• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I Thought Everyone Hated Us!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-now-more-hated-manchester-8495063

A bit more detail at the bottom of this article about the breakdown for each team. Those who "hate" or are "hated by" Tottenham :
Tottenham
Most hated by: Arsenal (86%), Chelsea (85%), Leicester (76%)
Mostly hate: Arsenal (92%), Chelsea (91%), Manchester United (64%)
Have to assume Leicester's place would normally be taken by the Spam (74%).

Of course, as it's only amongst PL teams, it doesn't really work - e.g. Sunderland fans can't pick Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
Just a bit of a silly-survey story for the close season really.

Not suprised by those results. Chelsea really are an abomination. If we can help to deny them a top 4 finish, basically we can hope the mercenarys disappear along with Roman. Nothing Would please me more than to see those gits implode due to an extended absence from the champions league.

In all my years of going to football I've only hate one team Wimbledon, just a bunch of thugs who the media loved.

lol most people's second fav team I would have thought!

Surprised West Ham aren't higher up there - any teams fans who turn up to a game and sing pro nazi songs and how they wish England lost the war, are total scum!

well I hate them but at least they have a lon running standing of success in the English game. Chelsea and city would be in my top three. With those who Should not be named in first.

I have a lot of family who are Utd fans and once worked up there, i got sick to death of them bragging about their wins.

I know what you mean, i actually wrote to Bassett and told him his team were a disgrace to football. Give the guy his due though he did reply with a decent ( funny) reply.
no doubt you papped your pants once he threatened to send Vinnie and the boys round :)

This proves that there is a definite correlation between success and not being liked by others. I'd say its a healthy position to be in. There are 7 main reasons why I believe you choose to 'hate' another team:

1. They're your historic rivals....and it becomes part of the folklore about why you support your team e.g. Liverpool and Man Utd, Chelsea and Leeds.

2. They're your local rivals....will almost always include reasons described above but chances are you have to work/go to school with fans of the other team.

3. They're morally bankrupt.....usually as a result of large oversea's ethically questionable fortunes; throw money around and win success off the back of it. Chelsea being the obvious example but also City.

4. Particular players/manager/style of football......e.g. 'Dirty Leeds' of the 70's; defensive Arsenal of the 80s; any team under Mourinho; long-ball/thuggish Wimbledon, John Terry.

5. Fans.....usually accused of being 'deluded'. I think everyone thinks every set of fans is deluded. Twitter/social media brings out the worst but for the record its worth saying every set of fans (including ours) has a mixed bag of deluded/arrogant and realistic/pessimistic groups. Fans of ALL clubs are fickle (i hate when we are labelled as that!)....the best example of a fanbase creating antagonism towards the club is surely Liverpool but then I know plenty who say the same of us.
Could also take into consideration racist/other particularly unpleasant elements.

6. They hate us....usually owing to one of the above but Southampton tinkled me off a lot during mid 00's.

7. Success/jealousy. Rarely does anyone admit this but jealousy plays a big part. I decided that I hated Man U for much of the 90s for no better reason than they were bloody good and kept beating us. However, once it became Man U or Woolwich for the title every season I soon started to appreciate them!

Additionally there are those completely irrational hatreds for teams that don't fit any of the above.

Important to point out that many of these are connected too; for example you're traditional local rivals are likely to have more fans who you come into day to day contact with; I doubt many of us would describe Everton fans as deluded but that's probably because we don't meet many. Likewise a morally bankrupt club who achieve success will no doubt attract johnny come lately supporters.

From the list above Arsenal clearly score top marks for categories 1,2 and 5. Those of who grew up in the 80s and 90s would score them highly for 4. Not sure you can throw 3. at them though.

Chelsea however would score strongly in every category.

It's clear the more successful you are* the more you're hated. So here's hoping we'll be the most hated team come the end of the season.:D

*Last season was a one-off for Leicester not just because of the fairy-story element to their rise but also because they continue to be perceived purely as a provincial club that got lucky rather than any real threat to the big boys long term.

Well, I can chime in with a perspective from my travels in Asia and say that,for the most part, we're unknown - in the rare cases where we're known by somebody, we're pretty much disliked either for finishing ahead of the club that said person supports (usually Liverpool), refusing to sell our players to that person's club or chiseling outrageous fees out of them when we do so (United, Chelsea and Madrid). Well, apart from Arsenal fans, for obvious reasons.

@GPRD81's list is valid for fans immersed in British football culture, which most Asian fans eventually adopt after a long time spent supporting their clubs (for perspective, I tend to find that people around their late 20's who picked up on supporting English clubs when the Prem began gaining popularity in the mid-2000's are now pretty much indistinguishable from your homegrown variety). But otherwise, we're disliked for more immediate reasons - namely what we've gotten up to in the last few years, good and bad.

Of course, I'd much rather that we were known and disliked than we were not known at all, a fate that befalls many smaller clubs with pretensions to worldwide popularity (like that bunch in claret and blue). ;)

Well, I can chime in with a perspective from my travels in Asia and say that,for the most part, we're unknown - in the rare cases where we're known by somebody, we're pretty much disliked either for finishing ahead of the club that said person supports (usually Liverpool), refusing to sell our players to that person's club or chiseling outrageous fees out of them when we do so (United, Chelsea and Madrid). Well, apart from Arsenal fans, for obvious reasons.

@GPRD81's list is valid for fans immersed in British football culture, which most Asian fans eventually adopt after a long time spent supporting their clubs (for perspective, I tend to find that people around their late 20's who picked up on supporting English clubs when the Prem began gaining popularity in the mid-2000's are now pretty much indistinguishable from your homegrown variety). But otherwise, we're disliked for more immediate reasons - namely what we've gotten up to in the last few years, good and bad.

Of course, I'd much rather that we were known and disliked than we were not known at all, a fate that befalls many smaller clubs with pretensions to worldwide popularity (like that bunch in claret and blue). ;)
I think it's safe to say we were the most hated team for the latter part of last season, simply for trying to ruin the Leicester fairy tale.

Back