• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Re: England's last world cup game for 12 years!!!!!

A lot of people focus on the number of foreigners in our league and pinpoint that as the reason for a lack for international success.

That IMO may be a factor but there are many factors and let's face it - foreign players are a big factor in most countries; England IMO is quite unique to many of the other countries...

The British Empire - England's cricket team benefits more than it's footie team does predominately because the population with Caribbean and South Asian heritage are big-time on the sport, much more so than they are at footie. Spain and Portugal have an advantage here... On a tangent, can we take advantage of immigration in the future with people from footie nations such as Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, etc (much like it seems Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, France, etc)?

Grassroots Football - The ethos in the past has been to 'get it out!' rather than emphasis on technical footie. This is a personal observation playing in London based 'English' leagues and other 'Mediterranean' leagues. Taking on players was encouraged in the latter whereas you'd get big Les shouting at you for keeping the ball (admittedly my experiences were 15-20 odd years ago so I'm sure it's changed now).

Good Loser Another thing we're particularly good at. It's all about taking part - this philosophy is bred from a young age. I think this does have it's merits for young children but it seems to filter through into adulthood too. It is actually commendable to be a good loser but it may take away the bite of being successful.

DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH!?!?! Why are these players not getting international experience??? We know the EPL is fantastic but learn from different cultures and leagues! I cannot think of another big footie nation's players having less air-miles!! German, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, Argentinian, Portuguese, France, Belgian... They all travel!!! Is it because of the language? Do our players struggle with their own that they are afraid to learn another???

Other Sports Perhaps footie isn't as big as we think it is? We don't have the biggest population and perhaps other sports get equal amount of interest AND/OR do not follow the above issues?

There may also be cultural elements (education, class, family, etc) but as mentioned - I do think we have an unrealistic expectation - particularly due to the focus and money of the EPL...

Just back from holiday and knackered - apologies for the mumbling...

I think a lot of those kids will opt to play for their country of birth/parents place of birth. I very much see us being like France in this respect with young kids from eastern European households training up to U21 level before opting to play for someone else.

I think a lot of those kids will opt to play for their country of birth/parents place of birth. I very much see us being like France in this respect with young kids from eastern European households training up to U21 level before opting to play for someone else.

I think it will depend on where they think that will get the most chances. Most of the French players opting for Algeria would not get as many caps for France.

The problem with England comes down to nobody trying to actually fix anything

How the **** does Hodgson still have his job? what would it take to classify him as a failure?

What the **** was Gerrard, Lampard & Rooney doing on the pitch today? a thank you gesture? for ****ing what, 2 goals between the 3 of them in World Cups combined? Hodgson had to be taking the ****, no one over 25 should have been on that pitch today.

So if the manager isn't going to change, the FA isn't going to change, the picking of fringe players from sky 4 clubs isn't going to change, the public's attention span of a fly that allows them to be distracted by **** like "Spurs players skip England games" isn't going to change, then the next 50 years is likely to be the same as the previous = **** all

I think it will depend on where they think that will get the most chances. Most of the French players opting for Algeria would not get as many caps for France.

France is also another interesting one - there appears to be racial divides in the the national team - this includes those from black communities (sub-Saharan) and Muslim communities (generally north African).

Hodgson was saying a day or two ago that main problem is a lack of first team opportunities at the top clubs, because only they have any talent coming through. (slightly paraphrasing, that's what I got from it)

The problem with England comes down to nobody trying to actually fix anything

How the **** does Hodgson still have his job? what would it take to classify him as a failure?

What the **** was Gerrard, Lampard & Rooney doing on the pitch today? a thank you gesture? for ****ing what, 2 goals between the 3 of them in World Cups combined? Hodgson had to be taking the ****, no one over 25 should have been on that pitch today.

So if the manager isn't going to change, the FA isn't going to change, the picking of fringe players from sky 4 clubs isn't going to change, the public's attention span of a fly that allows them to be distracted by **** like "Spurs players skip England games" isn't going to change, then the next 50 years is likely to be the same as the previous = **** all

You're saying that Hodgson should lose his job, but at the same time you complain about the public's attention span and how easily distracted they are. I don't understand that. For me the manager issue is just as much of a distraction issue and one that takes up the focus whereas the real problem remains unchecked.

Although of course one of the real attempts of doing something that could help included the proposal of B teams for the big PL teams and was thus heavily objected to.

Very good points imo!

A record of one semi-final overseas in 64 years since points to the absence of any coherent remedial measures. The same flaws are there, chiefly the simple failure to produce high-quality, tactically state-of-the-art players, the result of a combination of societal neglect – we play too little; we have too little space to play – and an enduringly inadequate coaching culture, backed higher up by a failure to nurture and show patience with what talent does emerge.

That stat actually surprised me.

Somewhere someone did claim that perhaps winning the World Cup in '66 hurt English football long term and that the idea that you just had to return to what was done then and that nothing was wrong with the fundamentals of English football was instilled as an idea and since lived by.

I disagree Raziel, the problem is that we have idiots trying to fix it

a general English problem sadly

Anyone else think that one of our biggest problems has been the reliance upon the big names that emerged in the early 00's? I mean the centre of defence has been filled over the last 10-15 years with some really top players (Terry, Judas, Rio, King) with Neville and Cole as fullbacks leaving no room for anyone else. Now we have a real dearth of genuine talent at the back. Then in midfield we have had Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham claiming cap after cap (in some cases when they weren't worth their call up imho). In all that time, we have only really seen Rooney push through and claim a regular spot, for the most part it has been that same core.

In the last 5 years that group have all pretty much retired from international football (or are close to it) and the squad players who filled in around them aren't good enough. Now we are clamouring for a new generation as the old guard step back. Maybe the problems seem much greater because we never intergrated upcoming players into the sides.

You're saying that Hodgson should lose his job, but at the same time you complain about the public's attention span and how easily distracted they are. I don't understand that. For me the manager issue is just as much of a distraction issue and one that takes up the focus whereas the real problem remains unchecked.

Although of course one of the real attempts of doing something that could help included the proposal of B teams for the big PL teams and was thus heavily objected to.

Regardless of the fact that Hodgson is not the cause, he is part of the problem, and failure at that level cannot be accepted without some consequence. This is the same issue of Gerrard/Lampard/Terry/etc. failing to deliver time and time again and somehow still playing, still be selected.

If someone can be bothered to search for it, I'm sure I wrote on this board when Hodgson was selected that England would qualify boringly and go out early of a major tournament with a whimper under Hodgson, amazingly predictable ..

I disagree Raziel, the problem is that we have idiots trying to fix it

a general English problem sadly

I think people are giving lip service to the issue, not trying to fix.

Seriously how was Hodgson allowed to pick Gerrard/Lampard/Rooney in the last game where he could have given 90 minutes to someone who might actually be at the next world cup? and what was the point?

Somewhere someone did claim that perhaps winning the World Cup in '66 hurt English football long term and that the idea that you just had to return to what was done then and that nothing was wrong with the fundamentals of English football was instilled as an idea and since lived by.

It's a point I made after the Uruguay game but it was lifted from the Numbers Game

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fapatalk

Agree with most of that - except the lack of space.

There's not much space in a favela, Indian cricketers learn in no space at all - if you want to play you'll find space. In dropping my wife off at work (teacher in a sink estate) we drive past a lot of spaces that could easily be used for a kick about. Yet even during a World Cup I've seen kids kicking a ball around once.

Compare that to when I was at junior school. I'd be in at 8 so I could have half an hour of football on our concrete courtyard. Morning and afternoon break I'd be out there playing a 15 min match and every lunch the same.

Now they're just filling their faces with Greggs and getting each other pregnant.

There's not much space in a favela, Indian cricketers learn in no space at all - if you want to play you'll find space. In dropping my wife off at work (teacher in a sink estate) we drive past a lot of spaces that could easily be used for a kick about. Yet even during a World Cup I've seen kids kicking a ball around once.

Compare that to when I was at junior school. I'd be in at 8 so I could have half an hour of football on our concrete courtyard. Morning and afternoon break I'd be out there playing a 15 min match and every lunch the same.

Now they're just filling their faces with Greggs and getting each other pregnant.
For a kick about that is fine, we used to play in the road, but the selling off of playing fields certainly won't have helped with coaching young kids

For a kick about that is fine, we used to play in the road, but the selling off of playing fields certainly won't have helped with coaching young kids
If the kids aren't having a kick about then there's nobody to coach.

Once kids are interested in a sport then travelling to training shouldn't be an issue. I have friends in Chipping Norton who drive their daughter (plus equipment) to Henley 3 times a week for rowing. I used to travel 15 miles for training as a kid and a friend of mine runs an academy for 12-15 year olds in Southampton that has kids attending from all over Europe.

Regardless of the fact that Hodgson is not the cause, he is part of the problem, and failure at that level cannot be accepted without some consequence. This is the same issue of Gerrard/Lampard/Terry/etc. failing to deliver time and time again and somehow still playing, still be selected.

If someone can be bothered to search for it, I'm sure I wrote on this board when Hodgson was selected that England would qualify boringly and go out early of a major tournament with a whimper under Hodgson, amazingly predictable ..

Performances were fine (I didn't watch the CR game). A tight group, close, didn't quite make it. I see no reason to think that he's part of the underlying problem. Blaming one manager after another in a long line of often at least reasonable managers for the failures caused by underlying problems, now that's part of the problem.

It's a point I made after the Uruguay game but it was lifted from the Numbers Game

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fapatalk

Cheers :)

There are some other differences between the UK and the favelas as you know. But there are fewer differences between the UK and Germany, Holland, Croatia and Spain. So, what's the difference?

Blaming the kids makes no sense to me considering that you're very capable of succeeding in other sports.

That my brogue wearing friend I like to bathe in custard, I had a football attached to my foot as a child combine that with a hatred of school home work. Children are not outside enough I may sound like an old fart but it is true. In other countries particularly the emerging countries I doubt they are playing playstation and that is why they will win world cups.

I used to play football in a park after school (sometimes in school hours as well :)) and then on the way home we used to play in a garage compound now all kids want to do is play computer games.

With a rising population homes need to be built, though I agree with your view. Really think they need to build more homes in the North I like the idea of Highspeed 2 though this is going off topic slightly.

Think schools could and should open more in the evenings as the sports halls could be used for better effect.

Back