• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

Nothing wrong with sticking with a brand if you believe that they consistently make good products. No different to somebody who would always buy a Sony tv for example (I prefer Samsung but each to their own) because you know that Sony are a good brand, even if they make expensive products.

That's been the great thing about the internet though. It can also be a double-edged sword since there's a lot of trash on the internet too, but before every big purchase, I will try to do some research on a product, looking at all the USEFUL specs and reading reviews from sites I trust. It's a time-consuming process to say the least, but I prefer to buy a product once and actually use it for more than a couple of years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with fanboy-ism, but many people are devoted followers bar nothing, seemingly more devoted to brands than nations. So much of our consumerist culture eschews deep analysis and questioning. For example, with the advent of consumer digital cameras 15-ish years ago, most companies obfuscated most of the specs of their cameras except megapixels, thus creating an arms race to see which manufacturer could produce the camera with the highest megapixels (also similar, late 90s race of MHz to see who could reach 1ghz first).

You're just like the tossers who used to come into the Apple store to complain about Apple. It's an Apple thread! Go to the Samsung one to complain, I really couldn't give two bricks if you think I'm a sheep. I can't use a Samsung phone to watch stuff on my Apple TV or use it with iTunes in the cloud. An iPhone makes the most sense for me. If it doesn't for you, awesome! Good stuff...it's great we have choice in the world. But for the sake of those of us who do like and use Apple products...just give it a fudging rest.

I agree that spursman didn't really add anything constructive here. For someone like me who's due for an upgrade (have the original motorola droid and the thing's a clunker), can we have a more objective comparison between the top-end phones? What's the phone that's supposed to be most comparable to the iphone 5? Is it the galaxy 3?

Or do I need to go start another thread...

That's been the great thing about the internet though. It can also be a double-edged sword since there's a lot of trash on the internet too, but before every big purchase, I will try to do some research on a product, looking at all the USEFUL specs and reading reviews from sites I trust. It's a time-consuming process to say the least, but I prefer to buy a product once and actually use it for more than a couple of years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with fanboy-ism, but many people are devoted followers bar nothing, seemingly more devoted to brands than nations. So much of our consumerist culture eschews deep analysis and questioning. For example, with the advent of consumer digital cameras 15-ish years ago, most companies obfuscated most of the specs of their cameras except megapixels, thus creating an arms race to see which manufacturer could produce the camera with the highest megapixels (also similar, late 90s race of MHz to see who could reach 1ghz first).

I definitely agree. Most people who use an Android device will go on about how much better the camera is, the processor etc. that's all well and good but it's not the be all and end all. An an iPhone works exactly how I want it to bar a few things and is a good fit for my lifestyle. I love that I can keep in touch with my family based in Australia, US and London for free because they have iPhones. That is far more important to me than a device with a 10megapixel camera.

Of course, iMessage was just a copy of BlackBerry Messenger so doesn't count...

In terms of UX and overall quality I've yet to see a non-Apple phone that matches up even to the 2007 2G model. That's why people buy Apple, they make stunningly good quality products.

In terms of UX and overall quality I've yet to see a non-Apple phone that matches up even to the 2007 2G model. That's why people buy Apple, they make stunningly good quality products.

Notsureifserious?

:lol:

Once again mate, it's a matter of taste/choice.

I've seen dozens of cracked iphone screens. hardly seen any HTC or Samsungs.

Completely agree Crawley. iPhone equals broken screen and a hefty repair bill. My Sony I've bounced off of walls and it still works fine plus it's half the size! Until the make the screen out of something other than Darren anderton's leg bones then I'm not touching them.

Notsureifserious?

:lol:

Once again mate, it's a matter of taste/choice.

I've seen dozens of cracked iphone screens. hardly seen any HTC or Samsungs.

I'm sorry Crawley, but that really is scraping the barrel. I have seen plenty of cracked screens from just about every phone manufacturer on the planet, including the great HTC and Samsung, so to single out Apple is not right. ALL PHONES smash if you drop them from a certain height or if you hit them hard enough or whatever. HTC and Samsung apparently make indestructible phones :lol:

Last edited:
I'm sorry Crawley, but that really is scraping the barrel. I have seen plenty of cracked screens from just about every phone manufacturer on the planet, including the great HTC and Samsung, so to single out Apple is not right. ALL PHONES smash if you drop them from a certain height or if you hit them hard enough or whatever. HTC and Samsung apparently make indestructible phones :lol:

Honestly......I was being serious. :lol:

I watched in amazement at work last year as a young lad got his 1 day old iphone out, while he was sat in a very low comfy chair, and dropped it from no more than 2 feet......and......CRACK!!!!!
Have yet to see a cracked HTC.............even my clumsy, dis-respectful 12 year old has now had 2 and still hasn't broken one

(damn, I've said it now!!!!)

I have friends that are on their 3rd replacement iPhone

Same can not be said about other brands

I assume the cutting edge design is just difficult to make robust

I have an iPhone 4 and have been due an upgrade for six months. Waited to see what iPhone 5 would be like, and it's the first phone I'll consider purely because it'll be a palaver to un-Apple all my data/contacts/apps/music etc. if I switch brands.

I definitely agree. Most people who use an Android device will go on about how much better the camera is, the processor etc. that's all well and good but it's not the be all and end all. An an iPhone works exactly how I want it to bar a few things and is a good fit for my lifestyle. I love that I can keep in touch with my family based in Australia, US and London for free because they have iPhones. That is far more important to me than a device with a 10megapixel camera.

Of course, iMessage was just a copy of BlackBerry Messenger so doesn't count...

There are plenty of products that offer the same, and they can be used on both iOS and Android, Skype is a good example. And the iCloud? I have over 25GB space for free on Dropbox, enough for all my important documents and some pictures. That's five times the free space. Not trying to be a dingdong here, just saying.

I have friends that are on their 3rd replacement iPhone

Same can not be said about other brands

I assume the cutting edge design is just difficult to make robust

You are just making this up right ? you have no proof ?

I can find out for sure, my mate who I have previously worked with can run a report on that and find the exact figures for the company he works for (he works on the tmob side of EE). Fairly sure its not iphone in terms of %. As far as smart phones go HTC were very poor at one stage, no idea of recent figures though.

Honestly......I was being serious. :lol:

I watched in amazement at work last year as a young lad got his 1 day old iphone out, while he was sat in a very low comfy chair, and dropped it from no more than 2 feet......and......CRACK!!!!!
Have yet to see a cracked HTC.............even my clumsy, dis-respectful 12 year old has now had 2 and still hasn't broken one

(damn, I've said it now!!!!)

So you are basing this on 1 person you worked with.

As I just said in my previous post, I could find out exact figures for broken phones under warranty or insurance. There is no problem with iphones. It just seems like the usual anti iphone lot (for whatever reason this may be) are trying to pluck faults out of the air. And to add my individual story - I dropped an iphone down some office stairs, went quite some distance... picked it up with no damage other than a slight scuff.

And funnily enough, the company you mention (HTC) have the poorest reputation in terms of quality of handset. I could get stats if you really wanted it, but dont take my word just google it, sure it was on watchdog or something.

But yeah I expect everyone has seen more cracked iphones than HTCs, because more people probably own a iphone... who has a HTC these days ? Its apple or samsung.

Last edited:
I have an android phone and it's processor speed is.. Actually I don't know the processor speed.

But the size of the phone is, erm, phone size which is a plus.

I can use this phone to make texts and calls as well surf the internet, use GPS/maps functionality and connect with various social networks.

This phone is probably nothing special, but just happens to suit me and cost me a lot less than an iphone would have.

Now, fair enough if you're an apple customer and buy their products. That's your personal choice/taste. The people I don't understand are the people that must have the latest version NOW. Suddenly your iphone 4/4s isn't good enough? your Galaxy SII is suddenly obselete?

Fair doos if you're due an upgrade, you may as well. But buying this latest version for the sake of having it just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

I'm planning on keeping my phone until it breaks/I drop it in water (again) or I get drunk and lose it.. only then am I gonna consider buying a new one.

..and people who tell you how good their phone is.. they're the worst.

I haven't asked you about your phone so why are you showing it to me? It has a bigger screen than mine? oh right, it's also got a faster processor? oh, erm, that's nice.

To be honest I don't give a brick.

Another thing that annoys me is how Apple constantly fudges their customers over. Now they've launched a new charging connector, and it isn't even a year since the micro-usb became standard on every other phone. Idiotic.

Another thing that annoys me is how Apple constantly fudges their customers over. Now they've launched a new charging connector, and it isn't even a year since the micro-usb became standard on every other phone. Idiotic.

That's my biggest pet peeve with Apple in general. Of course, the trade-off is that since they make such good products, they can get away with it. Same with their displayport flimflam. I had to have a separate carrying case just for all the adapters I had to lug around to make sure I could hook the laptop into a projector.

The 30-pin is "due" for an upgrade since it's about a decade old, but they charge a GHod damn premium for those adapters. I'm not so bothered since I haven't had an Apple iPod/iPhone device in a long time so I'm not really losing out on any old cables/chargers.
But of course, they'll never go to micro-USB since they want to control everything about their products.

Comparison

I've never owned an iPhone and I feel like I was waiting specifically for the 5 to come out, but I'm having a really tough time deciding if the competitors will be worth it.
Screen size doesn't really matter to me. I can't see myself playing too many games on it, except while I'm waiting at an airport/on the bricker. Extra storage though microSD cards is a bonus, but also not really necessary. The only thing that might help is that since I've already got an android phone, switching over should be relatively easy. Does Apple make it easy to transfer settings over from an android phone

That's my biggest pet peeve with Apple in general. Of course, the trade-off is that since they make such good products, they can get away with it. Same with their displayport flimflam. I had to have a separate carrying case just for all the adapters I had to lug around to make sure I could hook the laptop into a projector.

I don't think there is much of a trade-off, the products aren't good enough to weigh up for such a bricky treatment. The displayport is also complete flimflam, the adapter is way too expensive and unnecessary.

The 30-pin is "due" for an upgrade since it's about a decade old, but they charge a GHod damn premium for those adapters. I'm not so bothered since I haven't had an Apple iPod/iPhone device in a long time so I'm not really losing out on any old cables/chargers.
But of course, they'll never go to micro-USB since they want to control everything about their products.

I only have an iPod, bought a classic 160GB only because of the space, has a decent batterytime also. And now I can use Spotify instead of iTunes, so it's not all bad.

Comparison

Has LTE but not NFC, though it seems like a good phone. It's also terrible that they've kept the design, some of the concept drawings looked much, much better.

I've never owned an iPhone and I feel like I was waiting specifically for the 5 to come out, but I'm having a really tough time deciding if the competitors will be worth it.
Screen size doesn't really matter to me. I can't see myself playing too many games on it, except while I'm waiting at an airport/on the bricker. Extra storage though microSD cards is a bonus, but also not really necessary. The only thing that might help is that since I've already got an android phone, switching over should be relatively easy. Does Apple make it easy to transfer settings over from an android phone

I don't know man... It's difficult for me to recommend you to buy an iPhone 5, but if you really want it then why not. If you're not happy then sell it and buy another. Don't know about the transferring, you can take the pictures on bluetooth, the rest you may have to punch in manually (I'm thinking phone numbers, the only thing that I don't save on a cloud or something nowadays) unless you save it to your sim. Do you have a phone with micro sim now? If not then I guess that's out of the option.

There are plenty of products that offer the same, and they can be used on both iOS and Android, Skype is a good example. And the iCloud? I have over 25GB space for free on Dropbox, enough for all my important documents and some pictures. That's five times the free space. Not trying to be a dingdong here, just saying.

No you're right and I use both Skype and Dropbox a lot. Lately though, I've switched to using FaceTime more as it doesn't require setting up a meeting on Skype. I can just call my parents and if they're on WiFi, we can chat. If not I'll try again later.

Dropbox I use a lot and love it. However, it would never replace iCloud. It wouldn't keep my iPad, 2 Macs and iPhone in sync because it can't do that. Dropbox is fantastic at what it does, but what it does is fairly limited.

Not sure where you get 25gb free though? I've only got 2.9gb

Back