, just slip off him with a well timed run and he will be left floundering...

Big day for Verts today, with Davies injured... Rose playing poorly... Sessegnon not being considered a left back right now by Mourinho... it was important Verts did his job today.

He had a lot of good moments, 2 or 3 last ditch clearances/challenges... did anyone see problematic areas in his game today?

Big day for Verts today, with Davies injured... Rose playing poorly... Sessegnon not being considered a left back right now by Mourinho... it was important Verts did his job today.

He had a lot of good moments, 2 or 3 last ditch clearances/challenges... did anyone see problematic areas in his game today?

Problems are he’s not getting any younger and he needs to get fit!
Love the guy in a Spurs shirt!

Last edited:

Struggled at times, but I thought it was because of others leaving him isolated.

Until Davies is back I don't see how he can be dropped or moved.

What a bloody tackle. Won us the game. Ledley-esque
It was a beautiful tackle. But which dingdonghead was it that headed it back and put is in that position? With 10 seconds to go, just smash it away, don't be cute.

Hopefully Mourinho is electrocuting the culprit as we speak.

I quite enjoy a bit of electric role play myself.

Meter-reading-service-1500x630.jpg

Danishfurniturelover said:
Hello love, I'm here to read your meter

Great tackle and good game overall. People keep claiming that he's too slow now or whatever. His class is still there and I think he's as close to an automatic starter if fit as we have in our back four.

Back