• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

As i have said on here before ( and took stick for saying so) he is a very GOOD keeper but i never thought he was world class like i have heard many say, he is great at sweeping up behind the defense but he gets beat at his near post quite a lot and his handling this season has been poor.

Judging him to keepers i have seen in a Spurs shirt he would rate the 3rd best we have had ( imo).

As i have said on here before ( and took stick for saying so) he is a very GOOD keeper but i never thought he was world class like i have heard many say, he is great at sweeping up behind the defense but he gets beat at his near post quite a lot and his handling this season has been poor.

Judging him to keepers i have seen in a Spurs shirt he would rate the 3rd best we have had ( imo).

Great post actually. Funny how we demonise some players and then exalt others. Lloris has too many flaws to be called anything close to world class. Distribution is abysmal, he is powder-puff in the air, regularly flaps at crosses and corners and is suspect to a saveable near post attempt.

However he is excellent at sweeping and this is probably the key quality a keeper in a Pochettino team needs to have. He also seems a good leader.

Curious who the better two keepers are... Jennings and Clemence?

That’s fair enough to rate him third best Spurs keeper, but considering Clemence retired in the late 80’s, about 30 years ago, I’d suggest most posters on here won’t have seen your top two play. So it’s only natural there’s plenty of love for the best keeper we’ve had in a generation.

How do people rate him compared to Friedel? Granted he was only a regular for one season and he didn't do anything spectacular but I always thought he was a safe pair of hands (excuse the pun), a steady Eddie. That isn't meant as a criticism in any shape or form.

How do people rate him compared to Friedel? Granted he was only a regular for one season and he didn't do anything spectacular but I always thought he was a safe pair of hands (excuse the pun), a steady Eddie. That isn't meant as a criticism in any shape or form.

What, Lloris? Better than Friedel in almost every respect - and that's not a slight on Big Brad, because he was good too. But Lloris was (and is) just flat-out better. The same safe pair of hands, and probably the same sort of respected presence in the dressing room... but much quicker off his line, more ready to command his area, quicker getting down to save shots and a bit more agile when rising to collect or punch the ball.

We don't even need to make it a hypothetical comparison - Hugo literally replaced Brad after less than half a season competing with him for the No.1 shirt in 12/13. ;)

I think he was the perfect type of keeper after the Gomes years (sublime to the ridiculous), but like you say did nothing spectacular.

What, Lloris? Better than Friedel in almost every respect - and that's not a slight on Big Brad, because he was good too. But Lloris was (and is) just flat-out better. The same safe pair of hands, and probably the same sort of respected presence in the dressing room... but much quicker off his line, more ready to command his area, quicker getting down to save shots and a bit more agile when rising to collect or punch the ball.

We don't even need to make it a hypothetical comparison - Hugo literally replaced Brad after less than half a season competing with him for the No.1 shirt in 12/13. ;)

Oh I don't argue for one minute that Lloris isn't more talented but Friedel didn't make as many mistakes as Lloris. Granted Lloris has a larger body of work to choose from but I can't recall any blunders from Friedel in a year and a half.

Oh I don't argue for one minute that Lloris isn't more talented but Friedel didn't make as many mistakes as Lloris. Granted Lloris has a larger body of work to choose from but I can't recall any blunders from Friedel in a year and a half.

Hmm. I'd actually agree with you - Friedel was an incredibly safe pair of hands. However, I never got the sense that he was going to be a match-winner, if you catch my drift - someone who could pull something wonderful out of the bag to save a tricky situation. He was good at shot-stopping, and he would almost never make a mistake - but, conversely, he would probably get predictably done in most situations that heavily favored the attacker.

Lloris can do that. I've lost count of the number of times he's pulled saves out from nowhere or rushed out to clear a dangerous ball (or tackle it so well that the forward goes flying while Lloris gets up, calm as an oak tree, ball at his feet). Yes, he's a bit shakier overall, but he's also a lot more useful in all sorts of ways to an aggressive game like ours - and he's 'brave', Poch's favorite word. :)

Hmm. I'd actually agree with you - Friedel was an incredibly safe pair of hands. However, I never got the sense that he was going to be a match-winner, if you catch my drift - someone who could pull something wonderful out of the bag to save a tricky situation. He was good at shot-stopping, and he would almost never make a mistake - but, conversely, he would probably get predictably done in most situations that heavily favored the attacker.

Lloris can do that. I've lost count of the number of times he's pulled saves out from nowhere or rushed out to clear a dangerous ball (or tackle it so well that the forward goes flying while Lloris gets up, calm as an oak tree, ball at his feet). Yes, he's a bit shakier overall, but he's also a lot more useful in all sorts of ways to an aggressive game like ours - and he's 'brave', Poch's favorite word. :)

I think Friedel definitely was a match winner earlier in his career, particularly at Blackburn, seem to recall a match at Highbury when they got battered and Friedel made save after save and they snatched a 2-1 win.

I can’t remember too many blunders from Hugo in his first few seasons and, at that point, I’d have classed him as world class easily.

The last few months a lot of mistakes have crept into his game that have cost us goals. He’s been pretty poor overall but hopefully can recover. At 31, he’s still young for a keeper.

I think Friedel definitely was a match winner earlier in his career, particularly at Blackburn, seem to recall a match at Highbury when they got battered and Friedel made save after save and they snatched a 2-1 win.

Right, but not at Spurs. Which was the point - I can remember one game at the Lane where he was truly outstanding (I think against Blackburn? I'm not sure), but otherwise, he was just....solid, really. Predictable. He only did what he could do well, and did it consistently. But not more than that.

Friedel was a bag of potatoes. He had the weight to stop shots directly at him, which Gomes too often let through. Beyond that and nothing special. He caught what he should catch, and "made sure" that the goals were "impossible" to save, leaving him guilt free. One reason being that his mobility was of a bag of potatoes. Many of the through balls Lloris sweeps would end up as unsavable goals with Friedel.

The save Lloris made from Chicharito October 2016 would've been a certain goal.

Keeper better than Lloris? Gomes at his prime, but that didn't last more than 2 seasons. Thorstvedt perhaps? Or.... Not really. Lloris is better than them both, even with his latest howlers.

Last edited:

With respect, that's ridiculous... age for age, Lloris is a better shot stopper and has much more agility than Friedel had. However, Hugo does not even get close to Brad in terms of handling of crosses and corners; Friedel - even in his declining years - would never have let in last Tuesday's second goal. His distribution was also first class, unlike the Frenchman.

However, as I said before, the one key attribute that Lloris has in bucket loads more than Friedel is his sweeping... and in this Pochettino team that is critical. Therefore, playing in this Spurs team under this manager with his tactics, Lloris is a better keeper...

He's a weird one Lloris, I keep thinking I cant put him in the top class bracket of keepers then he will have a match where he pulls off some ridiculous saves that only the best can do. I guess that's the issue - consistency. He's not as good as De Gea etc, he just makes too many mistakes. Very grateful to have him though....

He's a weird one Lloris, I keep thinking I cant put him in the top class bracket of keepers then he will have a match where he pulls off some ridiculous saves that only the best can do. I guess that's the issue - consistency. He's not as good as De Gea etc, he just makes too many mistakes. Very grateful to have him though....

So basically described as a less erratic gomes ...

I do think we need to look at his long term replacement now rather than later. Butland would be a good option and loan him back for 2 years?

de Gea has a big weakness too.. he doesn’t leave his line and it costs them goals. The reason it won’t flagged up is because he doesn’t actually make a mistake by saying rooted to his line and he generally dives near to the ball as it goes in

Back