• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I’ve not seen any pre or post match interviews and not been following social media for a good few hours. Bloke near me at the game said word was Verts had a blow-out with Poch over his contract. Sounds a bit hearsay and rumour. But something doesn’t add up for him not to be injured but not to be in the bench either.
Verts always sounds so positive about being with us that for him to have enough of an argument to be dropped makes me pretty worried.

Who knows? I have the same fears but I'm hoping it's just a case of something minor happening and Poch showing him who the boss is in a game where we were always going to be able to cope without him.

The paranoia is strong with this one... Maybe just resting in what was perceived as an easier match and making sure not injured before Emirates Marketing Project?

Every other CB at the club. He’s the best CB along with Vertonghen but people will no doubt start to turn on him soon if he doesn’t sign a contract and claim Sanchez and Foyth are the best CB’s at the club. Unless of course Toby and Jan sign contracts which will mean they magically become the best two CB’s at the club again

Oh man, you are in 2016 and I cannot bring myself to tell you how much bricker then next three years get.

Sanchez is quick but still gets caught out and makes mistakes. Toby and jan are still the best CB’s at the club hands down.

I think Jan is the best no doubt, Sanchez has been off form for a while, very disappointed in his handling of their goal today, Toby has good and bad games, nothing between the latter two overall imo, different weaknesses.

I don't know at the moment. I am worried that Alderweireld's legs have gone but hope that it is just a blip in form. I think that Verts has been our best centre back the last two seasons.

It’s only one game. Toby and Jan are and have been the best two centre backs at the club since 2015. Sanchez is decent but didn’t kick on last season. He COULD still turn out to be a world class player, right now I’d say he’s behind Toby and Jan

It’s only one game. Toby and Jan are and have been the best two centre backs at the club since 2015. Sanchez is decent but didn’t kick on last season. He COULD still turn out to be a world class player, right now I’d say he’s behind Toby and Jan

My concerns about Alderweireld's legs goes back further than one game. He might be able to adjust his game to compensate but I don't see him and Verts working as a partnership anymore, if he does, because they are both slow. Next weekend, my preference would be Verts and Sanchez.

My concerns about Alderweireld's legs goes back further than one game. He might be able to adjust his game to compensate but I don't see him and Verts working as a partnership anymore, if he does, because they are both slow. Next weekend, my preference would be Verts and Sanchez.

I’d say Toby’s level has dropped to a degree over the last year or so. He’s still ahead of Sanchez for me who needs to become more consistent.

I’d say Toby’s level has dropped to a degree over the last year or so. He’s still ahead of Sanchez for me who needs to become more consistent.

I think that he probably is still is better than Sanchez but him and Verts are too slow, as a partnership, to cope with City's attack. Especially with a rookie right back.

Don’t understand why we haven’t offered Verts a new contract. He’s no spring chicken, but still seems to be going strong enough physically to play brilliantly at left back, let alone centre back. Plus spurs through and through. And with Toby going soon, it’s totally bizarre to me.

Fingers crossed today was nothing serious.

Don’t understand why we haven’t offered Verts a new contract. He’s no spring chicken, but still seems to be going strong enough physically to play brilliantly at left back, let alone centre back. Plus spurs through and through. And with Toby going soon, it’s totally bizarre to me.

Fingers crossed today was nothing serious.

There's no way of knowing what is going on behind the scenes. We are probably at the one year extension stage of his career though.

When queried, Poch said "I'm going to play the players that deserve to play........I hope that Jan, like other players who didn't play today, they need to work hard "

So maybe Jan was larking around and Poch wants to make it clear to the whole squad that we are not here for fun, we are here to work hard and win

Back