• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is there ANY player in our squad (including youth ranks) who can be our DCM until January?

Exactly. Go with Sissoko and Ndombele and you have a lot of physicality. That will work
Having to stick NDombele to Sissoko's toes to get the ball out would be wasteful.

I'd put Winks, Dier or Skipp there with Ndombele.

We need to play Dier in a run of games to get him back to playing again ( missed a lot of football over the last year), he is the only one we have in the squad who is good at ( and had played there well) sitting in front of the defense and giving them extra cover.

What two play in front of him Winks, Skipp, Ndom Sissoko can then be rotated if need be.

Think Dier may need a run of games to get back to decent. Although witnessing his performance on Saturday he has a long way to go.

Although he was (maybe he still is) earmarked for RB, I could see Foyth having the qualities to be a DCM...more in a Carrick style. At least his mindset is defensive but as we have seen has a very good (on the floor) passing range and technical skills. Yes he would get caught in possession, but they're all looking vulnerable to that. Plus if he's part of the future it gets him up and running.

I'm talking paired up with someone else in a 4231.

Nobody is parking the bus on us anymore; EVERY team now smells blood and knows a bus could be driven through the middle of our team,towards our goal.

If we don't solve the ability tackle in the cm area and defend long before the opposition get to our penalty area, we are in for a LOOONG winter..
Most will be targeting the right side of our defence after last week’s brickshow against Gnabry and Connolly, which exploited our flawed selection of RBs combined with Alderweireld’s flat footedness.

Hopefully Dier will be able to provide some much needed cover in that channel when he’s shaken off the rust, fingers crossed that’s in time for our visit to Anfield in 3 weeks otherwise I’m going to have to use fantasy football Triple Captain chip to jinx Mane :eek:

Having to stick NDombele to Sissoko's toes to get the ball out would be wasteful.

I'd put Winks, Dier or Skipp there with Ndombele.

Winks and Ndombele would be my preferred partnership in the long-run, however at the moment whilst confidence is low and defence has been looking shaky I think we need all the fight we can get in the team. Its one of the reasons I'd go with Foyth at RB given that, even though he's not a RB, I think he's motivated whereas Aurier is a liability

Winks and Ndombele would be my preferred partnership in the long-run, however at the moment whilst confidence is low and defence has been looking shaky I think we need all the fight we can get in the team. Its one of the reasons I'd go with Foyth at RB given that, even though he's not a RB, I think he's motivated whereas Aurier is a liability
Our attack's not been looking any better.

Playing Sissoko as a pivot is as damaging to our attack as putting Son at left back is to defence.

I fully expect us to be all guns blazing after the international break a la Crystal Palace - a week or so away from the miserable place, time to clear minds and all that.

Dier has to be given another go but we drop Toby for Sanchez and bring Kyle Walker Peters back at right back n rose at left back. Moura widecright Son wise left lamela through the centre ndombele next to dier

Our attack's not been looking any better.

Playing Sissoko as a pivot is as damaging to our attack as putting Son at left back is to defence.
The problem is that our attack looked worse than it has all season against Brighton when Sissoko was out of the midfield and playing at right back.

I think N'Dombele should play further forward. He showed against Bayern how creative his passing is. I'd have him in Eriksen's old role. I think he would be wasted in that more defensive position. I think Winks is might be the best player at present to play in that slightly further forward of the 2 in the 4-2-3-1 (although I expect that player to end up being Lo Celso)....

New RB------Sanchez--------Vertonghen---------Sessegnon
-------------------New CM
----------------------------------Lo Celso
------Son/Moura--------------------Ali-----------------N'Dombele
--------------------------------------Kane

Assuming the two new players are top class then the above is a very strong team.

Before we have a new RB and CM in place or Sessegnon and Lo Celso fit, I think we should still be filling in with players who have a long term future at the club. KWP at right back, Davies at left back, either Sissoko or Dier as that deepest CM and Winks covering the Lo Celso position.

No surprise there really. Dier's ball control and his need for a huge amount of time on the ball make him an obvious player to press. I think we often got away with it in years gone by as not too many teams dared to press us. Teams are now starting to see us as a team they should be trying to beat as opposed to trying to avoid defeat against.

But it doesn't fit your rhetoric of him being the problem with the midfield creativity.
It doesn't if everything else stays exactly the same in a vacuum - is that your read of the Brighton game? My read is that the entire team did fudge all and that we could have had a Modric/Pirlo midfield and we still would have got dingdonged playing the way we did.

I think N'Dombele should play further forward. He showed against Bayern how creative his passing is. I'd have him in Eriksen's old role. I think he would be wasted in that more defensive position. I think Winks is might be the best player at present to play in that slightly further forward of the 2 in the 4-2-3-1 (although I expect that player to end up being Lo Celso)....

Assuming the two new players are top class then the above is a very strong team.

Before we have a new RB and CM in place or Sessegnon and Lo Celso fit, I think we should still be filling in with players who have a long term future at the club. KWP at right back, Davies at left back, either Sissoko or Dier as that deepest CM and Winks covering the Lo Celso position.
We have very little in the way of players with high deep progression numbers. N'Dombele fits that bill very well - probably in a way no other of our players can.

His ability to break the press will be invaluable deeper on the pitch. Whilst he's that good that we will still get plenty from him further up, he wouldn't be performing the role we lack the most.

NDombele is still settling, so playing him more advanced might help with that, but ultimately he is a CM, and as far as I know did credible work defensively at Lyon. I believe he will have more impact from CM when he is up to speed.

Considering when we are on form we basically dominate the ball and territory, Im happy with the idea of a Winks/NDombele pivot in a 4231. An explicit DM is somewhat redundant, really. Providing those players are able to get into position and cover, I think its fine.

New RB------Sanchez--------Vertonghen----Sessegnon
-----------------NDombele------Winks
---------------------------Lo Celso
-----Moura----------------------------------Son
---------------------------Kane

Thats a hard working, tenacious midfield - which given the numbers should be good defensively. Also all three players are press resistant, able to dribble/pass/create...

Obviously Alli, Lamela, Sissoko, Skipp etc to add a different flavour in the event its tactically sensible.

But it doesn't fit your rhetoric of him being the problem with the midfield creativity.

Really not the game to prove anything, when the players just didnt show up, is it?

Read earlier, Brighton apparently out ran us by nearly 7km. No matter the formation, personel, any of it - if you are fundamentally outworked like that there is a greater issue at hand...

NDombele is still settling, so playing him more advanced might help with that, but ultimately he is a CM, and as far as I know did credible work defensively at Lyon. I believe he will have more impact from CM when he is up to speed.

Considering when we are on form we basically dominate the ball and territory, Im happy with the idea of a Winks/NDombele pivot in a 4231. An explicit DM is somewhat redundant, really. Providing those players are able to get into position and cover, I think its fine.

New RB------Sanchez--------Vertonghen----Sessegnon
-----------------NDombele------Winks
---------------------------Lo Celso
-----Moura----------------------------------Son
---------------------------Kane

Thats a hard working, tenacious midfield - which given the numbers should be good defensively. Also all three players are press resistant, able to dribble/pass/create...

Obviously Alli, Lamela, Sissoko, Skipp etc to add a different flavour in the event its tactically sensible.
That's the beauty of the Lo Celso deal, he's been equally good as one of the deeper or higher up midfielders.

I think longer term we might see your line up but with Lo Celso in with NDombele and Dele in the three behind Kane. Lamela/Moura based on preference. That gives us Winks/Dier as rotation in for the two and with Lo Celso deputising for any of the three in front, they should see plenty of game time.

Back