• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

All this talk about Wimmer and his potential is ignoring Ben Davies. Davies is 23, Wimmer is 24. The challenge for Davies which I see is that he's on the short side to be a CB in a back 4, and not attacking enough to be a wing back replacement for Rose. Really he's either a left back in a back 4, or a left sided CB in a back. I think he's as plausible a replacement for Verts if we're playing 3 at teh back as Wimmer

I don't think he's being ignored, quite a few people have said the same, maybe in the west brom match thread though

Verts is 30 before the end of the season. He's probably got 3 years left at the top. If we are lucky those lines will switch in prefect time - Wimmer will become the mainstay and Verts will be the reliable experienced backup.

Backup striker .... sorry to keep on about this.

All this talk about Wimmer and his potential is ignoring Ben Davies. Davies is 23, Wimmer is 24. The challenge for Davies which I see is that he's on the short side to be a CB in a back 4, and not attacking enough to be a wing back replacement for Rose. Really he's either a left back in a back 4, or a left sided CB in a back. I think he's as plausible a replacement for Verts if we're playing 3 at teh back as Wimmer

He might be a decent CB alternative at some point, but has he played as CB in the Premier League at all? I'd much prefer Wimmer there at this point, due to his good string of games last season, and how capable he's looked when he's been playing this season. I really hope we don't let Wimmer go anytime soon, as he looks an excellent talent to me. As GB says over here, I'm hoping he'll take over Vertonghen's place eventually, with Verts being the senior backup to Wimmer.

Still a massive blow to lose Verts now. Anyone heard any news on the injury?

He might be a decent CB alternative at some point, but has he played as CB in the Premier League at all? I'd much prefer Wimmer there at this point, due to his good string of games last season, and how capable he's looked when he's been playing this season. I really hope we don't let Wimmer go anytime soon, as he looks an excellent talent to me. As GB says over here, I'm hoping he'll take over Vertonghen's place eventually, with Verts being the senior backup to Wimmer.

Davies has played there In a back 3 at international level for Wales

It does suit him but I just think wimmer is a better player

+1

Wimmer has a proven track record playing CB in the premier league and is more of a physical presence than Davies.

Davies has played there In a back 3 at international level for Wales

It does suit him but I just think wimmer is a better player

Yeah, I haven't seen him play CB myself, but didn't he get a bit of stick for being slow and not positioning himself well at CB? I'm not sure, I just seem to remember that some people didn't exactly hail his performances as CB last summer.

I think either Davies or Wimmer will do well on the left side of the back three, no problem with either of them.

We will miss Verts but I thought Wimmer's passing in his last game was outstanding. I think this is the difference between our CBs and Emirates Marketing Project's, we take fewer risks, but our transition to our midfield and our FBs is excellent.
I think Davies is not quite as good at this as Wimmer and, of course, as others have said, Wimmer gives us strength defending set plays, which has been our relative weakness.

Yeah, I haven't seen him play CB myself, but didn't he get a bit of stick for being slow and not positioning himself well at CB? I'm not sure, I just seem to remember that some people didn't exactly hail his performances as CB last summer.
I think he'd be more useful as a centre back for us than a full back personally....

Same here, if i remember Davies did play at CB for us a couple of years back in the EL.

To be honest, I can't remember him playing there for us though he probably has. But he has definitely played that position in a back 3 for Wales. I also think being comfortable in the left-back position is important for the left-sided player in the back three. And part of our success with it seems to come from the ability of any of our back 3 coming forward with the ball -- especially true of Vertonghen running with the ball through midfield, something I think Davies can do better than the other backups.

However, if we do pick Wimmer, then we have a more natural centre-half and no size dis-advantage on that side of the defence. And Wimmer can play a bit, even if he is no Vertonghen.

So I don't really mind who we choose, I trust in Poch to get it right.

To be honest, I can't remember him playing there for us though he probably has. But he has definitely played that position in a back 3 for Wales. I also think being comfortable in the left-back position is important for the left-sided player in the back three. And part of our success with it seems to come from the ability of any of our back 3 coming forward with the ball -- especially true of Vertonghen running with the ball through midfield, something I think Davies can do better than the other backups.

However, if we do pick Wimmer, then we have a more natural centre-half and no size dis-advantage on that side of the defence. And Wimmer can play a bit, even if he is no Vertonghen.

Agree with all you say.
Ultimately, Poch will decide if we are going to focus on keeping possession, in which case I would favour Wimmer or defend on the ground and be more adventurous running forward then Davies would edge it.
Physical prowess defensively may not be a big issue in this game as City don't really have aerial strength and prefer to play on the ground with their smaller technical players such as Sterling, Aguero, Silva and De Bruyne.
So preventing delivery into box and matching them for ground speed will be more important.
Therefore, 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

Agree with all you say.
Ultimately, Poch will decide if we are going to focus on keeping possession, in which case I would favour Wimmer or defend on the ground and be more adventurous running forward then Davies would edge it.
Physical prowess defensively may not be a big issue in this game as City don't really have aerial strength and prefer to play on the ground with their smaller technical players such as Sterling, Aguero, Silva and De Bruyne.
So preventing delivery into box and matching them for ground speed will be more important.
Therefore, 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

Yeah, I agree with you, especially the part in bold.

Part of me thinks Davies for City, that was my initial thought. As you say, they don't have many big players to defend against, all on the ground.

But then I also wonder if Poch might make our main focus on being rock solid against them, knowing they are so poor at the back, we are bound to get a few chances even if we aren't that adventurous.

Without a doubt, i think Davies is underated by some and its only because Rose has become such a top player for us that Davies does not play that often. AS you say he has played in the back three for Wales a lot and has never looked out of place.

Jan is going to be a big miss but we have other players who can step in and do a good job.

They wont know much till the swelling starts to decrease I've been told, by someone who did it some years ago!
End of the week I would guess.
Can't scan it properly with all that swelling.

They should be able to scan it by midweek normally.

Back