• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is the club going through a bit of a 'perfect storm' at the moment?

I think some fans are just happy when results are going well so just keep to their life. But want reassurance/to vent frustration when things are not as they like.

For all those who call out "we've been through a lot worse", my problem with this is that, sure, we as fans have def been through worse. But have the current crop of players and Poch??

The past three seasons have all been merry and, bar one or two iffy results here or there, largely very successful seasons. We've gone an entire season unbeaten at home, turned over some long standing hoodoos, become considered title contenders by the media and regularly competed at Europe's top table.
The vast majority of the squad have become accustomed to this, and yet now when the going has got tough, the old adage of "who at spurs will roll their sleeves up and grab the team by the scruff" is back to haunt us. Nobody looks like a leader out there right now. They all look frightened of making a mistake. Poch is beginning to show signs of cracking with the pressure and is making some questionable outburst and substitutions.

So yes, whilst i agree with the original poster that there have been many factors around the club going wrong at the moment, I still fail to see how that translates to 11 men barely being able to pass a ball properly when they step out on the pitch.

Leaders needed. And quick. Someone in that squad needs to raise their hand and show some balls!!

I also don't think you can underestimate the effect of the long summer of football has had for the majority of our key players. I know you can say the same for other clubs but we have had so many players literally playing continually with little break and only coming back 5 days before the season started. There's just too many players off the pace!

I think Poch has alluded it to it being a major factor without publicly stating it! We look shattered, I feel for players like Dier getting stick, he's been fantastic for us but atm he looks at least 20% off mentally and physically. Unfortunately that goes for most of them!

I also don't think you can underestimate the effect of the long summer of football has had for the majority of our key players. I know you can say the same for other clubs but we have had so many players literally playing continually with little break and only coming back 5 days before the season started. There's just too many players off the pace!

I think Poch has alluded it to it being a major factor without publicly stating it! We look shattered, I feel for players like Dier getting stick, he's been fantastic for us but atm he looks at least 20% off mentally and physically. Unfortunately that goes for most of them!
Yep, makes sense. Suppose it's called burn-out.

My own suspicion is it's even more mental than physical. For three seasons we've been striving mightily to finish top four plus win a trophy into the bargain. We've been achieving the first objective reasonably comfortably but that hasn't spiked the pressure to win silverware. In fact it's done the opposite and racked it up.

Getting reasonably close each time only to end up empty-handed must begin to feel like a thankless task. The longer it goes on the more insurmountable the challenge must seem next time round, and that in turn erodes your willingness to put yourself through it all once again.

The constant media pressure and all the expectation thrust upon the squad must also take its toll.

Hopefully this is all complete and utter rubbish and the team will quickly recover from the current slump.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Honestly, it's going to take more than three consecutive 2-1 defeats (one against Liverpool and one away in Europe) for me to begin to be majorly concerned. Failure to beat Brighton will be more of a warning sign.
I appreciate the manner of play overall and from many players has been somewhat turgid but it still seems too much of a snap reaction to be stressed about it.

Things are exacerbated by Chelsea and Liverpool's encouraging starts alongside Emirates Marketing Project's continual imposing presence. Comparisons are much less favourable now than they were a year ago.

A huge positive for me during this 'tough' period is being able to easily identify and block the absolute cretin fans we have who seem to revel in seeing us struggle.

They've been waiting for this moment since Poch took charge and the knives are being sharpened every day that we don't win.. Right now they're already drafting up their hyperbolic, entitled posts in anticipation of a loss against Brighton.

It's three fudging games mind you, I've seen far tougher runs than this, just the number of clamish fans seems to have multiplied exponentially.

The winner.

Honestly, it's going to take more than three consecutive 2-1 defeats (one against Liverpool and one away in Europe) for me to begin to be majorly concerned. Failure to beat Brighton will be more of a warning sign.
I appreciate the manner of play overall and from many players has been somewhat turgid but it still seems too much of a snap reaction to be stressed about it.

Things are exacerbated by Chelsea and Liverpool's encouraging starts alongside Emirates Marketing Project's continual imposing presence. Comparisons are much less favourable now than they were a year ago.

We drew there last year didn’t we... and the pitch was awful so I have a lower expectation. They also fight as a team

What I will say is this is our second best start under Poch but that’s not news that people wanna highlight

I actually wish I could hit a "love" button for this post. Yes yes "happy clapper" blah blah, but even the most miserable of bastards would agree there is something a bit much about some of the utter tripe being thrown around the internet (most of it not here to be clear)...

I am curious where this is, which sites you have seen where this turmoil is unfolding.
I steer clear of Twitter and am not a member of other Spurs sites. The only negative I am specifically aware of is the clown Hotspur who I sometimes look at out of morbid curiosity as it makes me feel better about myself.

My take, for what it’s worth:

• For 3 years Poch has been pushing this squad hard, and getting the max out of them
  • This has led to unprecedented success but also the constant sense of being nearly men, which has led to pressure to take final step and win trophy (esp. a major one, given Poch’s downgrading of domestic cups) - with the sense that if we don’t, we’ll have missed our window and this group will disperse
  • We needed some catalyst to help us take this final step this season. It could have been new signings and/or the new stadium, but neither have materialised
  • And to make things worse we seem to have a number of players jaded from particularly relentless playing time at WC and/or last few seasons, and some players who maybe didn’t want to be here at all
  • This has led to the players feeling stale and lacking belief, energy and/or motivation
  • Maybe not helped by Poch being so publicly critical after Man U win (though maybe he was trying to manufacture the required catalyst for taking the final step), and being so dogmatically insistent on passing out from the back (seemingly at the cost of our pressing game)
Of course it’s only been 6 matches, and we should have course (and probably will) turn things around. But it’s so competitive at the top that even this short poor run puts us at a massive disadvantage (especially when we have no prior experience of winning trophies to fall back on), and I think with all of the factors above these early results have just put a massive downer on the club that is felt by fans, media and players alike.

Let’s hope Poch and the players can turn it around - top 4, qualify from CL group and win a domestic cup would still be a great season in my view!

Last edited:
I’ve stayed out of the meltdown thread as I really don’t think this is anything more than a bad spell. Yes we had never lost 3 games in a row under Poch until last night but that run had to end eventually. I fully expect us to bounce back Saturday. If we don’t I will be concerned.

However, I don’t see why posters (not you) feel they have to berate others for not being Uber positive all the time and not swallowing everything the club feeds to us as true. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but why dig out fans just because they don’t agree with you and don’t think we’re gonna win every competition we enter?

I don’t agree with the guy a lot but I actually think Brain of Levy is one of the best posters on this board. He passionately believes in the work Levy has done but never puts down posters who don’t agree with him. He backs up his stance with articulate, well thought out arguments and never feels the need to insult people.

I criticized aspects of the last two losses, clearly in fact, and am a little concerned. What I won’t do is tolerate insane knee jerking.

And here’s an interesting twist. Why should we not be able to respond with equal fervor to over-negative posts? This is Trumpland all over again, where an aggressively-stated negative opinion gets launched, it receives a response which is in turn fervent, yet it is the response which ends up scrutinized because “everyone is entitled to their opinion” etc.
Which, incidentally, I agree with.
But MY heat of the moment reaction to someone saying Mauricio Pochettino should be sacked/will be sacked is a giant “fudge you.”

Generally speaking I lament the inability to temper disappointment and criticism from impatience and knee-jerking madness. That’s all.

Good post as it opens up a needed discussion IMO.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We will bounce back, we are too talented not to.

But let’s not take it all too serious, everyone on this forum loves spurs.

Let’s not forget that fine margins make a heck of a difference, too. The BBC is currently waxing lyrical about Liverpool (“Liverpool hammer home their warning to Europe”). Liverpool were a poor penalty decision from (probably) throwing away a two goal lead at Wembley on Saturday and a last ditch tackle (in injury time) from throwing away a two goal lead to go 2-3 down last night. Both those fine margins went their way and now they are world beaters. Apparently. As for us, we were a poor penalty decision away from (probably) overturning a two goal deficit on Saturday and one shot that usually misses away from (probably) winning last night. I think there are things wrong with the squad at the moment, but I also think that things really aren’t that bad. Let’s see what happens when we get a few things going our way at key moments.

Let’s not forget that fine margins make a heck of a difference, too. The BBC is currently waxing lyrical about Liverpool (“Liverpool hammer home their warning to Europe”). Liverpool were a poor penalty decision from (probably) throwing away a two goal lead at Wembley on Saturday and a last ditch tackle (in injury time) from throwing away a two goal lead to go 2-3 down last night. Both those fine margins went their way and now they are world beaters. Apparently. As for us, we were a poor penalty decision away from (probably) overturning a two goal deficit on Saturday and one shot that usually misses away from (probably) winning last night. I think there are things wrong with the squad at the moment, but I also think that things really aren’t that bad. Let’s see what happens when we get a few things going our way at key moments.

But but but Pool have signed winners
Pool have improved immensely and klopp is a tactical genius
Pool have just beaten one if the best teams in the world

Or Pool have spent big in areas of weakness but have have only brought in eokayer who has one anything - let’s EE how that pans out as I do t see then having leaders
Pool last season were smashing teams.. their nicking results now despite being very dominant . Possibly a good sign or one that they should really be a lot more comfortable
PSG were as limp as possibly last night and gave Pool all the room in the world. Really they should have smashed them as they had the opportunity to do so

But that’s enough about them....

We in the last two league games havent even good enough but I’d argue that Watford was as much a freak result as Pool was a freak performance. Watford scored their goals with their only real chances pretty much and yet again they were set play headers. That’s something for a Poch to fix quick as I remember this happening early in us tenure too

We have to stop making unforced basic errors. If a team is better than us then so be it but don’t give anyone a head start

Our next fixtures:

Brighton - AWAY
Watford - Home but really AWAY
Huddersfield - AWAY
Barca - Home
Cardiff - Home
*Insert International break*

3 wins next leading in to a natural motivator in Barca should see us get back on track. It's brick, and we all knew that as soon as we lost a game the transfer/stadium issues would come back, but we knew about those when we beat United 3-0 away too.

It does feel a bit off though, haven't seen is give leads away like this since Sherwood!

Ok not knee jerk but if we go by current form, Brighton away we lose (they are great at home) Watford in the cup we lose (second string not up for it) Huddersfield we should get at least a point if not a win (they are brick) but Barca hammer us. How many will be concerned then?

Ok not knee jerk but if we go by current form, Brighton away we lose (they are great at home) Watford in the cup we lose (second string not up for it) Huddersfield we should get at least a point if not a win (they are brick) but Barca hammer us. How many will be concerned then?
There's a name for your condition. You've got SRFS.

(Serious Relegation Fears syndrome)

Or we beat Brighton, Watford and Huddersfield, then draw or win against Barca.. What will you have to moan about then?

If that happens I suspect a number of people will be concerned, but that is four games away and the results hypothetical. That is a poor reason to be concerned now.

I might as well say we have lost three games in a row and this losing run will continue for the rest of the season. Relegation makes us unable to pay for the stadium and the club files for bankruptcy and is liquidated, with Chelsea picking up the stadium for peanuts. How many will be concerned then?

All of us I would say (except Steff).

We're five matches into a tournament we realistically won't win this season, yet we're still on track to get top four.

We're one match into another tournament (out of a minimum 6) which we realistically won't win either.

We still haven't played a single match in the two tournaments we have the biggest chance of winning this season.

Nothing to be worried about yet, I'd say. Very, very early days. We always have a slump in the fall, people moan, get scared, brick gets thrown around, and then we pull ourselves together, start to win, and it's all rosy again. I think we're too good of a team for that not to happen again.

Back