• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

to balance that out, water damage won't be fixed under warranty on htc either, funnily enough. there's a red indicator on the back of the phone that turns red (void) if it's water damaged. mind you, provided it's just plain normal water (not sea water or drinks etc), in most cases, a good dryout in an airing cupboard will sort it out, just might take awhile.

i think i'd be quite happy to not have my phone for a week in some cases :D i know what you mean though, but i always keep hold of my "last" phone which i can use as a backup if i need it.

Why pay more than it's worth when you can get a cheaper phone that does more?

Please answer my question. I had this argument already with a few people last night and one even admitted that he only buys iPhones because they're made by Apple, and he admitted it's because of people like him that will buy Apple products no matter what their costs are that allow Apple to keep charging ridiculously expensive prices for their products.

You silly 'fan boys' are the reason the iPhone is a rip-off.

Why pay more than it's worth when you can get a cheaper phone that does more?

Please answer my question. I had this argument already with a few people last night and one even admitted that he only buys iPhones because they're made by Apple, and he admitted it's because of people like him that will buy Apple products no matter what their costs are that allow Apple to keep charging ridiculously expensive prices for their products.

You silly 'fan boys' are the reason the iPhone is a rip-off.

Such a dumb argument. How do you know an Android device would 'do more' for me? How do you even measure it? If you actually read posts in here, I explained just a few of the reasons I use an iPhone. One is because my whole family uses them - we all use Macs and so everyone can sync up all their data and it means that I can FaceTime / Skype and iMessage them for free wherever I am in the world. That's a pretty big deal to me. Now BBM, Android etc may be able to do that, but we use iPhones.

Can I please ask, why do you care what I use? How does it affect you? If anything, you should thank me for being a 'fan boy' as it will keep the price of your precious little device down.

This dingdong measuring contest that is mobile phones now is just stupid. As pointed out a page or two ago, it's a bit like the old Windows v Mac, PS3 v Xbox arguments. It's a very good thing we all have choice and we can make decisions to best suit our own lives.

It is the same at every Apple store around the world. I used to work at one in Sydney. You make an appointment for a damaged iPhone and in most cases you'll walk away with a replacement (if it is actually faulty).

If you dropped it, got water on it or damaged it some other way, then of course you'll have to pay (or if it's faulty outside the warranty period).

I don't know any other store that you can walk into a year after you bought the product and have it replaced on the spot. That is partly why Apple Stores have been so absurdly successful.

Yes, of course, this is the same with all phone companies, at least the big ones I've worked with (Blackberry, SonyEricsson, Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG and iPhone), but as fudgesocks pointed out, you said you'd get a new whether it was your fault or not, which isn't true.

So, to prove my point further, I'll tell you how my working experience with Apple is. I used to work for a company that repaired iPhones, and most other phones out there, but I was working more or less exclusively with iPhones. If a customer sent a phone to us where he said that there's a crack in the back cover, he would have to pay for a whole new phone, even if it was just the back cover that was slightly damaged, that would cost him about £200. Now say he has a Samsung S2 with the same problem, he ships it in, we change the back cover and he pays maybe £60. That's ~4 times the cost, and it was extremely challenging to justify when the customer disagreed.

I know that this has changed now, but it was difficult to defend Apple when having discussions with stores and customers, we were only supposed to follow the guidelines we've been given by Apple.

Yes, of course, this is the same with all phone companies, at least the big ones I've worked with (Blackberry, SonyEricsson, Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG and iPhone), but as fudgesocks pointed out, you said you'd get a new whether it was your fault or not, which isn't true.

So, to prove my point further, I'll tell you how my working experience with Apple is. I used to work for a company that repaired iPhones, and most other phones out there, but I was working more or less exclusively with iPhones. If a customer sent a phone to us where he said that there's a crack in the back cover, he would have to pay for a whole new phone, even if it was just the back cover that was slightly damaged, that would cost him about £200. Now say he has a Samsung S2 with the same problem, he ships it in, we change the back cover and he pays maybe £60. That's ~4 times the cost, and it was extremely challenging to justify when the customer disagreed.

I know that this has changed now, but it was difficult to defend Apple when having discussions with stores and customers, we were only supposed to follow the guidelines we've been given by Apple.

You DO get a new phone whether it's your fault or not. You just have to pay for it if it is your fault - that hardly sounds unreasonable?

I have no experiencing dealing with Apple as a service provider so I can't comment on that. I'm just talking about the customer facing stores, where they look after you very, very well. You can disagree with me all you like, but walk into an Apple Store and tell me how many people are in there. I think that speaks for itself.

You DO get a new phone whether it's your fault or not. You just have to pay for it if it is your fault - that hardly sounds unreasonable?

I have no experiencing dealing with Apple as a service provider so I can't comment on that. I'm just talking about the customer facing stores, where they look after you very, very well. You can disagree with me all you like, but walk into an Apple Store and tell me how many people are in there. I think that speaks for itself.

Okay, fair enough, I assumed you meant for free.

I hope they're not all in the store to get their phones repaired/exchanged. ;)
I'm sure people that works in Apple Stores are nice people, I haven't been in many and talked to them, I can only talk about my experience. But if you think it was resonable to have to pay for a new phone when all you wanted was to change the back cover then I will disagree with you all year long.

It's ironic that the people who call Apple users sheep, are just following the same flock who slag off Apple. It's now fashionable to slate Apple, which now makes you sheep.

Very defensive arguments, as expected, and this is why I love arguing why the iPhone isn't worth it. If the iPhone was worth its price I'd buy it. There's honestly no argument against mine as this isn't a matter of opinion, this is a sheer matter of fact. You can't argue the iPhone is better than all other phones on the market, and if you want to buy it then sure go ahead. I do not understand why you would want to spend more money on a less capable phone, but as it has been pointed out, you are free to make your own decisions and everyone else will have to respect that.

If you don't like the term 'fan-boyism', which admittedly is a geek term, I will use the phrase bum-licking. I know a few people who will only consider Apple products, will never consider the competition and will pay whatever it costs. Thankfully I am not one myself, and I will not just buy a product because of who makes it. I will consider how good it is, then consider if it's worth that pricetag before finally coughing up.

I'm not due for an upgrade for 9 months, which may be a good thing as the competition by then should be great, and I can't wait to be able to unlock my phone by smiling at it, whilst it tracks my eye movements to see if the screen needs dimming and I can talk to S voice which is better than Siri.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, I'm not angry you're buying an iPhone, I'm just giving my opinion on why it isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Very defensive arguments, as expected, and this is why I love arguing why the iPhone isn't worth it. If the iPhone was worth its price I'd buy it. There's honestly no argument against mine as this isn't a matter of opinion, this is a sheer matter of fact. You can't argue the iPhone is better than all other phones on the market, and if you want to buy it then sure go ahead. I do not understand why you would want to spend more money on a less capable phone, but as it has been pointed out, you are free to make your own decisions and everyone else will have to respect that.

If you don't like the term 'fan-boyism', which admittedly is a geek term, I will use the phrase bum-licking. I know a few people who will only consider Apple products, will never consider the competition and will pay whatever it costs. Thankfully I am not one myself, and I will not just buy a product because of who makes it. I will consider how good it is, then consider if it's worth that pricetag before finally coughing up.

I'm not due for an upgrade for 9 months, which may be a good thing as the competition by then should be great, and I can't wait to be able to unlock my phone by smiling at it, whilst it tracks my eye movements to see if the screen needs dimming and I can talk to S voice which is better than Siri.

Lol you're clearly on the wind up now. How old are you? 11? 12?

Lol you're clearly on the wind up now. How old are you? 11? 12?

I don't understand your argument. You just buy Apple products because they're made by Apple. They may "suit your needs" or do what you want to do with them or whatever, but my argument is save yourself a fiver a month, and get a better phone which will also "suit your needs".

I don't understand your argument. You just buy Apple products because they're made by Apple. They may "suit your needs" or do what you want to do with them or whatever, but my argument is save yourself a fiver a month, and get a better phone which will also "suit your needs".

Ok mate. Thanks, I've finally seen the light! I'm off to the Samsung store grab an S3 now. Where would I be without you trying to save me a fiver?

Ok mate. Thanks, I've finally seen the light! I'm off to the Samsung store grab an S3 now. Where would I be without you trying to save me a fiver?

Whilst you do that I'll quickly run to the Apple store and spend a grand on a Macbook Pro that has the exact same hardware as a £500 laptop. Genius, eh?

Back to the phones please, pc vs mac is a whole other discussion. and I can end it with the universal answer: It's down to personal preference.
I do wonder if they have the same repair policy on MacBooks, that would suck ass. Paying for a brand new computer when you only lost the space button.

Back to the phones please, pc vs mac is a whole other discussion. and I can end it with the universal answer: It's down to personal preference.
I do wonder if they have the same repair policy on MacBooks, that would suck ass. Paying for a brand new computer when you only lost the space button.

My only and final answer to the PC vs Mac argument is you have to consider whether the £500 premium for Mac software is worth it, which depends on preference, needs and budget, otherwise I've given my full opinion on the iPhone. I was using the Mac as another example of Apple's prices.

My only and final answer to the PC vs Mac argument is you have to consider whether the £500 premium for Mac software is worth it, which depends on preference, needs and budget, otherwise I've given my full opinion on the iPhone. I was using the Mac as another example of Apple's prices.

Well, imo, the pricing for, let's say a MacBook, isn't that far of a similar laptop, at least not here in Norway. No way close to double the prize as you say, but that may be different other places. But as an example of Apple's prices it may be the best (except for the blatant overpricing of accessories), because high-end phones without a service provider are expensive whatever way you look at it, no matter producer. Not much difference in price if I check an iPhone 4S vs an Galaxy S III.

Back