• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Almost impossible to stop once the ball comes across. Sanchez either has to cut the cross out as it’s coming across or stay closer to (but ball side of) Aguero.
No it's not! You anticipate where the ball will be played and put yourself between it and the striker. That was the view of ex professional defender Gary Neville. Sanchez could have cut out the cross but risked putting it in the back of the net. Toby made it easier for Aguero.

No it's not! You anticipate where the ball will be played and put yourself between it and the striker. That was the view of ex professional defender Gary Neville. Sanchez could have cut out the cross but risked putting it in the back of the net. Toby made it easier for Aguero.

There was a clever little elbow push by Aguero on Toby which halted his momentum and bought Ageuro the time to surge forward while physics prevented Toby immediately following.

Aguero went about 4 years without scoring against us until the CL second leg in April: a sign that our CB mastery very him is waning? (or perhaps our CB mastery in general is waning?)
Or perhaps i'm looking too much into this one incident?

Fact is Vertonghen is the only defender who is completely solid and doesnt make me nervous. would have said the same about Toby until late, but certainly Sanchez and Foyth are far from secure - especially if they dont have Verts/Toby next to them. Im sure Sanchez and Foyth will improve given time, but has to be a little bit of concern considering Toby and Jan's time appears to be nearing completion. With those two out of the picture our strength in such an important area of the pitch doesnt look that great....

Fact is Vertonghen is the only defender who is completely solid and doesnt make me nervous. would have said the same about Toby until late, but certainly Sanchez and Foyth are far from secure - especially if they dont have Verts/Toby next to them. Im sure Sanchez and Foyth will improve given time, but has to be a little bit of concern considering Toby and Jan's time appears to be nearing completion. With those two out of the picture our strength in such an important area of the pitch doesnt look that great....

They're 31 and 33 this season so not a surprise that their time is coming to an end with us. I doubt Poch would want to lose both at the same time though, so I think we'll manage their contract situation so that there's at least a 1 year gap between each leaving allowing us to bed a replacement in

They're 31 and 33 this season so not a surprise that their time is coming to an end with us. I doubt Poch would want to lose both at the same time though, so I think we'll manage their contract situation so that there's at least a 1 year gap between each leaving allowing us to bed a replacement in

Not to bothered about Jan's age as he looks the type of player who could stay at his peak for several years yet, not sure Toby will/can do that though as ( imo) he is not the same player he was a couple of seasons ago.

Not to bothered about Jan's age as he looks the type of player who could stay at his peak for several years yet, not sure Toby will/can do that though as ( imo) he is not the same player he was a couple of seasons ago.

I kind of agree. Though in that case, do you let Toby walk in summer 2020? Doubt he'll accept a 1 year extension.

If you offered him a 2 year extension (to 2022) and dont want to release/lose TA and JV in the same summer then when do you plan for JV to go? Next summer? 2021? He'll be 36 in 2023.

The succession planning and bringing in a couple new faces will be a delicate balancing act for Poch

I kind of agree. Though in that case, do you let Toby walk in summer 2020? Doubt he'll accept a 1 year extension.

If you offered him a 2 year extension (to 2022) and dont want to release/lose TA and JV in the same summer then when do you plan for JV to go? Next summer? 2021? He'll be 36 in 2023.

The succession planning and bringing in a couple new faces will be a delicate balancing act for Poch

I guess that is/will be down to what Poch thinks about the situation, if he is willing to sign a two year extension ( if offered) and Poch is ok with that then why not. I do not think we should worry too much about what happens in a 1 or 2 years time. What matters is now and we have options with Foyth and maybe Tangani ( spelling).

I guess that is/will be down to what Poch thinks about the situation, if he is willing to sign a two year extension ( if offered) and Poch is ok with that then why not. I do not think we should worry too much about what happens in a 1 or 2 years time. What matters is now and we have options with Foyth and maybe Tangani ( spelling).
Tanganga

Jan is a physical specimen, but at some point soon his legs will go and he won't be able to cut it at the top PL/CL level.

Perhaps Jan will become a player / coach / mentor / something at 36.
Like Cheatski with Lamp/Morris/Cech. Ajax with Overmars etc.

I feel we write off players too early once they have gone the wrong side of 30. I remember years back everyone saying no to Gary McAllister, who went to Liverpool and was instrumental for several years. Milner is 33 for crying out loud and plays in a more demanding position.

I bet you Verts will be as effective at 34 as he is today.

Back