• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Theres a chance he might start at Fulham. Massive bonus to be back up and running for Everton and the rest of the run-in

T E A M N E W S - MAURICIO WITH GOOD NEWS ON JAN VERTONGHEN

Mauricio Pochettino delivered the positive news on the defender as the team travelled to Belgium today (Wednesday) for our Europa League Round of 32 first leg against KAA Gent on Thursday night (6pm UK).

Jan has been sidelined for a month after picking up an ankle injury against West Brom.

Mauricio reported: “Jan is very well, maybe Friday he’ll start to train with the team and maybe Sunday (Fulham away, FA Cup) he’ll be ready to make the starting 11 or to be on the bench. We’ll see, but we’re very happy.”

Apparently we wouldn't miss him when out injured. Apparently the only reason he even looked good in the first place was because Alderweireld was next to him. Apparently he has a poor body language and attitude.
Well if you remember that was because Wimmer did such a sterling job in his absence last season, would you not agree? This year not only has he been way short of last year's form but Dier who last season was outstanding at DM has been much less so since moving alongside TA at CB.

Meanwhile Vertonghen was performing right at the top of his game before his injury, but if we are being honest he too has in the past had his share of dodgy moments - has he not?

Well if you remember that was because Wimmer did such a sterling job in his absence last season, would you not agree? This year not only has he been way short of last year's form but Dier who last season was outstanding at DM has been much less so since moving alongside TA at CB.

Meanwhile Vertonghen was performing right at the top of his game before his injury, but if we are being honest he too has in the past had his share of dodgy moments - has he not?

To be fair Toby is playing out if position too on the left

That might have been some of the reasons people were jumping to the wrong conclusions about Vertonghen.

He has had a share of dodgy moments. Most of them playing in a team in disarray (AVB and Sherwood). Overall his impact for us continues to be underrated by quite a few imo.

That might have been some of the reasons people were jumping to the wrong conclusions about Vertonghen.

He has had a share of dodgy moments. Most of them playing in a team in disarray (AVB and Sherwood). Overall his impact for us continues to be underrated by quite a few imo.
Good points. I do see where you are coming from.

Apparently we wouldn't miss him when out injured. Apparently the only reason he even looked good in the first place was because Alderweireld was next to him. Apparently he has a poor body language and attitude.

Emirates Marketing Project 2-2
Sunderland 0-0
Middlesbrough 1-0
Liverpool 0-2
Gent 0-1

i think it has been our midfield and attacking play that has suffered in our recent run of matches rather than the defense - i think the loss of Rose has had a greater impact on our performance level tbh

Last edited:

Its like that old saying you never miss something till its no longer there. He is a major player for us and we are weaker without him in the team.

I will put my hands up and say that I always believed he had talent but thought he was not mentally strong enough to lead the back 4 so he needed to play alongside a dominant partner. However, this season he has been outstanding especially in the absence of Alderweireld when at times, he single handedly held the defence together.

All that said the reason his loss has been more noticeable this season Is that while his form has been very consistent the form of Wimmer (outstanding in covering for Jan last season) and Dier have, for some reason, fallen through the floor.

Emirates Marketing Project 2-2
Sunderland 0-0
Middlesbrough 1-0
Liverpool 0-2
Gent 0-1

i think it has been our midfield and attacking play that has suffered in our recent run of matches rather than the defense - i think the loss of Rose has had a greater impact on our performance level tbh

Both City and Liverpool created more than enough to score a lot more. The other 3 are fairly average sides.

Part of what Vertonghen does so well is contributing to our buildup and attacking play. And I think he's our best and bravest player when it comes to playing through pressure from the back. Missing him in this regard has impacted our midfield and attacking play quite a bit.

hmm not so sure about that re the Emirates Marketing Project game - i remember thinking our defense actually played quite well as they restricted City to quite little in regards to clear cut chances, both their goals were down to errors from Lloris remember - they dominated possession and pressed us high and were on top of their game tbf to them.

Liverpool yeah ripped us to shreds and we probably did miss his ability to play out from the back, much more concerning was the way we were set up to let them run in behind so frequently, which was more of a tactical fudge up than it was a personnel problem

3 average sides yeah but you have to take all the games in to account, unless you're basing your opinion solely on the two games mentioned above? two away games against top six opposition in which we have a fairly poor return from over the last three years... Liverpool even tore us a new one at WHL with Vertonghen in the team and we were lucky to come away with a 1-1 draw iirc

hmm not so sure about that re the Emirates Marketing Project game - i remember thinking our defense actually played quite well as they restricted City to quite little in regards to clear cut chances, both their goals were down to errors from Lloris remember - they dominated possession and pressed us high and were on top of their game tbf to them.

Liverpool yeah ripped us to shreds and we probably did miss his ability to play out from the back, much more concerning was the way we were set up to let them run in behind so frequently, which was more of a tactical fudge up than it was a personnel problem

3 average sides yeah but you have to take all the games in to account, unless you're basing your opinion solely on the two games mentioned above? two away games against top six opposition in which we have a fairly poor return from over the last three years... Liverpool even tore us a new one at WHL with Vertonghen in the team and we were lucky to come away with a 1-1 draw iirc
All games into account... Sure, 3 games against average sides where we struggled going forward. I think you're well aware of my views on the shortcomings of our current first choice central midfielders. Vertonghen is one of those that actually manage to compensate somewhat for that. Coincidence? Perhaps...

Liverpool ran in behind us often as a direct result of turnovers after we failed to play through their pressure. The two are most certainly related. And the ability of opponents to press high to such an extent is related to our inability to exploit the space that strategy leaves behind. We saw that again against Genk after City and Liverpool had demonstrated it very clearly already.

We were incredibly lucky to get away from the City game with a draw.

What I feel quite confident about is that if it had been Alderweireld missing and Vertonghen playing next to Dier in our recent run there would be plenty of posters willing to further the conclusions I disagreed with originally. Conclusions that are looking rather silly at this point.

Back