• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

There's no way we would/should have signed another defender in the summer anyway, other than replacing a departing Alder or Rose. If anything we have one too many with 3 senior right backs and KWP not getting the time he needs/deserves.

So basically this injury would have affected us the same whether we'd swapped Alder for De Ligt or not

This isn't a problem so long as Alder and Sanchez stay fit for a bit now. After the WC, 6 weeks with his feet up might be exactly what his body needs for the longer term.
6 weeks? I'll almost bet my house he won't feature until mid January. When the club says December, you can add at least a month to that.

That's a myth. Lots of teams play with only right footed or left footed CB's. Doesn't make any difference. There are positive and negative effects either way.
True. But also true that some right footed centre backs play better as the right sided centre back than as the left sided one.

I think it's a slight issue. Didn't Pochettino switch around Sanchez and Alderweireld at half time recently? Could be other reasons of course, but I think sine centre backs are just so used to one side they play better there.
This isn't a problem so long as Alder and Sanchez stay fit for a bit now. After the WC, 6 weeks with his feet up might be exactly what his body needs for the longer term.
That's a pretty big "so long as". Of course losing your best centre back is a bit of a problem, as it would be for just about any club in the world.

True. But also true that some right footed centre backs play better as the right sided centre back than as the left sided one.

I think it's a slight issue. Didn't Pochettino switch around Sanchez and Alderweireld at half time recently? Could be other reasons of course, but I think sine centre backs are just so used to one side they play better there.That's a pretty big "so long as". Of course losing your best centre back is a bit of a problem, as it would be for just about any club in the world.

It's usually better to match the forward you are most suited to, or best complement the fullback you are next to.

So Sanchez might move the side of the quick forward and Alder go to the side of the more powerful one. Or Sanchez plays right if Trippier is slower FB, or left if it is Davies etc. That's more how it works.

It’s an injury, it happens. It’s why we bought Foyth anyway, to play him.

It is an injury and they do happen. I was not even saying we should have bought another cb this summer at all.

And I'm not all that sure Foyth is currently trusted to play, he's appeared for a total of 0 minutes so far this season? If Sanchez or Alderweireld get injured, I reckon it would be Dier moved back.

Was supposed to be out until the middle of December, but has returned to full training already.

What a huge boost this is.

That is good news.
It's pretty critical that we have him back asap, as the club's news on Sanchez is only that they are "hopeful of a return before the end of the calendar year".
Foyth has looked good but with Cheatski, Inter, Woolwich and Barca all looming, Super Jan's experience will be invaluable.

That is good news.
It's pretty critical that we have him back asap, as the club's news on Sanchez is only that they are "hopeful of a return before the end of the calendar year".
Foyth has looked good but with Cheatski, Inter, Woolwich and Barca all looming, Super Jan's experience will be invaluable.

Have to wonder how fit he is but it’s bloody good news regardless

Back